Rented an M10 -- a little surprised

Astropap

On 10/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, Brian C in Az said:

If you are going to see your money devalue, then you may as well enjoy it during the process.

OT -

For one historical view of that there's "When Money Dies" by Adam Fergusson, a study of the hyper inflation in Weimar Germany. Fergusson sticks to the process and, in spite of politics playing a role, avoids a political morass. Lots of buying of things then too. 🙄 More readable than the typical Economics text. Read it when it's too dark for your new Noctilux.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:19 AM, pico said:

Depends upon your portfolio. :)We Buffett people call that enabling behavior. Well, if you got it, go for it. Not me.

The problem with Warren Buffet's philosophy is that nobody ever gets to enjoy the fruits of their hard work. I've seen so many people work and save and live on shoestring budgets watching their wealth grow, then less than a year after retirement, the person dies. Many times, they don't even make it to retirement.  How sad.

I much prefer Solomon's advice and attitude towards money.

"And people should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, for these are gifts from God."

Warren Buffet was a pauper compared to Solomon's wealth.

Buy it, enjoy it, be grateful for your good fortune. 

30 minutes ago, Brian C in Az said:

The problem with Warren Buffet's philosophy is that nobody ever gets to enjoy the fruits of their hard work. I've seen so many people work and save and live on shoestring budgets watching their wealth grow, then less than a year after retirement, the person dies. Many times, they don't even make it to retirement.

It is unfortunate that many persons die shortly before or after retiring. It has nothing to do with their savings or investments, but everything regarding the ordinary facts of aging.

Spend yourself into dire debt if you wish. It all balances out at your death, one more insignificant person evaporated hopefully without consequences to their family.

Edited by pico

51 minutes ago, pico said:

It is unfortunate that many persons die shortly before or after retiring. It has nothing to do with their savings or investments, but everything regarding the ordinary facts of aging.

I never said it has anything to do with their savings. I only said it is a shame to work hard and not enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

Too many people forget to stop and smell the roses or enjoy a sunset because they are too busy working themselves to death.

Spend yourself into dire debt if you wish. It all balances out at your death, one more insignificant person evaporated hopefully without consequences to their family.

You sound spitefull and frustrated in that statement. I never mentioned debt or borrowing money to buy my SL or for him to borrow to buy his M. I said to enjoy his hard earned money as opposed to seeing it lose value (per his observation). I said, "if your money is going to lose value, why not let it be in a new M and enjoy it during the devaluation. Quite different than your incorrect interpretation of my words.

SInce this isn't a financial forum, let's skip the debate over opinions of money and enjoy our good fortune of living in a time with such wonderful toys and being of the financial means to which we may acquire such toy and enjoy them.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The topic of money losing value was brought up by the OP when he commented that he may have to delay his purchase due to his current portfolio taking a dip in value. 

My reply was is your money is going to loss value, you may as well enjoy it via purchasing the M instead of watching it lose value on paper and not getting any pleasure from it at all.

Though it was not directed to Pico, he didn't like my attitude towards money and investments.

Enjoy it while you can and be thankful for it. I don't want to be sitting in a retirement home with a bunch of regrets for not doing things when I had the opportunity. The one asset that we can not save or multiple is time. Spend time wisely with friends and family. No one ever laid in a hospital bed wishing that they had worked more hours or closed one more deal. Many do lie there regretting not spending time where it really matters; with family and friends, living life. 

I've managed to retire while still alive! However, my health isn't that great and more importantly, after saving for retirement all my life and trying to be reasonably frugal, I find it pretty hard to spend money in retirement, even though I have it to spend. I've become a miser in my old age. Though I did buy an M10 recently so I managed to pry my wallet open after all. 👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Why is money going to lose value? Inflation is currently around 2.2 percent. Ten year government bonds yield 3.2 percent. That’s a real return of 10 percent over ten years not counting the compounding effect. The only thing that may lose value over that time is oneself. 

As interest rates & bond yields are trending upwards, bond prices will fall.

There's always an inverse correlation between bond yields and prices.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Jono:

As interest rates & bond yields are trending upwards, bond prices will fall.

There's always an inverse correlation between bond yields and prices.

First, the Fed only controls short term rates. Ten year interest rates can actually fall even if short term rates rise. The yield curve then flattens or inverts. Second, irrespective of this, today the Treasury is selling 10 year government bonds to finance the deficit as it does periodically. See here: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/quarterly-refunding/Documents/auctions.pdf. You buy at face value $10,000 worth of US Treasuries and you hold to maturity. Irrespective of what interest rates may do in between, you get to collect 3.2 percent every year and get your $10,000 back in 2028.

If ten year interest rates were to go to 4 percent in the meantime, you would just have lost the opportunity to invest your money even better. 

11 hours ago, Astropap said:

I was impressed with how much highlight detail I could recover. And how sharpening didn’t create ugly artifacts. Very impressive to me. 

if you shoot a lot at night, you may find that the M10 needs higher ISO to maintain the same shutter speed as your Q.

I use iSO1600 a lot on my Q, and find I need ISO6400 on my M10 to obtain roughly equivalent shutter speeds. I also need to lift contrast more on my M10 images vs my Q.

YMMV, of course :)

Edited by Guest

On 10/12/2018 at 4:44 AM, Chaemono said:

It does with me. When stocks go down, one feels less confident about the future, job security, ability to attract the opposite sex, and whether one should get one more Leica lens. The Fed seems to have gone loco with interest rates, darn it!

Hmm. Doesn't have that effect on me. I basically ignore the stock market unless I need to trade some stock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1