Best screen calibration software

Your question is rather jumbled.  The Spyder 3 is hardware, not software.  When you buy screen calibration hardware,  it comes with its own software.  Also I don't know what you mean by "a difference between gelatin and glass models".

Zeitz, for me it is the software which requires specific hardware on the screen and they are a pair. As for gelatine versus glass, some cheaper packages use gelatine filters in the hardware elements rather than glass. Gelatine has a more limited life of accuracy before deterioration. 

Actually the question which few actually ask is about the viability of calibration versus experience and/or the need for 'accuracy' and its 'tolerance'. I used to calibrate everything but I have now given up and rely one 'learning' my screen and the outputs required. Not viable for 'absolute' colour requirements (oddly enough I'm working on such a requirement for a customer at the moment and all we are really able to do is ensure that at point of supply, the colour is as 'accurate' as we can practically ensure. I see few 'absolute' workflows and in all honesty few of us genuinely need them. The variables involved in ensuring 'accurate' colour reproduction require far more than simple screen calibration.

The camera / lens combination profile, the screen calibration, and the printer profile for a specific printer / paper have to be correct for accurate color.  Of these I think the printer / paper profile is the hardest.  But you are right that accurate color is not always the objective and may not even be desirable in most cases.  However, I do like to have the printer to match what I see on the screen.

If you like the results you get with the Spyder 3, see what the cost of an upgrade might be. I have the Spyder 4, and they're always emailing with upgrade offers. I'm fine with version 4, I calibrate my monitor weekly (probably not strictly necessary) and like the consistency I get printing.

Thank you everyone - I opted for the Colormunki Display.

Next issue is building a printer profile to ensure correct hard copy, but the Colormunki Display will not do that, they tell me I need a spectrophotometer but they seem very expensive and I could not justify the cost. Has anyone found a way to profile the printer which is less expensive.  I have heard there might be a service somewhere that one can send a printed colour chart to and they return an appropriate profile for a given printer model but I do not know where that is. A UK/EU contact would be particularly useful.

2 hours ago, leica dream said:

Thank you everyone - I opted for the Colormunki Display.

Next issue is building a printer profile to ensure correct hard copy, but the Colormunki Display will not do that, they tell me I need a spectrophotometer but they seem very expensive and I could not justify the cost. Has anyone found a way to profile the printer which is less expensive.  I have heard there might be a service somewhere that one can send a printed colour chart to and they return an appropriate profile for a given printer model but I do not know where that is. A UK/EU contact would be particularly useful.

https://www.permajet.com/Products/PermaJet-ICC-Profiling-Services-for-Inkjet-Papers

If you only want a few papers profiled this is cheaper than buying your own spectrophotometer. If you buy their own paper, profiling is free. In fact you can get quite a lot of papers profiled before it's worth buying the hardware yourself.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Thank you , Paul, for that link. Looks quite similar to another outfit I found called "Pure Profiles". As you say, it will be better probably for me to submit occasional orders instead of buying my own device.

I think, Eric, that I made a mistake by getting just the "display"  option instead of the "photo" version. I guess that comes with lack of experience.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:21 AM, Nowhereman said:

Another question is whether and how a different approach, or equipment, is best used for a highly adjustable external monitor, like an Eizo, vs. the built-in monitor of a portable computer like the MacBook Pro, which has only a brightness control.

What do you mean? You can can change the color profile and everything else on your MBP.