frogoutofwater

Won a V-Lux in a photo contest

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a little while in the Leica Forum, but now that I have my new V-Lux in hand, I thought I'd post something here.

My regular camera is a full-frame Pentax K-1, and I've been using that system for several years to make portraits of rescued animals. In 2018, I entered portraits of rescued chickens in United Photo Industries' content for The Fence 2018. The Fence is an eight-city, large-scale outdoor exhibition where they print the winning photo series on a water-resistant canvas and hang them on fences in high-traffic areas. The exhibitions usually coincide with photography festivals, like Photoville in New York City.

Earlier this year, I was thrilled to learn that my series, Is This My Beautiful House?, was selected for the eight-city exhibition series. And then a few weeks ago, I was even happier to learn that I'd won The People's Choice Award. The prize package for that award includes a Leica V-Lux and free tuition for a Leica Masterclass.

http://fence.photoville.com/artist/is-this-my-beautiful-house/

Although I don't expect the V-Lux to replace my Pentax, I can see that it will come in handy when I (or my husband) don't want to carry all of our kit around. When I'm photographing animals, I often need zoom lenses because I might be photographing someone at my feet one minute and someone far away the next. So the long zoom range of the V-Lux seems like it will come in handy. I'm looking forward to putting the camera through its paces and learning more about it in this forum.

PS - If anyone is interested in learning more about the submission process for The Fence 2019, I'd be happy to share what I've learned about it.

2 hours ago, frogoutofwater said:

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a little while in the Leica Forum, but now that I have my new V-Lux in hand, I thought I'd post something here.

My regular camera is a full-frame Pentax K-1, and I've been using that system for several years to make portraits of rescued animals. In 2018, I entered portraits of rescued chickens in United Photo Industries' content for The Fence 2018. The Fence is an eight-city, large-scale outdoor exhibition where they print the winning photo series on a water-resistant canvas and hang them on fences in high-traffic areas. The exhibitions usually coincide with photography festivals, like Photoville in New York City.

Earlier this year, I was thrilled to learn that my series, Is This My Beautiful House?, was selected for the eight-city exhibition series. And then a few weeks ago, I was even happier to learn that I'd won The People's Choice Award. The prize package for that award includes a Leica V-Lux and free tuition for a Leica Masterclass.

http://fence.photoville.com/artist/is-this-my-beautiful-house/

Although I don't expect the V-Lux to replace my Pentax, I can see that it will come in handy when I (or my husband) don't want to carry all of our kit around. When I'm photographing animals, I often need zoom lenses because I might be photographing someone at my feet one minute and someone far away the next. So the long zoom range of the V-Lux seems like it will come in handy. I'm looking forward to putting the camera through its paces and learning more about it in this forum.

PS - If anyone is interested in learning more about the submission process for The Fence 2019, I'd be happy to share what I've learned about it.

Congratulations !

Where can we see the winning photos  ?!

Best, JM.

Edited by JMF

13 minutes ago, JMF said:

Congratulations !

Where can we see the winning photos  ?!

Best, JM.

The link in my original post will take you to my series, along with the artist's statement. There is a lot of other excellent work from other photographers in the exhibition, too.
The Fence is currently on view in Atlanta, Santa Fe and Durham.