It's just not comfy

Nevik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, 250swb said:

I did say that the shutter should be cocked to hold and steady the camera with the advance lever. I disagree with the idea of raising the camera to the eye and not having the shutter cocked, but that is a whole other debate, suffice to say that if you aren't ready to take a photograph it hardly matters how you hold the camera...

OK, I got it. If you are waiting for the moment to shoot then it is another matter. In that case shutter is cocked and not one but both hands are on the camera. You don't need extra grip on the right hand in that situation. In fact the weight of the camera is more on the left hand. My comment was more on how to hold it in right hand while you are walking. I simply wrap my neck strap couple of times on my wrist and let the camera hang, holding it lightly between my fingers.

20 hours ago, 250swb said:

Those hideous grips are the most uncomfortable way to hold a Leica ever devised. The only way they work is if you have the considerable extra weight of a motor drive and an especially heavy lens on the camera, otherwise they are as un-ergonomic as you can get.

I like using half-cases on my M's, it's not as bulky and ugly(?) as a grip, but provides a softer surface to grab as well as protection against dings and scratches.

I am amazed that "holding and working" an M camera not simply perfect!

I have small hands, use right eye and it fits so perfect (as does a Pentax SLR Spotmatic and K1000).

I have grip on M6TTL which is nice but really not needed.

My favorite camera, the M3, less so M2.

I been working with M3 professionally for 51 years...

I absolutely hate using my Rollei 35.

Twin lens cameras(i have a Rollei) make me feel fat.. looking at my tummy.

The Leica M is the one for me.

I guess you don't bond with it, sell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am 11.10.2018 um 10:08 schrieb Nevik:

Hi, I'm having a problem with Leica M. I bought a M4P to get into the system and see how it all works for me. I'm not a stranger to RF or manual focusing or film.

My problem is I just find the M awkward to hold and a bit fiddly to use. It gets worse if I add a neck strap. So consequence is I don't use it much. If shooting Street I prefer my little Rollei SE, half the size of a M and a meter too. Landscape a Rolleiflex beats it in so many ways or something bigger like a my Linhof. I'm not having the love affair with the M I thought I would have. It's not the take it anywhere camera ready for that quick shot I thought it would be, especially compared to the Rollei 35 SE. I so much want to like this system but its leaving me a bit cold.

Am I the only one that finds it not comfy to use?  it digs into pressure points on my hand and fingers, I have to keep adjusting how I hold it to relieve those points if using it for anything other than a quick shot.

I don't have those problems, but I can imagine them. I have leather cases. No problem to photograph for 7 hours at a stretch. 

I too had and still occasionally have problems with my M9 where my fingers / nails would scrape against the barrel prior to pressing the shutter. 

When I used the neck strap I would wound that around my hand to give extra support. Though once the shot taken I had the fiddly job of unwinding it to free my wrist.  Awhile back I changed over to a wrist strap of the climbing rope type (  'tie Her Up' ) and when shooting have it looped around my hand between my thumb and index finger, it seems to work and offers me a sturdier grip and the thickness of the rope strap helps distance my fingers from touching the barrel which I found both irritating and and distracting when about to press the shutter. 

I love my M9 but with me I had to adapt to the camera.  And for the moment this solution seems to suit.  Of course the problem lessens when using my Summicron Ridged because of its diminutive size.

On 10/11/2018 at 4:08 AM, Nevik said:

Hi, I'm having a problem with Leica M. I bought a M4P to get into the system and see how it all works for me. I'm not a stranger to RF or manual focusing or film.

My problem is I just find the M awkward to hold and a bit fiddly to use. It gets worse if I add a neck strap. So consequence is I don't use it much. If shooting Street I prefer my little Rollei SE, half the size of a M and a meter too. Landscape a Rolleiflex beats it in so many ways or something bigger like a my Linhof. I'm not having the love affair with the M I thought I would have. It's not the take it anywhere camera ready for that quick shot I thought it would be, especially compared to the Rollei 35 SE. I so much want to like this system but its leaving me a bit cold.

Am I the only one that finds it not comfy to use?  it digs into pressure points on my hand and fingers, I have to keep adjusting how I hold it to relieve those points if using it for anything other than a quick shot.

I had two Rollei and let them go and get rid of all TLRs and so was with LF. They are too slow and clunky.

If I would have used Rollei, I could take it as argument, but I had and used them. Are you just trolling here?  :) Because to me my M4-2 is everywhere, anything and quick camera. 

Am 11.10.2018 um 23:28 schrieb 250swb:

Those hideous grips are the most uncomfortable way to hold a Leica ever devised. The only way they work is if you have the considerable extra weight of a motor drive and an especially heavy lens on the camera, otherwise they are as un-ergonomic as you can get.

I find it absolute comfy on my M6. It always depends on personal like or dislike.  My hands are fairly big. Just my 2 cents. And the Leica motordrive with handgrip is absolut silent. You could take pics in a theatre. Nikon and Canon motordrives are as loud as a Caterpillar digger!

Edited by earthphoto
Erweitrrung

On 10/14/2018 at 9:15 PM, adan said:

Uhhh - the Rollei SE is not medium format, nor a TLR. Speaking of trolling....

https://www.cameraquest.com/rol35se.htm

I wrote about Rollei 35 a difficult to use camera..

I mentioned on next line! I wasn't happy with twin lens.

I know difference of my Rollei TLR 75mm Tessar and the now smaller dented, dinged Rollei 35..

59 minutes ago, pixie said:

I wrote about Rollei 35 a difficult to use camera..

I mentioned on next line! I wasn't happy with twin lens.

I know difference of my Rollei TLR 75mm Tessar and the now smaller dented, dinged Rollei 35..

I think adan (Andy) was responding to Ko.Fe.’s post. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

There are two items that will make any M camera comfortable to hold and they are either a "thumbie" or "thumbs up" and a half case, the half case.

The "thumbie" is a small brass thumb grip that sticks onto the camera so doesn't use up the hotshoe.

With both attached I can confidently hold my M with one hand and no pain or cramping.

• 2 weeks later...

I always photograph holding the camera with my left hand which allows me to operate the lens, focus and aperture with two fingers and with the right hand on the right side of the camera operating the shutter and the film advance lever. Never a problem. When walking neck strap and the camera is hanging bandolier style. The same for my M10 (of course I do not advance the film😊

Same way when I use my Nikon FM2T

Never considered to photograph using only one hand!

robert

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, robert blu said:

I always photograph holding the camera with my left hand which allows me to operate the lens, focus and aperture with two fingers and with the right hand on the right side of the camera operating the shutter and the film advance lever. Never a problem. When walking neck strap and the camera is hanging bandolier style. The same for my M10 (of course I do not advance the film😊

Same way when I use my Nikon FM2T

Never considered to photograph using only one hand!

robert

Same here. It is the classic way to hold a camera: comfortable, effective, and efficient.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s how Leica wants the camera held.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1