Leica CL substitute for Leica Q?

Just now, bags27 said:

that Q will definitely be an inconspicuous street camera! 😀

seriously, enjoy. we're looking forward to seeing the results here.

Not exactly the most inconspicuous colour, i agree and some would argue goes against the Q's potential as a 'Q' camera (a la Q car). But it works for me!

• Like 1

Couple of photos of the Red and Silver Q

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by howiebrou

one more

Edited by howiebrou

On 10/11/2018 at 3:52 AM, ropo54 said:

No, from my experience (and I have tried the combinations) the Q does the better job. 

Rob

Likewise I have both and in terms of image quallity there is VERY little between them BUT whereas the Q has image stabilisation the CL does not and at least in my experience this is a massive plus for the Q and as such justifies me keeping and using both. Don

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With it's sisters

I don’t own either of the two camera’s, so that’s my bias. I would always go for the CL because it belongs to the L gang, which has recently broadened its possibilities even more. The immediate advantage is the almost doubling of the length of your lenses when using the CL for them. The Q has always been, but recently even more, a very expensive luxury tool, if you already own M or R lenses. I never really believed in the cropped images from the Q and from what I’ve seen here the APS-C format of the CL is not easily distinguishable from FF, whereas the sharpness of the Q shots often leaves an unsatisfied feeling with me. For my coming trip to Japan I still think of buying a CL for nearly half the price of a Q, because the SL is a wonderfull camera but a bit heavy (although my PeakDesign Slide strap lives up to its promise that heavy cameras feel much lighter with them). 

Edited by otto.f

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, carbon_dragon said:

Not sure which M that is, but clearly you have some choices when you go out to take some pictures. Under what circumstances would you take the Q?

I literally just posted something about this on another thread. My Q works for non-essential stuff or when i know i won't need anything longer than 28mm. I think it's use will grow though. Still not used to using AF after so many years with MF lenses.

• 6 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:12 PM, howiebrou said:

I am going to post this in both leica Q and Leica CL forums and hopefully I can negate the bias of each type of owner!

I am looking for a replacement for my Sony RX1MkII which had a 35mm F/2 Zeiss lens and served me well for a number of years. I need a smallish camera to carry around and the Leica Q is at the top of the list but the CL with a 35mm TL summilux f/1.4 or 23mm F/2 TL lens seems, on paper at least to be a possible alternative. Yes the CL is APS-C but apparently it is also of high quality. My question is; is this comparing apples with oranges. The Q has a lot to brag about: great IQ, great handling and a great lens but i am not insistent on a 28mm lens either and the 23mm f/2 TL lens is the equivalent of a 35mm which many Q owners seem to want as well. The CL has the added advantage of being able to change lenses (although that is not what I need right now but it does keep my options open) and the 18mm is bang on the same as the Q lens in terms of focal length, if not quality or max aperture. 

Given that the Q is a few years old and the CL is basically brand new and a CL with 23mm or 35mm is not much larger (if at all) than a Q, would that make more sense now?

p.s. let's ignore the costs for this comparison

Hi I have both the CL and the newest Leica Q2. The CL with its 23 mm lens is a beauty. Picture resolution is superb. The camera is good and small to carry around, and the 23 mm is the perfect lens. I also own the 18-56 lens which isn’t physically big, and not exceptionally fast, but the quality in the images is stunning. I carry both with me wherever I go. The simplicity of this camera is what I gravitated too. I wanted only to worry about issues regarding exposure and shutter speed, and not the multitude of capturing assistants that come with other cameras. By making it simple, it puts the focus (no pun intended) on getting the image. 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Marty Gervais:

Hi I have both the CL and the newest Leica Q2. The CL with its 23 mm lens is a beauty. Picture resolution is superb. The camera is good and small to carry around, and the 23 mm is the perfect lens. I also own the 18-56 lens which isn’t physically big, and not exceptionally fast, but the quality in the images is stunning. I carry both with me wherever I go. The simplicity of this camera is what I gravitated too. I wanted only to worry about issues regarding exposure and shutter speed, and not the multitude of capturing assistants that come with other cameras. By making it simple, it puts the focus (no pun intended) on getting the image. 

Thx for your post. Do you shoot JPGs or DNGs?

I have only the CL. I wasn't interested in the Q, but the Q2 piques my curiosity due to the weather sealing and the 50 mpixel  sensor. 

The primary reason the Q2 piques me now is that I can get a 35 or 50 mm FoV at a reasonable pixel resolution. I generally like a slightly long normal and can use my excellent Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited lens on the CL as a one-body/one-lens solution for months and never feel I was lacking anything. The CL's low light performance has been excellent, the tonality and detailing in its 24 Mpixel raw file output has been excellent as well as flexible. I can use my entire system of M and R lenses and accessories with it. I don't use any native lenses at the present time, although I'm considering the TL11-23 to get that extra wide-angle end of the range (I have down to 15mm already but FoV grows rapidly between 15 and 10 mm). If only it had weather sealing.

We're never satisfied, eh? :D 

But I'm pretty sure the CL remains a better choice for me at the moment. Despite the format difference and capabilities of the sensor at the limits, and image stabilization, the CL continues to produce just stunningly beautiful photos. 

• Like 1

Love my Q, but since buying the CL, I barely use it. Even thinking of selling it, something I never thought I’d say.  CL is just an incredibly retro cool camera to use. You can certainly put the Q in manual mode, which I usually do. But the CL makes me feel like I was shooting 30 years ago, with the option to go into the present with the touch of a button. There are so many fantastic M and R mount lens, plus the terrific autofocus ones by Leica and now Panasonic and Sigma. And of course everyone else’s lenses, too.   Never a dull moment with the CL. 

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

Bought an 'as new'(and it really was!) QP in London yesterday. Thrilled to bits with the image quality and whole experience of it. (Sold my standard Q a while ago thinking I'd join the, er, queue fo a ’2.) I don't miss the CL,  briefly owned when they came out, one little bit.