35mm Summaron 2.8 vs Summicron v4

Csacwp

Hi guys, I recently published the article about my M2 user experience, fortunately I am the Summaron35 F2. 8 user who got the deal on Summicron35mm V4(King of Bokeh) during my trip in Munich. So in my article, all were taking with Portra400, no digital. For the film shooter, both are great in rendering but KOB is probably my preferred choice for the color and Summaron for BW. Please feels free to see the samples pictures in the article. 

https://goo.gl/G5T1TR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Csacwp said:

Maybe since I want to do some landscapes I should keep the 35mm Cron Asph... Corner sharpness is much better at f/8 with it, right?

As far as my lenses are concerned, the 35/2.8 (with goggles) is the softer at corners, the 35/2 v4 is sharper there and the 35/2 asph v1 is the sharpest but i have no experience with v2. For landscapes, the 35/2 asph v1 has the best acutance generally but differences are not obvious at f/8 anyway. Now if you don't like the modern rendering of asph lenses, the better compromise is the 35/2 v4 if you are not bothered by its slight focus shit around f/4. For less focus shift, the v3 of this lens would be probably a better choice but it is softer at fast apertures and i have no experience with this lens. 

• Thanks 1

Summaron 35/2.8 from 1960 @5.6

Biarritz

Villa Belza from the top with Hegoalde and the Pyrenean piedmont
on the other side of the bay.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Shot just a few minutes before the above one but from a foggier place.

• Like 5

just posted photo showing emarkable resolution of the lens in '12504 hood' for 35 Summaron thread.

• Like 1

I had the Summaron, prefer the V4 Cron because 1) it's lighter (Summaron is chrome+brass), 2) never warmed up to the infinity lock on the Summaron and didn't want to hack it, 3) Cron twice as fast for times it's needed.  Stopped down you would really have to scrutinize hard to see any difference.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I find the infinity lock on the tab of the summaron 35 2.8 or summicron 35 2 V1 very useful and easy to use. It is particularly useful when you want to take picture without having to check the distance, as it has been locked on infinity  (for example from a plane, when taking a picture while moving...) and also it helps a lot to take the lens out of the body or place it back on the camera as the tab can then be used as a lever to secure the lens on the body. Without the infinity tab, the lens could easily slip in your hands when you want to take it out or put it back on the camera. To me it is a very clever design. Also you feel very easely when you are close to lock the lens on infinity, which is a nice distance setting to take a picture with hyper focale at F4 and less. The same applies to the summaron 28 5.6 and to the old summicron 50mm V2. When Leica issued a copy of the 50mm V2 with modern optics as a collectible, they did not implement the original tab, and honestly it was difficult to put the lens on the camera and take it out. So I sold this lens and bought the original one with tab instead. Of course, if you do not actually use the lens and leave it on a desk, you do not feel the need for a tab with infinity lock.

Have a nice day taking pictures.

Dominique.