pico

M10 Flash Shoe protector?

Did you get one with your M10?  I did not, and wih a second glance I see none available. In the meantime a dab of Gaffer tape suffices.

There is one listed in the catalogue No. 14644 for ... 38,-€😮 (I hope at least it's the metal version you get with the M 10-P, not the tiny plastic piece...).

I'd write to Leica and tell them that your M10 was delivered without the protector - there is a chance you get one without further costs. 

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

There is one listed in the catalogue No. 14644 for ... 38,-€😮

Holy stuff! What an insane price!
I will write to Santa for one.
At least he is real!

Edited by pico

Mine came with one. Now you can get fancy and by some wooden stuff. :D

Edited by SMAL

the M10P metal one is available at some online stores at $25, and plastic one at $11.88.

The plastic one seems fine to me.

The plastic one (incl. with my M10) is very loose. I haven't lost it, yet! Several times I have seen it heading south. I 'readjusted' the two springs intended to hold it in but they are too soft to stay permanently adjusted. Poor attention to detail or design.

On my M's the shoe protector is normally secured with a piece of black paper camera tape, that works fine and I've not lost one yet..........

I've tape doing various things on all of my cameras, whether it's holding the shoe protectors, securing viewfinder diopter adjusters, covering Red dots, putting yellow tape arrows on the shutter dial of the M's to better see the "Auto" setting, and so on...........it's also handy to be able to know which camera in a crowd is mine, the one covered in tape "band aids / plasters".

Is there an actual need for a protector, did anyone encouner protector-less usage issues? Or maybe its just esthetics? 

I had one in the beginning on my Q but after some flash usage I manage to loose it...

/Niklas

I’ve had many different cameras over the years, never used a protector.  Never encountered a problem.

On the M240 generation the shoe cover I think serves mainly to keep dirt out of the port for the EVF.  I keep a bit of gaffer tape over it, as I often use the shoe for an OVF.

I believe it is part of the M10's weatherproofing. It is also part of the aesthetic look of the camera, if that is an issue for you. I guess it also keeps to five contact in the shoe clean.

Yes, both cameras came with.

On the M10 I added gaffer tape under the plastic hot shoe protector, not to lose it. Replaced it fast with a thumbsup.

On the M10-P the brass hot shoe stays on, a little ball bearing with spring pressure keeps it locked in place. 

On 10/11/2018 at 3:33 AM, erl said:

I 'readjusted' the two springs intended to hold it in but they are too soft to stay permanently adjusted. Poor attention to detail or design.

Erl - I think we discussed this previously - those springs just keep going soft on me too. My repair has been to cut a piece of thin plastic to the shape of the entire hot shoe, slide that in place and then slide the cover or optical vf on top, sandwiching the plastic spacer between shoe and cover/vf. It's a bit fiddly, but works well, particularly with the 15 Voigtlander optical vf which now sits nice and snug in the shoe without falling out.

Edited by PCPix
spelling