Cartaufalous

How to turn on optical image stabilization?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my new Q! Almost everything is logical and ergonomic. I upgraded the firmware to 3.0, which allegedly has a new optical image stabilization mode called "Auto", which sounds like what I want. But where in the menu are the settings for optical image stabilization? I've gone through the menus from beginning to end and can't find these settings. Can anyone tell me how to change the optical image stabilization settings?

Zitat

– OIS – optional ‘Auto‘ setting 
This setting enables automatic activation of optical image stabilization at shutter speeds of 1/60s and slower.

From the installation instructions.

vor 31 Minuten schrieb likealot:

Why not keep the OIS on at all times? (Obviously switch it off manually when using a tripod)

Because it costs more energy, even if it's not necessary.

And(!): Because the OIS can cause blurring at the edges of the photo. Blur at the edges is of course always better than a completely blurred image, but bad than a completely sharp image.

From this point of view, the auto function makes a lot of sense instead of always leaving the IS on (even with short exposure times).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

WhenI got my Q a year ago, I e-mailed Leica tech support in New Jersey to ask about image stabilization with the Q, and their (odd) response was that the Q's lens is optimized for maximum sharpness and overall high quality when OIS is turned "OFF".  Yes, Off.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, jmschuh said:

Which is wrong, though. In auto mode, the O.I.S. starts from 1/30 and longer exposure times.

Hello, how did you find out that it starts at 1/30?

thanks; 

Davide

On 10/13/2018 at 2:19 AM, Stonewall Brigade said:

WhenI got my Q a year ago, I e-mailed Leica tech support in New Jersey to ask about image stabilization with the Q, and their (odd) response was that the Q's lens is optimized for maximum sharpness and overall high quality when OIS is turned "OFF".  Yes, Off.

Why odd? This is valid for all OIS systems.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb DIENDI70:

Hello, how did you find out that it starts at 1/30?

thanks; 

Davide

Take a photo and look at the symbols in Playback-mode. There is an symbol for the IS, which shows, if the IS was enabled or not.

4 hours ago, jmschuh said:

Take a photo and look at the symbols in Playback-mode. There is an symbol for the IS, which shows, if the IS was enabled or not.

OMG!!! It is true, never saw that.... !

Now how can we tell Leica to write the correct sentence to explain that the OIS AUTO is ON from 1/30th of a second and slower?