Congratulation for the new site

Louis

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Looks cool.

The one thing that would make me comfortable is working out how to get recent posts/unread content for the forums I follow. At the moment I can see Unread Content, but it includes the German forum and, with respect, I don't want that! I found the Manage The Forums I Follow page (or words to that effect) but couldn't see how to manage them.

Is this something that is not yet functioning? Or have I missed something?

I agree.

Also, I prefer to not have "Unread" dots for the the photo forums (that have a new post); but only for new posts, to make it less confusing.

• Thanks 1

Just one minor (?) nuisance, on mobile (iOS), the software currently does not seem to remember, which posts have already been visited. Instead, when re-entering a topic, I am always directed to the first post of the thread. With lengthy threads, this is rather inconvenient. A solution would be very welcome.

Thanks for the very stable and well moderated forum, by the way :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Looks cool.

The one thing that would make me comfortable is working out how to get recent posts/unread content for the forums I follow. At the moment I can see Unread Content, but it includes the German forum and, with respect, I don't want that! I found the Manage The Forums I Follow page (or words to that effect) but couldn't see how to manage them.

Is this something that is not yet functioning? Or have I missed something?

I dunno, Paul. Seems the same as it always was ... Unread Content searches across the entire site, and you click on the forum headers to scan each of them for unread content in the forums that are your interest areas.

If you go to the "Manage Followed Content" page, I believe the items that have new content in them will be bolded. 

8 minutes ago, semi-ambivalent said:

I like the site! It's more open visually. I'm old though so I have to complain about something. I haven't yet found a way to list my posts, as one could (My Content -> My Posts was it?) on the old layout. Is that still here, somewhere? In any case thanks again, it looks good.

Refer to post #22. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Andreas -

When you are involved, change has proven to be good.  In the last version that was just changed, there are a number of things that I initially didn't like.  I ultimately figured out that I didn't like them because I was being a creature of habit.  Eventually, I got used to the changes and think it worked quite well.  I am sure the same will be the case for this new version.

I just have two observations about the new version, fwiw:

1.  Do you really want people to be able to see photos posted in threads that they follow in their email notifications?  I mean, from my perspective, it is convenient and thus a positive.  But I fear for you that it will take away the incentive for people to log on to the site to see the photo that is referenced in the text of the message.  Once people log on to pique their interest as to what the referenced photo looks like, they are more likely to browse the other sections of the forum while they are there.  With the new version, many people will have their interest piqued simply by viewing the email notification.  Good for us, but possibly bad or you...just saying...

2.  One feature that I have always wished we had is a "quick reply" option under each post in a thread that would allow the view to not only "thank" a post but right a comment without losing the viewer's place in the thread.  For example, in the "I Like Film" thread, in which as you know I participate a great deal, I often find myself having to use the multiquote feature in order to collect all of the posts that I want to serially comment on as I browse a number of pages that I have not yet viewed.  I think most if not all of us will admit that the multiquote feature is not efficient and easy to use.  A "quick reply" option under each post would allow a viewer to reply to a post in a thread as s/he is viewing the post without losing his/her place in the thread and withouth having to deal with the multi quote function, which is really (if I may say) miserable to use on a smart phone, and absolutely keeps me away from the forum while on vacation and elsewhere w/o a computer/laptop.

Just my two cents regarding a great forum that I gain significant enjoyment from and work very hard to enrich.

Best,

Adam Miller (NYC)

• Thanks 2

Thanks so much, Andreas. This is always a thankless task (I don't know why people say that, a lot of people are actually thanking you 😀) .

I very much like nearly everything about it. What I don't like--and maybe this will get fixed--is the old gallery in which you gleaned photos that were recently posted or exceptionally well liked. That way, we got a chance to see the best photos that folks on other threads (or on the other "side" of the forum) were posting. I don't know if that will get reinstalled here, but, if not, I'll really miss it. I was really inspired by the best of us.

Thanks again. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Sorry to start with negative feedback right away: No. No old forum.

For reasons: In 15 days the old forum would have stopped to work, as my hosting provider switches off the support for the underlying programming language.

This fact perhaps makes it easier for you to accept that there is no way back...

I'm pretty sure that you don't want to go back after using the new software for some days (and me finding the last bugs and improving the design and settings).

This will change over the next days. The server is running at its limits with background processes to put together all posts and to rebuilt all images.
Later this week all images should be back.

Some EXIF features will work, but we have to see in detail what works.

More explanation will follow, but for now I'm exhausted (and extremely happy that I was able to move 3.5 mio posts in 300,000 discussions with 60,000 members without loss)

Andreas

Andreas -- didn't realise and was not aware of the background to the change. Well, if there was no choice, you and presumably a team of helpers, did a stellar job migrating to the new platform. My hat off. Must have been a lot of work, and you didn't do much testing beforehand? Seems to work alright!! Well done.👻 🏄‍♀️🙏💪😀

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb bags27:

I don't know if that will get reinstalled here, but, if not, I'll really miss it. I was really inspired by the best of us.

Will come again - today if I find enough time (and you don't find too many other urgent issues) or over the next days.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb meerec:

Well, if there was no choice, you and presumably a team of helpers, did a stellar job migrating to the new platform. My hat off. Must have been a lot of work, and you didn't do much testing beforehand?

• I did it all alone.
  • It was a lot of work.
  • And most of it was testing... 
  • And this migration was the last one in a row of five in which I collected a lot of experience.

Just to correct the impression (if it existed) that I decided on Monday to start the migration on Tuesday - it has a forerun of several months...

Sorry if I was my last answer about the reasons for the move was very short. It was just to point out that there is no way back.

In my point of view there are a lot of good arguments for the move, most important provision with security updates for the forum software and underlying system components.

Another important point is the mobile version: Almost 45% of all visits to the forum are by smartphones and tablets - and the mobile version of the old forum was - uhm - not so perfect.

New features are great (my point of view) but were not the core reason for the move. Give them a try - there is a lot to discover:

• Emojis (some really like them)
  • Easy quoting (highlight any text and click for quotes)
  • Easy image upload via drag&drop or copy&paste
  • Referring to other members by typing @ followed by the other members name like @LUF Admin
  • Alternative start page layouts: Card grid or post stream as alternatives
  • Individual and multiple activity streams

Andreas

• Thanks 4

10 hours ago, farnz said:

Paul,

Go to the "Activity" tab at the top of the page,

> My Activity Streams

> Content I follow.

Pete.

Thanks, but that produces a blank page, with "There are no results to show in this activity stream yet", and "The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete". 

Are you seeing more than that? 

9 hours ago, ramarren said:

I dunno, Paul. Seems the same as it always was ... Unread Content searches across the entire site, and you click on the forum headers to scan each of them for unread content in the forums that are your interest areas.

If you go to the "Manage Followed Content" page, I believe the items that have new content in them will be bolded. 

Yes, I can see that, but that wasn't what I used to use: previously I could select all the forums that I wanted to follow (essentially all the non-photo forums in the International Forum, with a few other exclusions), and I could see one page listing each thread with an unread post.

I'd be surprised if that functionality is missing - I'm trying to work out if this is has to wait till indexing is complete, or there is some part of the new site I don't understand yet.

If I go to Manage Followed Content, there are no items shown. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

7 hours ago, mkenaylor said:

I don't know how this forum is financed, but if its by Leica then I think they're making enough money to not need to have advertisements plastered all over the place.  They are irrelevant and distracting.  Otherwise, very nice.

The forum is not an official Leica enterprise (it used to be many, many years ago). It’s financed by the irrelevant ads and subscriptions. 

• Thanks 1