Congratulation for the new site

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, here we are on a "upgraded" LUF site, and first of all, I would like to thank the effort Andreas is doing to improve our favorite photography site.

I am, like some of you (maybe), a little lost and believe it would take a little time to learn and get used to changes.

Therefore, it would certainly be a great help if someone would tell us about the changes and teach us how to use this new version. For instance, when I open the CL or T/TL forums, I am in the first page instead of  the newest. Then, I see some shots  tiny as thumbnails, and some others larger , as posted!... Is this normal or should we change our postings or settings? ... Also, it was a question of having the EXIF in the new version. How does it work?... And, I don't see the likes anymore, either!

I would be very grateful if a MOD could tell us about this new version and how to use it.

Many thanks in advance.

I don’t want to sound old and only negative, maybe I don’t like change in general, but the new LUF site is not my thing. I’m lost for now, but that’s ok, I’m sure I could get used to this and find my way around but I miss things I liked before and they are gone!!! Please ... bring the old back !!!!

Edited by meerec
  • Like 3

vor 14 Minuten schrieb meerec:

Please ... bring the old back !!!!

Sorry to start with negative feedback right away: No. No old forum.

For reasons: In 15 days the old forum would have stopped to work, as my hosting provider switches off the support for the underlying programming language.

This fact perhaps makes it easier for you to accept that there is no way back...

I'm pretty sure that you don't want to go back after using the new software for some days (and me finding the last bugs and improving the design and settings).

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Louis:

I see some shots  tiny as thumbnails

This will change over the next days. The server is running at its limits with background processes to put together all posts and to rebuilt all images.
Later this week all images should be back.

Some EXIF features will work, but we have to see in detail what works.

More explanation will follow, but for now I'm exhausted (and extremely happy that I was able to move 3.5 mio posts in 300,000 discussions with 60,000 members without loss)

Andreas

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Updating the forum software with totally new software is a huge task, I applaud you for a job well done Andreas! I haven't spent much time browsing the forum just yet, and am just learning the new controls, but aside from the in-progress image digestion, it all seems to work well. 

As a point of constructive criticism: One thing that seems a bit overmuch is that the header and advertising space at the top of every page is too large, particularly when viewing the site using a tablet or smartphone display. When held vertically, for instance, the display on my iPad Pro or iPhone shows more than 3/4 of the scene space taken up by the web page header and banner advertisement, and none of the actual page contents I'm interested to see. I must scroll to see any actual content. It's a bit much even on my desktop computer with a 27" display. It would be nice to reduce the banner ad space by 60% and the page header space by 50% so that actual content is presented in the first glance at a page and less display space is wasted on stuff that I am never going to read more than once anyway. 

thanks again! 

• Like 2

i like the look-- i am hoping this is just a temporary glitch  but the 'go to first unread post' is missing for me on safari (v. 12) for mac os (10.13.6) i usually wait to update to the newest version of the OS...

39 minutes ago, LUF Admin said:

Sorry to start with negative feedback right away: No. No old forum.

For reasons: In 15 days the old forum would have stopped to work, as my hosting provider switches off the support for the underlying programming language.

This fact perhaps makes it easier for you to accept that there is no way back...

I'm pretty sure that you don't want to go back after using the new software for some days (and me finding the last bugs and improving the design and settings).

This will change over the next days. The server is running at its limits with background processes to put together all posts and to rebuilt all images.
Later this week all images should be back.

Some EXIF features will work, but we have to see in detail what works.

More explanation will follow, but for now I'm exhausted (and extremely happy that I was able to move 3.5 mio posts in 300,000 discussions with 60,000 members without loss)

Andreas

Andreas, thanks very much for your response that is, for me, very encouraging.

When everything is done and functional, a little tutorial would be very helpful. 😀

Louis

• Like 2

Where is this topic; this post? I can't find it anymore in the thread and see it only in the "Notification", the "Bell"! 😳

It has disappeared! lol

BTW, do we still have the same limitations for the size of a photo, or it has changed?

Looks good on my macbook, well done Andreas. 

Not all of us enjoy diving in to new things without guidance and I'm sure, when you have time, those folks will appreciate any 'how to' notes you can publish to help them.

Thanks for doing this with so little agro!  

6 minutes ago, Louis said:

Where is this topic; this post? I can't find it anymore in the thread and see it only in the "Notification", the "Bell"! 😳

It has disappeared! lol

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looks cool.

The one thing that would make me comfortable is working out how to get recent posts/unread content for the forums I follow. At the moment I can see Unread Content, but it includes the German forum and, with respect, I don't want that! I found the Manage The Forums I Follow page (or words to that effect) but couldn't see how to manage them.

Is this something that is not yet functioning? Or have I missed something?

• Like 1