Leica R and Air Release Cables

diogosousa10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good afternoon,

I own a Leica R6, and recently acquired an air bulb release. The bulb seem to work with some difficulty in the Hasselblad (requires more strenght, but works), on a Pentax, works without problem, on the R6 it just doesn´t work at all, it does not move, yet the camera still fires if I press the shutter button.

As anyone had the same experience, or knows if you need a special attachment or something?

P.S. I works fine with the regular cable release, but the cable is not long enough for full body portraits.

Best Regards,

Diogo Sousa

• 3 weeks later...

I tested my decades-old Kalt 20' shutter air release on my R6 (as well as on my other R's and V-Hasselblads) and it functions flawlessly. I keep the air release as it is one of the few solutions as a remote shutter release for the Leica M (Typ 240)! Consider a better solution for your R6 which I used, and that is a Leica Motor Winder R4/R (14282/14283) or Motor Drive R4/R (14309/14310) plus a 5-meter Leica Cable Release R (14238). The Winder's height is smaller (1.5" x 5.5" x  1.8" vs. 1.8" x 5.5" x 2.2"), advances the film at a slower rate (2-fps vs. 4-fps), but is less expensive. Leica R-accessories are now relatively inexpensive [check out Camera West, Igor Camera (USA)]. This allows you to shoot uninterruptedly without having to manually advance the shutter. The RC (Electronic Control Unit) Leica R (14277) is another accessory with an included 16.6 ft cable. 25 meter extension cables (14274)  can be added up to 100 m or 328 ft. The Electric Release Switch (14237) is the basic short cable (typically used with the Universal Handgrip with Shoulder Stock), but can also be extended. The Leica R system was thoroughly designed and engineered. Granted, the bulk of drives and electronic cables isn't as compact as the shutter air release, but their functionality and reliability are unprecedented.