Dual Camera Harness for M10

SMAL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, what kind of solution do you know if you want to carry two M10 on a dual camera harness, but want to be able to change batteries quick without unscrewing the strap all the time? On my other cameras this has never been an issue.

Thank you!

But then the cameras are not able to slide since one step blocks the other and on a dual camera harness the cameras hang upside down which protects the screen and makes same faster to grab.

Besides all that two straps crossed in front of the chest look a little silly, right?

The simple solution is not to use two cameras at the same time.

Digitally you should be able to change the iso “mid film”. If you want to change focal lengths buy a tri-elmar? If you don’t trust one camera not to go wrong keep a spare in a shoulder bag, by the time you have decided something is wrong you’ve missed the picture anyway. Or make the second camera something completely different so that you take a backup picture on a totally different camera system?

The simple solution is not to use two cameras at the same time.

Digitally you should be able to change the iso “mid film”. If you want to change focal lengths buy a tri-elmar? If you don’t trust one camera not to go wrong keep a spare in a shoulder bag, by the time you have decided something is wrong you’ve missed the picture anyway. Or make the second camera something completely different so that you take a backup picture on a totally different camera system?

It’s pretty much for shooting 24/50 without switching lenses at all. Pretty normal behavior for shooting weddings for example. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, what kind of solution do you know if you want to carry two M10 on a dual camera harness, but want to be able to change batteries quick without unscrewing the strap all the time? On my other cameras this has never been an issue.

Thank you!

Check these guys: https://holdfastgear.com/

I know couple of wedding shooters that swear by them.

I sometimes carry one body around the neck and another, with a longer strap, across the shoulder. This way, the straps interfere less than with a bilateral cross-shoulder setup.

When I need either body only semi-immediately, I use a Pacsafe Camsafe V5 hip bag which is no design marvel, but which nicely accommodates two bodies with a lens on each. Because it is fixed tightly to the photographer‘s body, I seem to be able to access my gear much faster than with a swinging shoulder bag. However, this specific model does seem currently out of stock.

I do own such a harness, but the issue is you have to unscrew it completely from the Leica, since the tripod mount is not in the bottom plate. You block the bottom plate with the screw. That´s exactly my problem.

Yep, that it is! Forgot about the base plate. It's same with the M240.

Which means you can't use spyder holsters either for the way they connect to the tripod mount.

I use carry two bodies one really short strap and the other strap really long, so if I needed to carry them both on one shoulder they would knock into each other.

If you get a RRS baseplate for each camera you will be able to use the QD mount socket on each base plate. It's quite easy to modify a Holdfast dual strap to QD. Rapid Straps dual system will need part of the strap to be un-stitched and re-stitched. Not difficult for someone who can sew.

RRS plate also have a 1/4 screw mount so you could use the Holdfast or Rapid Strap hardware but it's not as elegant in use.

Gordon

• Thanks 1

Long strap and short strap. The short one is long enough for your elbow to just go through when it's on your shoulder, the long strap long enough so both bodies don't smash into each other when both are hanging off the same shoulder. Holster sling contraptions are for poseurs who think they are military heroes. It's not Gulf War III (yet!).....

• Haha 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb PCPix:

Long strap and short strap. The short one is long enough for your elbow to just go through when it's on your shoulder, the long strap long enough so both bodies don't smash into each other when both are hanging off the same shoulder. Holster sling contraptions are for poseurs who think they are military heroes. It's not Gulf War III (yet!).....

Have you ever shot a 12 -14 hour wedding with such a harness?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PCPix said:

A bit harsh don't you think? Or is yours the only way?

Maybe, just maybe, other people, free to choose what works for them, might find dual straps comfortable, practical and convenient to work with on long working days with multiple bodies. Maybe they've tried other solutions and found what works for them without the need to attack the choices other people might make.

Gordon

• Like 1

Dual camera harness are a bit of an overkill for a dual Leica M carry IMO.

As others have suggested cross body with thin leather straps or one around the neck (short) other cross body (long).

If dual harness is the preferred option and battery / SD card access is required without removal of the base plate the only option I see is Luigi's http://luigicases.com M-Mate is the only non case option.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SMAL said:

Have you ever shot a 12 -14 hour wedding with such a harness?

Smal - you were asking for solutions to easily change battery (and/or memory card). To my knowledge all of the sling/harness systems use the tripod hole to secure the camera. There's the problem.

London studio fashion guys in the 60's used Nikkormats instead of F's for exactly the same reason - on a tripod the Nikkormats back swung open to change film, the F's needed to be unscrewed off the tripod to remove the basplate to change film, much the same as all M's. Perfectly possible, but certainly more hassle - as you well know. 

My earlier suggestion of long and short straps does make battery changes quicker. If the humour offends, I apologise 😉

The long and short strap system worked well when photographing with M2's during the  unrest in the Johannesburg townships under apartheid. 

56 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

A bit harsh don't you think? Or is yours the only way?

Maybe, just maybe, other people, free to choose what works for them, might find dual straps comfortable, practical and convenient to work with on long working days with multiple bodies. Maybe they've tried other solutions and found what works for them without the need to attack the choices other people might make.

Gordon

Hi Gordon - the guy wants to change his batteries more quickly. Long and short straps are a different method that help achieve that.

vor 33 Minuten schrieb PCPix:

The long and short strap system worked well when photographing with M2's during the  unrest in the Johannesburg townships under apartheid. 

Just because something worked well back then, doesn´t mean you can´t evolve. Two single straps are simply annoying.

Regarding your humour. I am not the biggest fan of judgement about other peoples choices. I am not offended. So we are good. :)