Seems Leica T 23mm/f2 is also (going to be )out of stock

I find it significant that as the rest of the industry rushes into full frame, a great many Leica users are heading to APS-C rather than full frame.

Barnack’s legacy is that we want to carry small cameras and lenses.

Integrating the EVF into the CL body was the tipping point.

More compact TL image circle lenses please.

• Like 2

More lenses the size of the 18mm and 23mm is what I have always bleated on about, to no avail. I agree, the T was a very "carryable" camera with the 23/2. I loved it.

My Fuji has them, in decent apertures, and with AF, so why everyone else is producing 34/1.4 sized lenses beats me. Fuji have their own 35/1.4, and it is not the behemoth the Summilux is.

Gary

• Like 6

More lenses the size of the 18mm and 23mm is what I have always bleated on about, to no avail. I agree, the T was a very "carryable" camera with the 23/2. I loved it.

My Fuji has them, in decent apertures, and with AF, so why everyone else is producing 34/1.4 sized lenses beats me. Fuji have their own 35/1.4, and it is not the behemoth the Summilux is.

Gary

Exactly, much more on the spirit of the Ms I have loved in film days. I have never needed 1.4, and Fuji has the f/2s of excellent quality, and compact and light.

The CL looks good, but its years later than others have done, and I gave up waiting, and dtill a long way to go to catch up with lenses like the Fuji 14mm and the 'kit' zooms.

Gerry

Fuji - this morning I had an acquaintance sell me heavily on the idea of a Fuji system (X-E3 + 18-55, 55-200) as a very good alternative to a Leica CL and assorted lenses, regardless of the price difference. Are they any good???

Subjective, and personal. Only you will know. And if like me, you'll never know.

Fuji glass is as good as anyone needs IMHO. I'd also venture there is precious little discernible difference between the various brands these days. I can vouch for the XF18-55, but then again loved the T18-56 as well. Many decried the Summicron 23mm, I found it to be a darn fine all rounder. In the Fuji line the XF18 gets a bad rub, I certainly disagreed.

Try the Fuji, you'll never know otherwise.

Gary

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Subjective, and personal. Only you will know. And if like me, you'll never know.

Fuji glass is as good as anyone needs IMHO. I'd also venture there is precious little discernible difference between the various brands these days. I can vouch for the XF18-55, but then again loved the T18-56 as well. Many decried the Summicron 23mm, I found it to be a darn fine all rounder. In the Fuji line the XF18 gets a bad rub, I certainly disagreed.

Try the Fuji, you'll never know otherwise.

Gary

I have an Xpro2, which is an excellent implimentation of the sort of optical finder I have loved to use with M3 and M6ttl for 50 years, and a very good (if not the best) evf. Nothing else will give you that combination.

I have the 14/2.8, a very good lens for sharpness across the frame at f/4. And little or no distortion, without software correction.

23 and 35 f/2, again excellent sharpness across the frame, the sort of performance I have been used to with Summicrons on film, and better than I ever got from, for instance, Nikon and Olympus equivalents in mf on film (I haven't tried Nikon's latest 1.8s)

60/2.4 is again excellent, although af is slow and noisy.

18-55 and 55-200 again are at least as good as any other zooms I have tried, and of decent aperture. The 18-55 is only just discernibly not as good as the primes, the long one is a fair bit better than my rather ancient 80-200 2.8 Nikon fit lens.

All are excellently built and render well.

You can get all these now, no 'jam tomorrow' as with either the CL/TL or the sony aps-c system.

Gerry

I won't buy Fuji any more, since owning three and fighting with the XTrans sensor's raw files. Don't like the cameras' ergonomics and menus either.

My primary kit is Leica M-D and CL in digital capture now, and Leicaflex SL and M4-2 in film. The same M and R series lenses work on all of them ... M to M and 'Flex SL to CL. I don't care so much about compactness (up to a point) and AF. Maybe someday I'll buy myself a T11-23 zoom and T35/1.4 prime. Don't really want or need much more than that. :D

I won't buy Fuji any more, since owning three and fighting with the XTrans sensor's raw files. Don't like the cameras' ergonomics and menus either.

My primary kit is Leica M-D and CL in digital capture now, and Leicaflex SL and M4-2 in film. The same M and R series lenses work on all of them ... M to M and 'Flex SL to CL. I don't care so much about compactness (up to a point) and AF. Maybe someday I'll buy myself a T11-23 zoom and T35/1.4 prime. Don't really want or need much more than that. :D

Buying Leica vs. Fujifilm is more and more like buying Mercedes, BMW vs. Toyota , Honda.

But if people looking into Fujifilm because Some Leica items are out of stock that is really weird.

If price is a consideration, do what makes sense, like choosing Mercedes BMW or Toyota, Honda.

But, you know what you get. It is just different.

Leica is about Lenses, UI and Solms ability to somehow squeeze more out of a sensor than competition. In the latter category Fuji can't compete imho, the x-trans sensor files remind me of convenience food pre-cooked in a way which inhibits any decent chef to get the best out of it. Had it, tried it, gave up on it. And please don't try to sell that m-lenses work well on the Fuji..... :blink:

getting back to the OP's point about the lens screenshots from B&H, and Adorama

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it

Leica should restrict the selling of lenses to LUF members. We cannot have nasty outsiders buying OUR lenses and emptying the shops.

No problem about that surely? magnificent lenses but they dont work well on anyone elses cameras? Just need more of them both variety and quantity it seems.

If your favourite manufacturer doesn't make a camera that suits you, you have to look elsewhere, with digital it seems native lenses largely work better than adapted ones, I spent a long time trying to find a way to make short M lenses work with cameras that suit me with compromises on both sides. The longer ones mostly work ok with anything.

And plenty of people get good results from the Xtrans sensor, if you can't then is the army out of step with you? or the other way round.

Gerry

• Like 1

And here was I thinking the British had a reputation for a sense of humour... :(

(and I don't think that there is any non-Leica camera taking TL lenses :P )

I did see the joke, and I thought I was being a bit ironic! One of the difficulties of international forums :-(

As for cameras with TL lenses, you'll soon have allsorts of japanese 'competition'.

Oh, wait, aren't the lenses already being made by someone in japan? Someone who is probably part of the L alliance? Someone with less reputation for manufacturing quality than Fuji perhaps? And selling for 3x the price of the equivalent Fuji lens?

Off to start the Sunday dinner now, affairs of the stomach are more urgent!

Gerry

• Like 1

No problem about that surely? magnificent lenses but they dont work well on anyone elses cameras? Just need more of them both variety and quantity it seems.

If your favourite manufacturer doesn't make a camera that suits you, you have to look elsewhere, with digital it seems native lenses largely work better than adapted ones, I spent a long time trying to find a way to make short M lenses work with cameras that suit me with compromises on both sides. The longer ones mostly work ok with anything.

And plenty of people get good results from the Xtrans sensor, if you can't then is the army out of step with you? or the other way round.

Gerry

It matters to me not one wit that "plenty of people get good results out of the XTrans sensor". The only thing that matters to me is whether I get results out of a sensor that satisfy me

If you're trying to suggest that I don't know what I'm doing when processing my image files, well, that's another opinion I couldn't care less about.  <_<

I did see the joke, and I thought I was being a bit ironic! One of the difficulties of international forums :-(

As for cameras with TL lenses, you'll soon have allsorts of japanese 'competition'.

Oh, wait, aren't the lenses already being made by someone in japan? Someone who is probably part of the L alliance? Someone with less reputation for manufacturing quality than Fuji perhaps? And selling for 3x the price of the equivalent Fuji lens?

Off to start the Sunday dinner now, affairs of the stomach are more urgent!

Gerry

In the digital photography, the matching of the sensor and the lens and the SW or firmware are critical to the combined performance. Simply a L or M mount camera does not imply the same picture even with exact the same lens.

I don’t expect a happy marriage of Leica Lens on non-Leica body or non-Leica lens on Leica body. Particularly on the short flange fistance mirror less, not ont short focal length.

The best you can hope is the native nonLeica lenses on nonLeica body. Say Panasonic L mount lens on Panasonic L mount camera, or Sigma L mount Lenses on Sigma L mount camera. Even the inter marrage of Sigma and Panasonic could be questionable.

But then, how would it be different from the Sigma any mount or Panasonic any mount?

Edited by Einst_Stein

As a teenager I was lucky to be gifted my first SLR , in the early 1970’s . My first choice was always a Minolta SRT 101. The best though for me was a Canon FT-QL , which was excellent. Turning on the clock a little bit, my Father became a little too infirm to use his Camera and lenses, which happened to be a Leica R 3 , which of course was produced off the design of the Minolta SRT 101 , so in the end I was more than happy when he lent them to me on ‘permanent loan’ ! One of the lenses was Canadian Leica, too. The ‘L’ partnership is a continuation of things where they left off . The only thing to remember, the Leica R3 is still going strong, unlike I imagine the Minolta SRT 101......

Edited by Petercoll