Filters for old Leica Lenses

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope this doesn't sound too confusabobbled......    I'm not sure how to ask without posting all the available informatioin.

I'm trying to find a solution to getting infrared filters for my lenses, but before I can even start on that, I need to know more about the lenses and what filters they work with.  I have four lenses I'm using on my Leica M8.2:

.....35mm Summilux, S/N #2221959   (probably about 40 years old)

.....50mm Summicron, S/N #2433583  (probably much older)

.....15mm Super Wide Heliiar f/4.5 and

.....25mm Color-Skopar f/4

What I think I learned yesterday when discussing this with the Mark at Leica Tech Support:

The 50mm Summicron (and 25mm Color Skopar) accept a 39mm screw in filter.  (I tested this, and they they fit.)

The 15mm Helliar takes a standard 52mm filter.  (I haven't tested this yet, but there is no rush.)

My first issue is filters for 35mm Summilux.

Mark tells me that this lens is to be used with a "Series 7 filter", which is not threaded - the lens hood holds it in place.

I have three lens hoods that fit this lens:

......#12504 which seems to be the right filter for the 35mm, but it doesn't have a place for a filter to go inside it. (f1.5/35)

......#12571J which fits on this lens, and seems to be designed to accept a filter inside it (for f2/50, f2/8/50, and f3.5/50)

......#12585H which fits on this lens, and seems to be design to accept a filter inside it (for f2/50, f2.8/50, and f3.5/50)

Is it true that I just need to order any series 7 filter, and it will drop into one of the last two lens hoods?  

Second question - can I use the 39mm filters on the 35mm Summilux.  According to a fellow at B&H who knew about all this stuff ages ago, I just need to find a "step-up ring, series 7 to 39mm"

Do you guys agree?

If so, any idea where I might find one of these?

By the way, before you warn me that a filter designed for a 50mm might cause vignetting on my 35mm lens, I'm using these on a M8.2, with small sensor.

[...] My first issue is filters for 35mm Summilux.

Mark tells me that this lens is to be used with a "Series 7 filter", which is not threaded - the lens hood holds it in place.

I have three lens hoods that fit this lens:

......#12504 which seems to be the right filter for the 35mm, but it doesn't have a place for a filter to go inside it. (f1.5/35)

......#12571J which fits on this lens, and seems to be designed to accept a filter inside it (for f2/50, f2/8/50, and f3.5/50)

......#12585H which fits on this lens, and seems to be design to accept a filter inside it (for f2/50, f2.8/50, and f3.5/50)

Is it true that I just need to order any series 7 filter, and it will drop into one of the last two lens hoods? [...]

Series VII (or E49 in reverse position) inserted between the two halves of the 12504 hood. 

[...] Second question - can I use the 39mm filters on the 35mm Summilux.  According to a fellow at B&H who knew about all this stuff ages ago, I just need to find a "step-up ring, series 7 to 39mm" [...]

I have no idea how it could fit then given that the only way to use filters on this lens is to insert them into the 12504 hood, but i may be wrong. 

Edited by lct

Regarding the 15mm Heliar, it depends on the model. I believe the later ones take screw in filters but the original ltm one doesn't. There is no thread. I adapted a Cokin system holder to slip over the hood, so I could use colour correction filters with colour film. Not nedeed now on digital, but doesnt help for an M8. I hope yours is a later one!

Gerry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have no idea how it could fit then given that the only way to use filters on this lens is to insert them into the 12504 hood, but i may be wrong. 

I can't picture how it would work either, but the fellow at B&H remembered them from years ago.  The person at Leica also told me about it.  I guess the chances of me finding one are minimal - but I can just buy IR filters in "series 7" I guess.

I can't picture how it would work either, but the fellow at B&H remembered them from years ago.  The person at Leica also told me about it.  I guess the chances of me finding one are minimal - but I can just buy IR filters in "series 7" I guess.

If you mean IR-cut Leica calls "UV/IR" filters, Series VII are indeed available (link below) but can be expensive actually. I have one but E49 filters do work as well if you drop them upside down into the 12504 hood.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=14600&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1&_nkw=leica+UV%2FIR+series+VII&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=16

I have had mixed experiences with the 12504 Chinese copies: two of them worked as intended, one of them was too loose and spun freely on the lens barrel.

Regarding the 15/4.5 v1, the late John Millich used to machine a special hood about a decade ago. It was rather expensive and could be a bit marginal in terms of vignetting, but it was beautifully made and allowed the use of regular E39 filters on the M8. I have a couple somewhere.

I have had mixed experiences with the 12504 Chinese copies: two of them worked as intended, one of them was too loose and spun freely on the lens barrel.

Regarding the 15/4.5 v1, the late John Millich used to machine a special hood about a decade ago. It was rather expensive and could be a bit marginal in terms of vignetting, but it was beautifully made and allowed the use of regular E39 filters on the M8. I have a couple somewhere.

THANKS!

Between what you wrote, and this page (https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12504), my problem is now solved!  

I have an official Leica #12504 lens hood.  I didn't realize it cam apart into two sections, nor did I know the 39mm filter drops right into it when I depress the two "buttons".  I also have the #12571 lens hood.  My 39mm infrared filter is now mounted into the 12571 (inserting the filter from the outside end of the hood), and then onto the 35mm Summilux on the back end of the hood.  Pressing the two buttons allows me to first drop in the filter (pointing out, not in, so the hood can still go onto the lens), and then attach the assembly to the lens.

From what I've read, I can now buy series 7 filters if I wish, and use them instead of the 39mm filters.