Steve Ricoh

Diptychs, Triptychs and Polytychs (Open Thread)

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, stray cat said:

I am ever so sl-o-o-o-wly coming to the discovery/realization that these are actually intensely personal.

Elementary Classroom is really just a sketch reminder to work on down the road. The images sandwiched between the color fields, which are definitely more specific with the weathered surface of the green and the corten look of the steel, are random, but even so, they are personal by choice, though they are not personal history. It's kind of like what Katrien De Blauwer has been doing for the last several decades with cuttings from magazines to express her own identity and history. I mention her, not only because she has an interesting approach with fragmented images, but critics have commented on a kind of Antonioniesque leaning in spare compositions. Her fragmentation technique is very reminiscent of some Bauhaus photography. For Elementary Classroom, I purposely omitted Elementary "School" Classroom and inferred the starting point of classroom, playing off the cliché of "what these walls have witnessed."

Edited by Ernest
add