Diptychs, Triptychs and Polytychs (Open Thread)

Steve Ricoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

Love this sequence with the aviation theme, Jean-Marc - the little pen does lend itself marvelously to diptyches - but the secret, as you so deftly illustrate, is in the intelligent combining of images.

Time tripping!  Orly!  Chris Marker and La Jetee,  where it all started, back again. Jean-Marc needs to see this film if he hasn’t already.

• Like 1

Only with film...

These are exciting discoveries. What a sensational feeling to be still shooting Kodachrome 64! Will you process it as black and white (which I believe can be done)? I imagine I will stand process in Rodinal when I come to do the films I showed. That seems to be the most forgiving process that might yield some results. It would be a shame to end up with nada - that must have been quite shattering! Anyway, I'm sure the diptyches thread will benefit from some hidden treasures, and I'm loving seeing what everyone here comes up with in terms of pairings or multiples of images.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Time tripping!  Orly!  Chris Marker and La Jetee,  where it all started, back again. Jean-Marc needs to see this film if he hasn’t already.

... and just for anyone who hasn't:

Relevant to this thread, as the entire film is really one classic 28 minute polyptych.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Relevant to this thread, as the entire film is really one classic 28 minute polyptych.

Also, I recommend the following Chris Marker books of his photography:  Passengers;  Staring Back; Coreennes (Korean Women); La Jetee; A Grin Without a Cat; and Studio: Remembering Chris Marker with photographs by Adam Bartos, written by Colin MacCabe. 

Cheers, Rog 🎬

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thanks Phil for the link and of course to Rog for mentioning it in the first place. Quite a sinister, dark story (I wish I had better command of French beyond being able to order a coffee, or ask the whereabouts of the toilets [bathroom in the states 🤓], but tried my best to read the subtitles as well as taking in the visual narrative). I must say it’s a good training film for story telling using a sequence of stills. We’re all too familiar with motion pictures that require nothing more of us than to watch and to listen (especially films from yesteryear in contrast to today’s productions that demand more thinking from the viewer), but the polypych goes beyond allowing the viewer to fill the gaps. Clever stuff.

Any more like this?

• Like 2

aachen - winter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Limbs Polyptych

M-A Thambar-M
ADOX Color Implosion

M246 Macro-Elmar-M & Summicron-M 35mm ASPH. Black Chrome & APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA

• Like 5

On 11/4/2018 at 9:20 PM, stray cat said:

Thank you so much, Rog - I really value your thoughts and thought process on how you go about creating the art that you do. It is inspiring and illuminating.

Your thoughts on the latent images, undeveloped for so long, and containing pictures of loved ones, reminded me of something that I'd almost forgotten - and I'm so glad you reminded me. This also fits well into the nature, I believe, of palimpsest. When Mum passed away in 2005 - Dad had already passed away - my brother and I and our families had the rather sad task of sorting things in their home - our old family home of many years. Mum was one who was loathe to get rid of anything so this was quite a big task. Anyway, amongst all the other stuff, in the loungeroom Sue and I came across an old Kodak folding autographic camera - the kind that took one of the weird film sizes like 127 or something. Through the red window at the back we could see there was an unfinished film in it, so Sue suggested kind of jokingly that she take my picture right there in the loungeroom as a kind of memento. We were living overseas at the time and things were a bit hectic - I guess I must have taken the film back with me to Fiji and developed it there. On the resulting negative sure enough there was I, on the threshold of turning 50 in the picture Sue had taken; now cue the music from the Twilight Zone - because a couple of frames earlier - there too was I, only this time in my late teens/early twenties. In the same room! Mum must have taken it at some stage and we'd forgotten all about it and she obviously hadn't used the camera again nor had the film developed.

I guess that qualifies as a palimpsest.

Yes, I know, photos or it didn't happen. I will search unflinchingly now until I find those negatives!

Well, I found the negatives. A few of the above details were a little askew. It turns out that the photo I thought Sue had taken of me was in fact the other way round - I took a photo of her - and it was most likely in 2008 which is when I've recorded I developed the film. And in the original one of me from the 1970s (#3 on the roll of HP4 - Sue's photo is #9) it appears as though I took a self portrait. Still, the couple of photos, on the same roll taken probably 30 years apart, makes quite an interesting diptych. However, as it was not taken on a Leica, I'd better post it in the "I Like Film" thread lest I incur the wrath of the moderators.

• Like 1

French farrier at work.  M7, 50mm C-Sonnar, Tri-X, Rodinal.

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 4

Inlet Polyptych

M-A & M246 APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA

ADOX Color Implosion & Ektachrome E100

• Like 4

Treeline Polyptych

Study using the same mannequin with a different dialogue, like silent cinema, cutting to another scene and creating a narrative without words. (The smudges and scratch on the mannequin legs are actually on the store window.)

• Like 3

Hale Peekaboo Polyptych
Galerie 103 Bruna Stude

Ektachrome E100

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Transfer Diptych
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA
Ektachrome E100

• Like 4

74 Proto Polyptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
Ektachrome E100
Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor 55mm
ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 5

Melvina Triptych 1858
M246 Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. Black Chrome
ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 5

Lattitude Line Polyptych
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
Ektachrome E100
ADOX Color Implosion

M246 Summicron-M 35mm ASPH. Black Chrome

Just to share, the "blue" is a generator steel panel, the "maroon" is a paper bag, the "yellow/orange" is a film end, and the "crowd" at land's end is Kauai. All full frame, except the film end, cropped.

Edited by Ernest
addition
  • Like 6

Wonderful Rog - the steel panel effortlessly and convincingly becomes the sea and sky; the sky motif is repeated in the film end and of course in the Maui shot and the paper bag provides welcome offset on which the drama plays out. The crowd in the Maui shot cunningly references the opening shots of "La Jetée" which is again reinforced by the hint of aircraft in the film end picture. A little bit of cinema in a still photograph - a paradox, for sure, but masterfully conceived and executed. Perhaps there is a new genre here - "Cinéma mort" (still movies) or something.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stray cat said:

Wonderful Rog - the steel panel effortlessly and convincingly becomes the sea and sky; the sky motif is repeated in the film end and of course in the Maui shot and the paper bag provides welcome offset on which the drama plays out. The crowd in the Maui shot cunningly references the opening shots of "La Jetée" which is again reinforced by the hint of aircraft in the film end picture. A little bit of cinema in a still photograph - a paradox, for sure, but masterfully conceived and executed. Perhaps there is a new genre here - "Cinéma mort" (still movies) or something.

I think you ought to be getting royalties, posthaste, off your genre invention--cinema mort! Brilliant! Certainly, something to give Norbert Schneider a run (Still Life). Many publications have hit the mainstream focused on the "essay film" (Timothy Corrigan) and Slow Movies (Ira Jaffe), honestly owing to Chris Marker's La Jetee.  Thanks for the nod to my shot of tourists on the bluff at the Kilauea Lighthouse bringing back memories of the jetty at Orly airport. Maybe it's the distance, the simplicity, almost alienation, and the tonality of the sky. I was working for depth of scale and value, getting some dimensional effect with really nothing more than the color fields and just the one shot using the horizon line as a common denominator. Here's to more cinema mort!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two Tree Hour
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm & M246

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1