Diptychs, Triptychs and Polytychs (Open Thread)

Steve Ricoh

Good idea for a thread :-)

Peroni Girl, Sydney

M9, 1.4/35 Summilux FLE

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f39ab0d3/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

• Like 9

Good thread Steve, I've got a few as you know, but they are from a different............ ummmm, camera.

I'll get cracking and invent a few that comply.

Gary

You're not alone Gary, I've taken some with another system too so can't post them here. Those are the rules unfortunately.

Look forward to your contribution in due course.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

Here's Flickr links to a couple of shots taken recently, non Leica unfortunately, just a little point and shoot digital I had with me. (Had gone out for the day with my wife, and photography wasn't the primary objective, hence the point and shoot - I always think it's worth carrying something pocketable, just in case.)

https://flic.kr/p/2bLYtea

https://flic.kr/p/2aqcM6e

• Like 2

Primary Color Field Study Triptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA
ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 12

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Steve Ricoh said:

45072245222_2d7b53033f_b.jpgDiptych (#1) by -Steve Ricoh-

DG Summilux 1:1.7 / 15mm

Well, this catches the eye offguard. Luminous green paired with sunny yellow, seductive to the senses, then there's the realization that the "canvas" is a living tree, defaced and violated--not an inanimate wall but innocent flora marked by  urban animals claiming real estate. Little do they realize their comeuppance is at hand because the green three-toed foot actually belongs to Godzilla, and if they had seen the 60-second Marv Newland short film "Bambi Meets Godzilla," they would know  what's in store for them.

Applaud the provocative diptych! Good show!

Cheers, Rog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3UogfAGg0

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

It's a thread custom built for Rog, LOL.

Gary

It's kind of you to think so, but while it's sort of in my favorite wheelhouse, I am just cruising around with a compass that keeps giving different readings for north.

Cheers,  Rog

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ernest said:

Well, this catches the eye offguard. Luminous green paired with sunny yellow, seductive to the senses, then there's the realization that the "canvas" is a living tree, defaced and violated--not an inanimate wall but innocent flora marked by  urban animals claiming real estate. Little do they realize their comeuppance is at hand because the green three-toed foot actually belongs to Godzilla, and if they had seen the 60-second Marv Newland short film "Bambi Meets Godzilla," they would know  what's in store for them.

Applaud the provocative diptych! Good show!

Cheers, Rog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3UogfAGg0

Haha, love the YouTube, Rog. 99% of the clip dedicated to the credits with poor Bambi unaware... then Godzilla makes an entrance 🙈. Not seen before, great stuff. And thanks for the analysis provided; as always a good take retrospectively; love it!!

• Like 1

Real Steel

M246 APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA & Thambar-M

• Like 10

Red Playback

Rollei Redbird 400

M246 Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. Black Chrome

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Rog - this is really seeking and breaking new ground. I wonder if this is heading further in the direction of what you described elsewhere as playing with, or incorporating, metaphor into your ~tyches?  Anyway it's an amazing image. Well done Steve, too, for commencing a fascinating thread and populating it with such inspiring images, and also love Mark's Peroni Girl. As the Small Faces once said, it's all too beautiful.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cologne

• Like 14

Equation III Footnote Color Field Polyptych

ADOX Color Implosion, Portra 400, JCH StreetPan 400

• Like 8

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, stray cat said:

Rog - this is really seeking and breaking new ground. I wonder if this is heading further in the direction of what you described elsewhere as playing with, or incorporating, metaphor into your ~tyches?  Anyway it's an amazing image. Well done Steve, too, for commencing a fascinating thread and populating it with such inspiring images, and also love Mark's Peroni Girl. As the Small Faces once said, it's all too beautiful.

Yes, metaphor, absolutely. The challenge of color field studies for me  now is to convey an abstract concept using the interplay of color. There is no prohibition using a color field as a separate adjunct to images, a punctuation, so to speak. Uta Barth did some interesting work in White Blind (Brigt Red) with some flat field colors (red and yellow) interjected in a line of repeated tree images. What the color says and how it functions for her is part of her approach not to make images that document so much as it is to use the photographs (particularly the blur series) to document the process of seeing. Anyway, she received a $500,000 grant to explore her notion.

I touched very briefly on emblematic thinking and its centrality to diptychs informed by the shift from allegories to emblems in the 16th century as a way of perceiving the world. I promise to come back to this with my notes on your provocative diptych.

Cheers,
Rog

• Like 4

Oh, thank you Rog - that work by Uta Barth is just wonderful. What you have said above, in conjunction with your images and White Blind (Bright Red) invites consideration of the emotional impact of color, too - as you say, as an adjunct to its work in punctuating a series - and I guess this is carried forward in its emblematic associations, too.

A $500,000 grant is not too shabby. It is essential that good art be supported. If you happen to get one, please don't forget your buddies in the film and ~tyches threads!

BTW Equation III Footnote (above) is yet another example of exemplary and harmonious color integration - masterful work yet again.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1