Backfocusing lenses. Is it a Leica-only disease ?

miboss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Once the M8's ills were sorted (or accepted with resignation and/or rationalisation) the RD1 sales did indeed go flat.

I doubt there is a cause and effect here. The RD1 came to the end of its production run and sold out at that time. There was nowhere they could go but flat.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest tummydoc

RD1 sales were flat months before the M8 debuted. Then when all the ills of the M8 came to light, RD1 sales restarted. That would lead to the conclusion that some who had been awaiting the M8 decided to opt for an RD1 either instead of or as a backup. Sales of the RD1 didn't flatten again until people calmed down about the M8 IR filters, could buy one without needing to send it straight back for the recall repairs, and DOA reports became less frequent. I'm not sure what the supply remains of new bodies overseas, but Epson-USA never imported the RD1s, though they did a landoffice business selling remanufactured samples of the original RD1.

We all respect the hoops Leica jumped thru to produce the M8--new sensor with off-center collecting lenses, the need to code lenses, thinner IR absorbing filter with the surprise need for IR-cut filters for each lens, and then the even more surprising need for stronger firmware correction, etc.

But even that hasn't stopped the complaints--backfocus, focus shift, erratic color deviations (see http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/29479-filters-wide-angle-cyan-corners-help.html for example).

These are all technical issues that need to be dealt with, and Leica is the most likely company to be competent to deal with them.

I think that's where the problem is with expecting Zeiss Ikon to come out with a digital rangefinder: The problems aren't solved yet. Until the technology is off-the-shelf ready, I don't think Zeiss would even want to approach the matter.

Question: How are Zeiss Ikon and the manufacturer of ZM lenses related? (Not a trick question; I simply don't know.)

If they are more or less the same company, I think the continuing successful sales of ZM and CV lenses to Leica users would give enough profit that they don't need to rush into the digital body business. (They offer lenses also for Nikon, and may be about to add Canon lenses to their list: That seems to me to be where they currently see growth potential.)

--HC

Howard, are you guessing that Zeiss is about to add Canon, or do you have some insider info? As far as I know, Canon is blocking all formal attemps at releasing lenses with EF bayonets, to jealously guard their L lens sales, and the perception among Canon users (not all, I know) that L lenses are the best there are...

Howard, are you guessing that Zeiss is about to add Canon, or do you have some insider info? As far as I know, Canon is blocking all formal attemps at releasing lenses with EF bayonets, to jealously guard their L lens sales, and the perception among Canon users (not all, I know) that L lenses are the best there are...

The good people at Conurus have today a Zeiss N to EF mount conversion which is fully automates focus and aperture.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I knew the guy from FM, but making an intelligent adapter for an obsolete range of rare lenses is not the same as competing directly with Canon for new lens sales, and I doubt that Canon can be bothered going after a guy who probably hand-makes his adapters at max. a few per week, if that.

Carsten--

Best bet is just ignore anything I say. :confused:

Thanks for calling me on the statement. I thought I had seen it on a reputable site, but I can't find it now. Maybe it was Pentax, not Canon? :( But then, I can't find that mention either. :o

Come to think of it, isn't it getting about time for Canon to change their lens mount again to make sure it doesn't become public domain? :D

--HC