M10 battery chargers

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been pleased with the NiteCore chargers that I have been using for the SL and CL, and an M10 charger has been promised for some time.  Well, it was announced a few weeks ago, but still does not show up on B&H or in the Leica Stores' websites.  I've ordered one from NiteCore directly through their Store website.  It has the same price, but supports charging one or two batteries at the same time.  I don't know when it will arrive, as it says this is a pre-order.  I have no business connection here, but thought others might also have been waiting for this...

• Like 1

I've been using a Nitecore charger with my M9 for a couple years. I see the new M10 charger is a dual slot, nice to be able charge two batteries at once but for travel I wish they would make a smaller single slot version also. Either way they are great chargers and half the price of the OEM charger. Cheers, jc

• Like 1

I just bought one using AliExpress. Will probably take some time for shipping to Europe (since shipping is free... ) will see but I am happy to finally see them released, my ULM9 was excellent companion and give me more info like battery capacity and travel freedom than Leica original charger...

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/ulm10pro

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by xiaoheli
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reopening this thread, as comments on the NiteCore line are now scattered.  The problems, or limitations, that have surfaced are 

inconsistent charging performance when a battery is only slightly discharged (sometimes Nitecore doesn't bother to continue) or when you try to use a cellphone brick, some laptops,  or other low-current transformer as your USB power source.  What is seen is that the NiteCore will only get 300 mA charge current into the battery, and will only charge one M10 battery at a time.  When supplied from, e.g. an Apple iPad charger that is capable to 2-3 A output current, the charger can charge at 1 amp for a single battery or do two M10 batteries simultaneously at 700 mA each.

The Nitecores appear to have a simpler charging profile than Leica's chargers.  They charge fast, but stop a bit early for safety reasons.  Thus a battery may register only 80-90% full on an M10's gauge when Nitecore says it is finished charging.  When I put such a battery onto a Leica charger, it trickle-charges for another 30-60 minutes, with the yellow light on, and then registers 100% on the M10.  Although the M10 Nitecore charger appears to have a slower finishing profile than the earlier models, the same result occurs.

TLDR:  Nitecore chargers do what they are designed to do; they are quick and cost less;  Be aware of the limitations.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

What is seen is that the NiteCore will only get 300 mA charge current into the battery, and will only charge one M10 battery at a time. 

Scott, I think what you are quoting is for Standard mode only? 

The NiteCore ULM10 varies the output current depending on the input power from the USB source, and has 2 charging modes: QuickCharge 2.0 mode and Standard mode:

-  In QC mode, the ULM10 will charge 2 batteries simultaneously at max 800mA in either slot...or 1 battery at 1200mA.

-  In Standard mode, it will charge each battery sequentially at max 700mA.

I haven't tried to charge two batteries at a time, and I haven't set it to quick mode (does that happen automatically, or is there a switch.  It's pretty quick as it is.  All I was really aware of so far is that my cellphone USP chargers don't provide enough current for any of the fancy stuff that NiteCore advertises, so I use an iPad -USB charger instead.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

I haven't tried to charge two batteries at a time, and I haven't set it to quick mode (does that happen automatically, or is there a switch.  It's pretty quick as it is.  All I was really aware of so far is that my cellphone USP chargers don't provide enough current for any of the fancy stuff that NiteCore advertises, so I use an iPad -USB charger instead.

you need a Quick Charge enabled input (ie wall charger or power bank with Quick Charge technology).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge