Future of APSC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica "APS-C Future" to me is fantastic because the CL with its improved focus peaking is sharp and clear. I have been using a lot of my M-Mount glass (35mm; 50mm; 75mm 90mm) with the m-t adapter and love the 1.5 crop factor. The renditions from the CL have been virtually indistinguishable from my m (typ 240) images that I recently sold the m240 and purchased a mint m8 and new sensor (11/17) m9 to fill  my stable of Leicas. Use the m8 in monochrome, the M9 for that beautiful color palette and the CL for travel. 

Even the 3 T/L lenses I purchased, the 11-23mm, 18-56mm & the 55-135mm, have been fast and reliable--I love this CL. Over time, I will keep the m9 and probably sell the m8 because these two are more than adequate.

The 24mp APS-c sensor can easily handle blow-ups to 2x3, plus I notice a neutrality to the color renditions even in RAW format. The CL is a winner and I don't miss my 240 very much. The manual focus peaking beats the rangefinder M system for speed. The kit was not cheap for sure (about $8,500 all in) but that's about the going rate for the M10 alone!  In LEICA Land, that's a relative bargain.

Along with the new TL2, I think Leica is showing a decent commitment to the entire T/CL series; plus the high quality availability of your M-glass prime lenses, creates an amazing flexibility for the serious photographer and manual focus is what M shooters are used to anyway (free focus on the T/L lenses allows me to change the Bokeh/focus on different objects.....Live view is handy because the non-articulating screen requires this for certain exposures.

Cheers--Long live Leica APS-c

• Like 2

And, I'm hoping that the next iteration will improve the viewfinder to the level of the SL. That would be fantastic.

Rob

...... it's the size and the optical bits that give the SL EVF its unique look ....... making things smaller always involves compromises so I can't see it happening ...... not for a while anyway .....

• Like 1

Having looked through the SL viewfinder for three years before looking through the CL viewfinder, I was delighted to see that, while just a little smaller, the CL viewfinder is essentially of equal quality. I just looked through a Q viewfinder for the first time a couple of days ago, and the CL viewfinder is definitely superior to that one. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would love to see some APSC designed wide primes with f2.0 or faster. I find the whole APSC vs Full Frame lens discussion interesting for several reasons. First people will argue that a full frame lens will act as if it were 50% longer focal length. This is not true. The focal length is the focal length. The think is the APSC sensor is 50% smaller. So only 50% of the image that is projected through the lens is captured on the sensor. So when enlarged to a 4x6 or 8x12 print, it appears to have a higher magnification. People also loose sight that the field of view of a FF lens on a APSC body will loose 33% of the field of view. When I first read this, I did not believe it until I checked Nikon's website for the lens specifications. Since then, I have never had a desire to put a FF wide angle or ultra wide angle on my APSC bodies (CL & Nikon D7100).

I may be a bit of a voice crying out in the wilderness but would Leica please give us a 10 MM f2 or F1.8? I would gladly shell out the required money. I would consider Sigma IF the MFT curves looked good. But in reality I want Leica lenses not Sigma lenses.

vor 45 Minuten schrieb JayBird:

I would love to see some APSC designed wide primes with f2.0 or faster. I find the whole APSC vs Full Frame lens discussion interesting for several reasons. First people will argue that a full frame lens will act as if it were 50% longer focal length. This is not true. The focal length is the focal length. The think is the APSC sensor is 50% smaller. So only 50% of the image that is projected through the lens is captured on the sensor. So when enlarged to a 4x6 or 8x12 print, it appears to have a higher magnification. People also loose sight that the field of view of a FF lens on a APSC body will loose 33% of the field of view. When I first read this, I did not believe it until I checked Nikon's website for the lens specifications. Since then, I have never had a desire to put a FF wide angle or ultra wide angle on my APSC bodies (CL & Nikon D7100).

Maybe you are willing to learn more about this matter. 

2 hours ago, JayBird said:

I may be a bit of a voice crying out in the wilderness but would Leica please give us a 10 MM f2 or F1.8? I would gladly shell out the required money. I would consider Sigma IF the MFT curves looked good. But in reality I want Leica lenses not Sigma lenses.

Likely a minimum of 2 years from design to prototype stage … and then add another 12 months for testing and initial production

dunk