Breakthrough Filters

jdlaing

Unfortunately it appears they do not offer Series filters which I often must use.

They have a ND Filter in series type.

It’s jsut a pleasure to see an American company with top of the line stuff for a change.

Jdlaing,   I use Breakthrough Neutral Density (ND), dark circular polarizers, circular polarizers, Night Sky and graduated ND filters.  In the past, I used B&W, Lee, Firecrest and Heliopan filters over the last 35 years.  Nothing IMO comes close to the Breakthrough Photography filters for being the most color neutral and superbly made filters.  I especially like their new magnetic filters and their filter holders are excellent.  My landscape images have benefited considerably with the filters and best of all, my clients really like the results.  Great products and warranty too.  For those who might be interested take a look at their site:  https://breakthrough.photography   Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

[...]My landscape images have benefited considerably with the filters and best of all, my clients really like the results.

Ease of use of various filter holders may indeed make a huge difference in the field. However I have to admit that I am somewhat doubtful with regard to optical advantages over, say B+W nano/MRC filters, that might be visible to clients in the final image...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a NISI 10 stop and am satisfied with the results

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Anybody tried one of these Breakthrough Photography brand filters yet?

Both brass and aluminum rings depending on type and Scott glass with nano coatings.

I bought x4nd in a 3 & 6 stop filters with a CPL and bunch of stepup rings. The 3-stop was mostly to use with my 50 noctilux. I like the results better than with my Lee little stopper.

Edited by ru2far2c
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:25 AM, LeicaR10 said:

Jdlaing,   I use Breakthrough Neutral Density (ND), dark circular polarizers, circular polarizers, Night Sky and graduated ND filters.  In the past, I used B&W, Lee, Firecrest and Heliopan filters over the last 35 years.  Nothing IMO comes close to the Breakthrough Photography filters for being the most color neutral and superbly made filters.  I especially like their new magnetic filters and their filter holders are excellent.  My landscape images have benefited considerably with the filters and best of all, my clients really like the results.  Great products and warranty too.  For those who might be interested take a look at their site:  https://breakthrough.photography   Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

I totally agree!

This one was shot uing the CV 15mm Heliar III and a Breakthrough 10 STOP ND: 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bert c said:

May I assume the vignetting of the left & right corners of the beach are a result of the lens and not the Breakthrough ND filter? My BTfilters are extremely evenly coated ...

Here is the original. Take note I am using a 15mm Lens: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My hoods don't fit anymore when I use Breakthrough filters. I had ordered the X2 version 49 and 39 mm but the lens hoods of all my lenses accept the Summilux asps 50mm don't fit. I'm afraid when I order the 55mm the same will happen. 

Breakthrough answered:  "I have not heard anyone having issues with the X4 UV filters and lens hoods"

So please could anyone inform me, if the X4 filters fit the hoods? So I can switch them. 

50 minutes ago, Paulus said:

My hoods don't fit anymore when I use Breakthrough filters. I had ordered the X2 version 49 and 39 mm but the lens hoods of all my lenses accept the Summilux asps 50mm don't fit. I'm afraid when I order the 55mm the same will happen. 

Breakthrough answered:  "I have not heard anyone having issues with the X4 UV filters and lens hoods"

So please could anyone inform me, if the X4 filters fit the hoods? So I can switch them. 

On my 35 Summicon I have been using a Leica filter.  I just put one of my Breakthrough X4 UV filters on it to see if I could replicate your problem.  You are correct, the Breakthrough filters appear to be slightly deeper, and the lip inside the hood does not allow the hood to fully seat.

• Like 1

I have tried with all my lenses. the X2 UV filters 46 and 39mm. 

Only problem is, one cannot use them on different Leica lenses with their hoods on, because of their serrated edge I discovered with some of my lenses. 

135mm Tele-Elmar ( 39mm will not work with shade.), 

Summicron 2,0/50 Canada version IV ( does not work ) 

Elmarit-M 2,8/28mm ( does not work )

Super-Elmar 3,4/21mm (does not work ) 

With the Summilux asps 50mm it works because of the wider , build in hood, so I imagine the 55mm will work on my 90mm asps summicron, 

I did not try out the 55m filters, but it could be, that these don't fit the lenses with newer shades, and the rest like Elmarit-M 2,8/24mm, because the design is the same as the Super-Elmar or Summicron?

Please could anyone replicate this with the 55mm filters X4? 

23 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I have tried with all my lenses. the X2 UV filters 46 and 39mm. 

Only problem is, one cannot use them on different Leica lenses with their hoods on, because of their serrated edge I discovered with some of my lenses. 

135mm Tele-Elmar ( 39mm will not work with shade.), 

Summicron 2,0/50 Canada version IV ( does not work ) 

Elmarit-M 2,8/28mm ( does not work )

Super-Elmar 3,4/21mm (does not work ) 

With the Summilux asps 50mm it works because of the wider , build in hood, so I imagine the 55mm will work on my 90mm asps summicron, 

I did not try out the 55m filters, but it could be, that these don't fit the lenses with newer shades, and the rest like Elmarit-M 2,8/24mm, because the design is the same as the Super-Elmar or Summicron?

Please could anyone replicate this with the 55mm filters X4? 

Maybe you should have tried the X4 type?

I don’t know if the rings are the same. I’ve not had any trouble with the lenses I have. 

Edited by jdlaing

Gerade eben schrieb jdlaing:

Maybe you should have tried the X4 type?

Yes ,I will , but before buying it, It's nice to know if it will fit.It's very frustrating shipping things and than notice they won't fit. there is no information on their website  about diameter nor the fact that the filters will not fit on a leica lens + hood and as we speak, they are measuring the filter diameter of the the different X2 and X4 outsides. ( I hope..)

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

Yes ,I will , but before buying it, It's nice to know if it will fit.It's very frustrating shipping things and than notice they won't fit. there is no information on their website  about diameter nor the fact that the filters will not fit on a leica lens + hood and as we speak, they are measuring the filter diameter of the the different X2 and X4 outsides. ( I hope..)

If you go on their website there is a chat button and you should get an instant answer.