Leica Q-P?

I just shot our grape harvest & crush with the Q.  Fingers fresh from all sorts of shooting, using three of my four "User" settings for different situations, I realize just how well the Q performs on the real world.

Just finished the first "triage" in LR and will do the full post while on airplanes tomorrow (LR CC) -- the main thought about the Q would be to have a 36mp sensor to allow even better images when cropped.  I love 28mm but shoot a lot in 35mm and 50mm -- then recompose in LR.

The system is near-perfection for this photographer, but perhaps the Q-P means "PIXELS".

(not Kewpie dolls https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kewpie)

• Like 2

Not sure how they'd improve on the Q without a new sensor. Weather-proofing is not nearly enough to justify an upgrade.

It's confusing because -P models have usually been mostly cosmetics with a little nip and tuck. Quieter shutter, stronger glass on display, missing red dot.  I'd be all for, say a 35-40MP sensor to make cropping more useful, but somehow I doubt it. 

I thik Q cannot be positioned to be viewed as upgrade to M or SL (it's supposed to be viewed as the other way around). That's why until new M is released with more pixels Q also must stay at current sensor size.

I think they will probably weather seal it, and improve buffering and maybe processing speed for now - can't think of anything else meaninfull they could do until M and SL are upgraded (removing red dot is not meaningful).

It's confusing because -P models have usually been mostly cosmetics with a little nip and tuck. Quieter shutter, stronger glass on display, missing red dot. I'd be all for, say a 35-40MP sensor to make cropping more useful, but somehow I doubt it.

I see what you're saying, but...

Quiet shutter? Check, leaf shutter

Touch screen? Check, already equipped

Level gauge? Check, already equipped

So none of the non-cosmetic upgrades from the M10P would apply to the Q. They've gone away from saphire glass for a while now. So just some script on the top plate? Doubt it.

It looks very close to the shutter release on the CL, which feels a bit more solid than the one on the Q. Hopefully they made the switch harder to flick into continuous mode as well.

This! That's my one and only issue with the Q - it's too easy to accidentally bypass S mode and switch it into C.

It looks very close to the shutter release on the CL, which feels a bit more solid than the one on the Q. Hopefully they made the switch harder to flick into continuous mode as well.

Double the size of the buffer, fix the mode switch, remove red dot. $700 premium?

Peter, the LR master, commented this in the discussion section:

I was told that technically nothing was changed compared to the original Leica Q[/size]

True. But we can see that the shutter button is different. And it would be quite weird to call it a -p if nothing changed other than color - they’ve already done a dozen special editions with different skins, so no reason to degrade the -P designation just for a darker gray color.
  • Like 1

well, at least someone seems to like the Q as it is. (He makes a couple of mistakes about the camera, but not about the IQ or overall quality.) Gateway, indeed. I see an additional Leica in my future as well....

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1