Overcome M8 Resistance/ x Lens

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally it's a 35mm ASPH Summicron, fantastic quality. The 24mm Elmarit is at least as good, but I prefer the 35mm angle of view.

Everyone's different though, so at the end of the day you'll have to make up your own mind, we can't do it for you <grin>.

Guest guy_mancuso

Geez Son was i that boring my friend. LOL

okay you know me, here you go WATE new wide tri-elmar, 24mm elmarit/ I think the sharpest widest lens, 28 cron is my lens cap, Just got the 35 cron also very sharp with some punch. 50 lux untouchable, 75 lux better than the 80 lux , the dream lens. 90 cron very sharp and clinical.

your a bokeh guy the 75 lux and the Nocti 50 f1 are the most creamy in the modern glass. The 75mm cron is also a extremely nice lens buti would say more clinical than the Lux

cheap super wide CV 15mm, also Zeiss 21mm yes it is nice and so is the leica 21mm. Flip a coin save a grand

Not surprised you woke up with a M8 been waiting for to smell the coffee. LOL

Personally it's a 35mm ASPH Summicron, fantastic quality. The 24mm Elmarit is at least as good, but I prefer the 35mm angle of view.

Everyone's different though, so at the end of the day you'll have to make up your own mind, we can't do it for you <grin>.

I thought about the 24 mm since it will be the shortest lens without the additional view finder. I wanted to use the M8 in complement to my other SLR systems. I believe the widest end is where the rangefinder are known for their superior optics. However, Guy understand me well regarding to the image rendering quality that I love the most. But I do not know if it makes sense to add more longer lenses when I already at knee high with them in the SLR systems.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want to stay in the wide end than leica is really the key here. The WATE you just can't find which is 16,18,21 great lens and i really like it a lot. 24mm is a killer lens but 32mm on the M8 so depends on how wide you want to be. There is a Zeiss 15mm 2.8 that is extremely good but it is not RF coupled ( guess at focusing) and hard to code. Not sure if anyone has done it yet. That's about 3600 new. there is a 15mm CV lens with all the parts about 500 which many reallylove and it is a great litte lens. depends on what you want to do but Son bottom line from 90mm down the M glass is extremely hard to beat and you know that. If it was me and i still wanted a DSLR i would maybe have a zoom and a macro than my 180 f2 back . Honestly my need for a DSLR is down to almost zero and many here that have one they are doing some shelf time.

You know my taste so here is what i have in the bag

CV 12mm, Wate, 28 asph cron F2, 35 asph cron, 50 asph lux 1.4, 75 lux, 90 asph cron, 90 macro , 135 3.4 apo and than I kept my Oly 24mm shift. Nocti on it's way

if i did not have the WATE and 28mm than i would either have the 21 or 24mm which the 24mm is extremely nice on the M8 but if you wear glasses than the

framelines maybe tough to see

Now for the forum. Son is one of the orginal folks with Zeiss glass to adapt to the Canon bodies, he is one of the grandfathers of this and all the folks that are adpting Zeiss and Leica lense's to Canon can thank him. He put in a lot of time and effort in that

Geez Son was i that boring my friend. LOL

okay you know me, here you go WATE new wide tri-elmar, 24mm elmarit/ I think the sharpest widest lens, 28 cron is my lens cap, Just got the 35 cron also very sharp with some punch. 50 lux untouchable, 75 lux better than the 80 lux , the dream lens. 90 cron very sharp and clinical.

your a bokeh guy the 75 lux and the Nocti 50 f1 are the most creamy in the modern glass. The 75mm cron is also a extremely nice lens buti would say more clinical than the Lux

cheap super wide CV 15mm, also Zeiss 21mm yes it is nice and so is the leica 21mm. Flip a coin save a grand

Not surprised you woke up with a M8 been waiting for to smell the coffee. LOL

Guy, I was not bored with your thread. If I was I would not wake up with the M8; the stimulations from your works and others are the forces that overcame my M8 resistance.

I also thought so much about the 28 mm but I thought I can go wider since this is where my SLR lens are lack in and also the 28 mm is probably one of the most difficult to find right now. I am glad to see that you use it the most. The 50 Lux has always fascinated me when it first came out and I am sure for other folks as well. However, we live and learn and the SLR gears has been a constant dynamic changes in my case. The 35 Lux also is another lens of interest but I hear too many problem with the focusing on the M8. I also would like to add some more lenses to the M8 setup via the Visoflex. I thought of making adapter for the Visoflex so that we can use the medium format longer lenses since the Visoflex long lenses are weak from my earlier testing with the Canon. There are some stunning long medium format lens that I believe will be great for the M8. Furthermore, I also believe the macro alternative choice with tilt, swing and shift via the Visoflex for the M8 will be of great interest to our works.

Regards,

-Son

Guest guy_mancuso

LOL , No just excited that you got a M8 , i know you well enough to know that you will really appreciate the file quality and having you around more will be fun

LOL , No just excited that you got a M8 , i know you well enough to know that you will really appreciate the file quality and having you around more will be fun

Guy, after your departure the conversation on the forum became dull for me and I do not have the M8 or even the DMR to join you here. Thus, I have acquired both the M8 and the DMR. I feel that I cannot contribute to the based knowledge if I have no based on hand experience; expereince is the best teacher. Only in minutes after I posted the thread I feel the old time is back. Thank you!

Speaking of the Leica M8 file quality I hear too many reports on color shift. Since I have not own this system I have a question to all you experts: If you use the lens from the SLR system adapted to the M8 sensor via the visoflex do you see the attenuation of color shift assuming my lack of knowledge and presumption of the M8 color shift?

Guest guy_mancuso

Not used the Visolflex much but i don't think there is any color shift. Really just a mirror setup. i think maybe what you may have heard is obviously the Viso lenses tend to be old and that maybe the warmth you here about them. Obviously don't have the modern day coatings and such. But i do love your idea of getting some Hassy glass to adapt to the Viso. i think Victor was trying some of that with his hassy glass. The one thing about the M is the ability to use some very old lenses for some very creative looks and charactor in your images. i have gone for the juggler with sharp lenses but there is a 75 or 90 out there that maybe old and have a special look for portraits and such that i want to explore. Imagine sticking a 50 year old lens on one of these bodies, not many systems can do that

Pham, let me say that starting to use a M8 with SLR lenses adapted via Visoflex... is not a good idea unless you are a definite passionate of do-it-yourself strange combinations. Really want to start using M8 ? buy a 35 or 28... too costly ? Find a used or buy a CV ; that's the way, to me: get the filter, code the lens and start shooting: you will be happy and you'll dream only about future lenses to have; then, find a Viso III and go on with combinations : in this forum you can find excellent pics made with M8+Viso+Rodenstock LF lenses.. fascinating.. but, repeat, start with a "trivial" setup.

Guest sirvine

I'll throw my two cents in for a nice and somewhat less expensive alternative to the Leica 28-- the Zeiss 28/2.8 is consistently one of my favorite do-it-all lenses.

After reading Guy's thread I fell asleep and woke up with the M8 but no lens. Based on your extended experiences which lens do you a) use and B) love image rendering quality the most?

I had a wheelbarrow full of Leica glass when I bought my M8. But if I had to start again from scratch, I would probably get a 28mm Summicron – a superb lens – and a 75, a 'cron if I still had some money left, but the CV lens is really good too. This adds up to the equivalent of 37 + 100mm on full frame, close enough to the 35 + 90 combo that so many photojournalists have used. A 50mm Summilux is a viable alternative to the 75 for 'combat in built-up areas'. All else will be 'occasional lenses'.

That said, a 35mm lens (47mm equivalent) is extremely useable for one-lens work. You can choose between (at increasing levels of financial pain) the v.4, 1979–93 Summicron, the current Summicron ASPH and the Summilux ASPH without going wrong. I have both the first and the last one, and can endorse them both.

––––––––––––––––––––––––

I do never fall asleep when reading Guy's postings, not only because his spelling keeps this old proofreader awake and groping for the red pencil, but also because of a certain intrinsical interest ;-)

The old man from the Age of the M3