CL and Elpro 52

EUSe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Close up lenses have been around for a long long time. Nice multi element ones like the ELPRO for a while too. Does every thread have to descend into a "novice user tutorial" bit of condescension or pose a debate as to whether to use an expensive or a less inexpensive piece of equipment? Sheesh. There are plenty of books on the subject of close up photography AND the Leica system ... anyone interested in the subject can go to them and learn. And I think anyone on this forum can figure out how to manage their finances and buy whatever equipment suits them without needing others to instruct them as to what's expensive or not...! 

Let's drop all the foofawraw and concentrate on seeing the photos, please. I like what you've been posting, EUSe. Looks good! Keep going! 

Just before I left on my trip, I found a pair of ELPRO close up lenses made for Leica R lenses at a very good price and ordered them. They're Series VII threaded. So now I need to obtain the appropriate thread adapter rings so I can put them to use, see how they perform on my various lenses. It'll be fun! There were a couple of times when I would have liked a close up lens while traveling, something compact like these will fit the bill nicely. 

• Like 1

It's perfectly okay. I think Dunk is right about the older lower diopter Elpros being more versatile especially for beginners - if you have any or can get them. It depends on your subject and on what you intend to do. I was surprised about the bokeh available with the new Elpro 52, so similar to the 55-135 Apo-Vario. Combined with the 18-56 Vario you can use any focal length and play with both ends. So I will go on playing, but not for now (back to work). I have nothing to show. Feel free to join in.

Edited by EUSe

Here is some more matierial, setup as usual (18-56 and Elpro 56). Euonymus europaeus.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 3

Another one. 

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 3

Last one for now.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor einer Stunde schrieb ramarren:

The second and third of this last set of three are appealing to me. You're getting some very nice results out of that setup. :)

And I will have to be less sloppy - next time I will go out with a tripod in order to avoid 1600 ISO. I dislike the noise I have to cope with. On the other hand the branches were constantly moving and I had to take care not to touch them - difficult. The best parts were  nearly impossible to reach.

Edited by EUSe

Hi EUSe,

I would like to share I have learned a lot of useful tips from our experienced members on ELPROs and other C/U lenses, using it individually or stacking them.

You may visit: "CL and TL - the Macro images thread".

My posting #79 is taken with TL23 + Elpro52 on CL.

Best Regards,

Benedict

EUSe,

For your convenience, I attached the photo from post#79 here

I have acquired Elpro 1, 2, 3 & 4 (very economical) and will test them out when I get the opportunity.

First I need to get some step down rings as these are 55mm.

Benedict

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A quick try from the realm of minerals - a piece of meteorite with peridot inclusions (olivine) - there is still room for improvement. To think that gems from the sky can hit our heads! 🤕

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 7

• 2 years later...
Am 6.2.2021 um 02:17 schrieb nicci78:

TL-23 + ELPRO 52 is only 1:4 magnification. 
You should get something closer to 1:2 in APS-C camera to « scan » your negatives or slides

Actually you need a magnification of about 1:1.8 for a 35mm slide/negative on an APS-C. I tried with 2 lenses that went to 1:2 andit didn't fill the APS-C frame. I used to shoot Nikons so I put on a 55 f2.8 micro Nikor AF which focuses to 1:1 and the setting was below 1:2. An inexpensive way to copy your slides/negatives would be to get a 50-60mm macro (micro in Nikon lingo) and a 25mm extension tube, any of the major brands even Vivitar, Tamron and Tokina made good macros. Adapting these lenses to a CL is easy. 

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Actually you need a magnification of about 1:1.8 for a 35mm slide/negative on an APS-C. I tried with 2 lenses that went to 1:2 andit didn't fill the APS-C frame. I used to shoot Nikons so I put on a 55 f2.8 micro Nikor AF which focuses to 1:1 and the setting was below 1:2. An inexpensive way to copy your slides/negatives would be to get a 50-60mm macro (micro in Nikon lingo) and a 25mm extension tube, any of the major brands even Vivitar, Tamron and Tokina made good macros. Adapting these lenses to a CL is easy. 

Good to know, thanks.