CL and Elpro 52

EUSe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been testing the new Elpro 52 with the TL 18-56 standard zoom - the Elpro is simply stunning. Be warned - you need really good light, a steady hand or tripod and you will have to clean your objects (if possible). Please feel invited to share you images.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 9

Another one, same setup.

• Like 7

A last one.

• Like 9

CL, 18-56, Elpro 52.

• Like 12

CL and 18-56, Elpro 52.

• Like 8

Well, there are always other solutions, dedicated macro lenses like the TL 60 mm f/2.8 or the R lenses (and other bodies, for example allowing focus stacking). What you get is a Karbe-designed lens that works very well with 20 Leica lenses plus two step-up rings. I like its rendering and edge sharpness very much. It is certainly not a tool for all situations. By the way, it works well with the Leica Q, too, which is not on the list.

• Like 1

Leica has been selling Elpro auxiliary lenses since the seventies at least. Were for R lenses then but there is also an Elpro for S camera AFAIK. The current Elpro 52 is the first one working with zoom lenses i suppose but i may be wrong.

I'm well aware of the options. I think that the examples in the OP really stand out :)

Thanks a lot, a friendly staff member at the Wetzlar Leica Store talked me into the purchase once I had asked him to show me the lens and after asking me which other lenses I already owned. I could not afford the TL 60 mm (Christmas wish?) and even this item needed family sponsoring at that time. There was a learning curve in handling. I am still experimenting. Edited by EUSe

CL, Elpro 52 on 18-56.

• Like 10

Leica has been selling Elpro auxiliary lenses since the seventies at least. Were for R lenses then but there is also an Elpro for S camera AFAIK. The current Elpro 52 is the first one working with zoom lenses i suppose but i may be wrong.

All available supplementary c/u lenses, new and s/h,  will work with both prime and zoom lenses. Nearly all original Leitz Elpro and Leitz Macrotar supplementary achromatic c/u lenses dating from 1965 will work with any TL prime or zoom lens - but they require adapters. The later Leitz Elpro 1, 2, 3 and 4 lenses with 55mm threads are easier to adapt than the earlier Leitz Elpro Via, VIb, VIIa, and VIIb types … the latter having 'Series VI and VII' threads. 

T/TL/CL users can likely save themselves at least £200 by opting for a couple of the older Elpros in preference to the latest Elpro E52 … and results with the older Elpros will likely be just as good as with the E52. 

Furthermore, there are many other achromatic supplementary c/u lens brands available which will also give excellent results.

Undoubtedly the new Elpro E52 is a fine optic but it's a relatively simple, 2 element achromat design … which should not be considered as being the sole option for improving existing Leica lenses' close up performances. In fact the older Elpros being lower diopter strength are more versatile … and can be stacked if higher diopter strengths are required. 

I'd wager that a simple 2 or 3 element objective unscrewed from a pair of binoculars would also give excellent results if used as a supplementary c/u lens … provided the bino's objective was of suitable focal length. Most two element achromats are of good quality. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 3

Undoubtedly the new Elpro E52 is a fine optic … but it should not be considered as being the sole option for improving existing Leica lenses' close up performances. In fact the older Elpros being lower diopter strength are more versatile … and can be stacked if higher diopter strengths are required. 

dunk

Did anybody do this? Not me. I find it a little frustrating that this thread, meant to be an image (example) thread open to all now apparently serves for criticising the very fact that someone purchased the item.
  • Like 2

Elpro auxiliary lenses have been made by Leitz since 1965 according to Dunk and even perhaps since the thirties for LTM bodies. Interesting to know that some of them can still be used on current lenses don't you think so? I did not know it personally as i have never used Elpros on my M or R lenses. Always glad to learn new things on this good old forum.  :)

• Like 1

I have been testing the new Elpro 52 with the TL 18-56 standard zoom - the Elpro is simply stunning. Be warned - you need really good light, a steady hand or tripod and you will have to clean your objects (if possible). Please feel invited to share you images.

Did anybody do this? Not me. I find it a little frustrating that this thread, meant to be an image (example) thread open to all now apparently serves for criticising the very fact that someone purchased the item.

OK you've invited members to share their Elpro E52 images … and you praise the E52's capabilities and advise and warn others regarding how to use it … which is OK … but those who are inexperienced in the use of achromats should maybe be made aware of alternative solutions. There is always a lot of 'sales talk' when a new Leica product is announced and some Leica enthusiasts can be a bit hasty in acquiring same. Thus it's reasonable to expect an alternative view especially when it might save potential buyers at least $200. Your E52 Elpro images are excellent but please don't expect everyone to jump on the 'must have an E52 Elpro' bandwagon.  

dunk 

OK you've invited members to share their Elpro E52 images … and you praise the E52's capabilities and advise and warn others regarding how to use it … which is OK … but those who are inexperienced in the use of achromats should maybe be made aware of alternative solutions. There is always a lot of 'sales talk' when a new Leica product is announced and some Leica enthusiasts can be a bit hasty in acquiring same. Thus it's reasonable to expect an alternative view especially when it might save potential buyers at least $200. Your E52 Elpro images are excellent but please don't expect everyone to jump on the 'must have an E52 Elpro' bandwagon.  

dunk

I do get you point. But I never said that the Elpro is a must have, see also #9. It is just a new product that I happened to find after losing a close-up lens some years ago (bought for the XVario at that time, I don‘t even remember the brand). I do own a very good Olympus macro lens. Everybody is free to use whatever he/she is able to get hold of and of course there are other options. Usually this kind of discussion leads nowhere as few people will have the opportunity to really compare different close-up lenses. Will there be a difference and will it be relevant ? You decide. As it comes to cost, we all know the Leica or not discussions.
  • Like 1