Didn't get much attention during photokina:

The Leica CL has a new firmware update:

» Leica CL Version 2.1 (Download)
Details and installation instructions

The improvements:

• NEW: Compatible with the new Leica FOTOS app
    Connect your smartphone to your Leica camera
  • NEW: QR Code for all Leica Cameras
    Easy pairing of smartphone and Leica cameras.
  • NEW: 1-Click Connection with FN-Button WLAN starts without submenus on FN-button.
  • NEW: Fixed WLAN name and password
    No submenus for setting name and password.
  • NEW: No submenus for mode settings
    No submenus for setting a connection mode.

Is the FOTOS app available for general download, Andreas? It seems rather unproductive to break the functionality of the present app by installing the new firmware without being able to install the correct app.

I thought it would be only generally available from the 24th.

So my basic question is: does this firmware update leave the original app working?

Thank you very much, Andreas.

As the connection with a cellular phone never worked for me with CL as well as with T; I completely lost interest in this function. Also, as updating/upgrading firmwares always screws up the continuity of frame numbering and it becomes a real headache for me, I think I better pass this new firmware, as well and stay with the old one.. :)

But I wonder if we could still upgrade to future firmwares if we don’t have this one in the camera?

Not sure. If you want to use the old app, I suggest NOT to update.

Andreas

I would use the new app, if I could get it. But the download is locked  :angry:  :angry: The old one works adequately, but the new one is clearly a lot better. I am off to Africa next week, so it would come in handy...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How is the download locked? I downloaded it through TestFlight on iOS ... I need to update the firmware for the app to work, which I can't do until I get home ... Is that what you're considering locked?

It's probably dependent upon some changes in the camera firmware back-end..

The previous beta version of Leica Fotos works beautifully, at least for my purposes, with the CL. I backloaded that so I can use it while I'm on this trip still.

Edited by ramarren

:(

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm not going to buy an Android just test this. Apparently Leica owners don't own Android phones...

:(

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-10-02 at 23.29.21.png

I'm not going to buy an Android just test this. Apparently Leica owners don't own Android phones...

I think that if you're part of the preliminary beta test, you can get the new version by opening TestFlight on your iPhone and downloading it from there. I never went to that page to set up a new beta test identity, I just downloaded it with TestFlight. You should give it a try.

You need to set up test flight and get a link from the Leica invitation mail, which you could request from the Leica site - that request is locked for iOS. I missed out on the original beta test, unfortunately. I don't know why - it probably was a lottery.

I'm not going to buy an Android just tp test this. Apparently Leica owners don't own Android phones...

They do.  The numbers appear to be meaningless.  Getting an emailed response to either the Android request, which gave access to the beta app on PlayStore, or the iOS request, which signed you up with TestFlight, from which you get the iOS beta, took me half a day or more on each path.  I hope it has improved a bit.  Godfrey is apparently already a TestFlight user from past years, so he could access a copy of Fotos, but that proved to be an earlier version.  

To my surprise the Apple and Android versions seem to look the same and even work (or don't work) the same.  That doesn't always happen.

I always have TestFlight on my system, because I'm regularly testing three to five beta apps (it's my hobby, I guess. :)).

I downloaded the latest FOTOs but couldn't run it because I have no way of updating the CL firmware with only an iPhone and an iPad at my disposal for the moment ... no way to write the firmware to an SD card. So TestFlight let me restore the previous version.

I'll update firmware and install latest beta again on Friday. I'm on the train home, just getting into Colorado... :D

• Like 1

An old fashioned VistaDome, I hope, with cigars and whiskey in the last car.

The California Zephyr has a very nice dining car and a great menu, and an observation/lounge car with big comfy seats and full view windows, curved bubble rooft. No smoking allowed anywhere on the train, but there is a fine selection of wine and, I think, whiskey both in the dining car and in the concession stand. I woke this morning shortly before dawn at the Nebraska/Colorado border, this scene greeted me as I opened my curtains onto the high plains:

45073906291_7a9614d5b3_h.jpg

Dawn Overtakes - Yuma, CO 2018

...From the California Zephyr...

Onwards!

• Like 3

After a new update to the new 2.1 firmware Version, will my personal settings on the CL get lost and completely got reset to original factory settings again?   That would not be a good thing since needs to re-do all those personal settings... 

After a new update to the new 2.1 firmware Version, will my personal settings on the CL get lost and completely got reset to original factory settings again?   That would not be a good thing since needs to re-do all those personal settings... 

Create a user profile with your settings, export the profile to a SD card before updating the firmware, then import the profile again after the update.

You will be back where you started with your own settings then

• Like 1

Create a user profile with your settings, export the profile to a SD card before updating the firmware, then import the profile again after the update.

You will be back where you started with your own settings then

That means the update WILL erase my user profiles!    In another point how could the "user profile" be saved or exported to a SD card?   Through a computer?  

There have been updates where the settings are not erased, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

To do this, read the manual to learn how to create a user profile.

In the menu, there is an option to Export your user profiles; do this to a new-formatted SD card in the camera.

You can save the new firmware to the same card in your computer.

After updating the firmware in the camera, use the menu to Import your user profile from the SD card again.

Then finally, load the user profile, and your settings will be restored.

• Like 2

That means the update WILL erase my user profiles!    In another point how could the "user profile" be saved or exported to a SD card?   Through a computer?  

No - by using the function provided by the camera.

• Like 1