The Australian Magpie.

Lax Jought

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took these photos more than a year ago, I thought I'd post them here.  At my previous address I used to give these magpies some snacks consisting of dog food meatballs sold at the supermarket.  It took a few months to gain the trust of 2-3 magpies, and not long after that, the news spread and about 30 would turn up for a snack. 

These were taken with my M240 with the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 II lens.  This is because the minimum focusing distance is between 0.5m to 0.7m.  The distance from my shoulder to the tip of my fingers is almost exactly 0.7m so I knew if I set the lens to its minimum focusing distance (as per rangefinder focusing) and hold the camera at my shoulder, the photo would be roughly in focus.  One hand would hold the camera and press the shutter, while the other hand would feed the magpies.

I wish was able to use my M8.2, because with the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 and f/1.2, I could have held it at minimum focusing distance and had a closer composition due to the equivalent crop.  But the M8.2 was at Wetzlar for repairs at the time. 

The shots were taken from a mix of f/1.2, f/1.8, f/2, and f/2.8 at most. 

34755991363_466b26f9cb_b.jpg

35519981875_176c96175b_b.jpg

34710395433_c507c15a57_b.jpg

35389353421_295b0a3afd_b.jpg

35519979205_01dfeb432f_b.jpg

• Like 5

Superb series. Better stock up on dog food because these smart birds talk to each other and put the word out. They are much like crows in that regard. You've likely made friends for life.

I didn't have to stock up, I moved house!  It was getting a bit nuts with 30+ magpies turning up every day.  They knew when to come in the morning to catch me as I'm leaving for work, and they knew when I came home from work at the end of the day.  I kinda miss them.

(PS.  The magpies weren't the reason we moved house.)

Edited by Lax Jought

Yes i was there, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

By the way the CSIRO put out a monograph on the Magpie...a fascinating read.

All best...

I thought so!  I had a very good time too, it was such a pleasant afternoon to hang out with all of you.  Do you recall that there was a Deakin University lecturer there?  He gave me his business card but I lost it when I swapped wallets. 

Yes i was there, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

By the way the CSIRO put out a monograph on the Magpie...a fascinating read.

All best...

Also where can I find this monograph by CSIRO?  I just did a general search on Google but nothing significant is popping up.

#1, 3 & 10 are my favorites

Thanks!  I usually get the strongest reaction from #3.   Those eyes are so intense.  One of my colleagues was looking at these photos on his computer screen and when #3 popped up, he said: "oh my god, why do they still look so angry?"