CL or not?

V23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

CL or not to CL? I have watched and read lots about Leica CL that I would like to have as a companion to my SL with 24-90 and a number of M mount lenses. CL would be used mainly as a travel camera with 18-56 zoom. That is where its usefulness does not come to my requirements. This camera lucks weather sealing and either IBIS or an 18-56mm in lens OIS. With new LPS announcement would it be reasonable to expect that Panasonic or Sigma will produce an APSC 18-56mm OIS and weather seal lens? Or should I forget Leica and go for other brand of camera that offers what I want?

I am fortunate to have both the SL and CL.  Having just returned from Hawaii with the CL, 11-23, 18-56, 55-135, I will suggest that combination is killer!  Small, light, and excellent image quality.  It handily beats out the equivalent Fuji camera and lenses in terms of weight and size.  I love the Fuji system, but compared to the CL, it is heavy and big for travel.  Image quality is comparable.  Plus, the CL with M lenses is just so much fun, and highly transportable.  I have not seen the need for IBIS or weather sealing.  Best of luck with your decision!

• Like 2

The SL with M mount lens is not a weather proof combination either. In practice, that, and the CL, will survive the occasional light splash or drops of rain, just as the M system always has.

I have the CL, M240 and SL. For me the CL is a great travel camera because if the combination of size, image quality, EVF, AF and user interface. Many cameras do all of these things better, but none of them are as good across the board for my wishes. 

I'm sure your wishes are different to mine. What would be your choice for an APS-C camera with weather proofing, IBIS/OIS and high quality standard zoom?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

CL or not to CL? I have watched and read lots about Leica CL that I would like to have as a companion to my SL with 24-90 and a number of M mount lenses. CL would be used mainly as a travel camera with 18-56 zoom. That is where its usefulness does not come to my requirements. This camera lucks weather sealing and either IBIS or an 18-56mm in lens OIS. With new LPS announcement would it be reasonable to expect that Panasonic or Sigma will produce an APSC 18-56mm OIS and weather seal lens? Or should I forget Leica and go for other brand of camera that offers what I want?

If a camera does not offer what you want, it appears to me to be rather foolish to buy it. There are plenty of good camera brands out there that offer all kinds of different things. Buy the one that ticks the most of your boxes.

• Like 2

Here is a quick comparison with another favorite brand:  Compare Leica CL, 11-23, 18-56, 55-135, 60 Macro, 35/1.4 with Fuji XH-1, 10-24, 16-55, 50-140, 80 Macro, 35/1.4 in terms of size (cubic cm), weight (grams) and cost:

Leica: 1,988 ccm, 1.975 grams, $13,725 retail.

Fuji:    3,940 ccm, 3,670 grams, $  6,744 retail, $ 5,744 with typical Fuji savings.  No Leica savings, ever.  Buy used and save.

So if you want light and small, no weather sealing, no IBIS, great glass and don't mind the cost - Leica is the way to go.

Fuji takes terrific images, costs a lot less, has IBIS, has weather sealing, and you'll need twice as much space and strength.

Tradeoffs! 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the CL in addition to my SL together with the 18-56 and the 55 - 135 and a Marumi achromat with 5diop. for macros on the 18-56. The CL is not a small SL but nevertheless it is a great and light

supplement, when I do not need the heavy SL with my two zooms. By the way, the M lenses

are not sealed too and give no protection even together with the SL.

• Like 3

Personally, I've never been bothered by lack of weather sealing and none of my cameras has ever failed due to water intrusion. I don't submerge them, but I do shoot in rain and fog when I feel like it. I just take normal care not to let the equipment get too wet, and it's never been a problem.

But if you specifically want weather sealing, you want something other than a Leica CL. I would never buy any camera for which what I want isn't available at the time I bought the camera...

• Like 1