Cleaning hair off sensor

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends, I was disheartened to find evidence of a hair on the sensor of my new 007. I have a Giotto and figured I would check in before doing the clean for the first time. I am hoping that it will be dislodged once I put the Rocket blower to it. So to do that, do I engage the sensor cleaning function, which I assume will flip up the mirror, revealing the sensor. I can then lightly blow the refuse out with the blower. I know enough to do this with the body lens opening pointed at the floor. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Much obliged.

David

Sounds fine. Go for it!

If there is still visible dust, there are MANY safe extra steps from brushes to gel sticks (get the ones for Sony/Leica) to wet cleaning. Leica service uses gel sticks. Phase One uses two different solutions for wet cleaning. I've done all of the above. It's not a big deal.

Good luck,

Matt

Friends, I was disheartened to find evidence of a hair on the sensor of my new 007. I have a Giotto and figured I would check in before doing the clean for the first time. I am hoping that it will be dislodged once I put the Rocket blower to it. So to do that, do I engage the sensor cleaning function, which I assume will flip up the mirror, revealing the sensor. I can then lightly blow the refuse out with the blower. I know enough to do this with the body lens opening pointed at the floor. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Much obliged.

David

Full battery. Do the cleaning in a clean room. In dusy environments, some recommend to do the cleaning in the bath room after a shower (and after the humidity sets). The fear to damage the sensor is much larger than the risk. Easy to say, I know... For a hair, the hair can be removed by a dedicated 'pen' - or sensor stick - with some gel on the tip. But if you are Lucky, blowing with the Rocket will solve the problem. Edited by helged

Gents. thanks for the guidance. Caught a break this time. I flipped the mirror and gave the sensor several blows, and the hair disappeared from subsequent test images. Hopefully it did not remain in the camera. It was rather cool to actually see the sensor, in the flesh, so to speak. It is decidedly bigger than what I recall of the M9 receptor. And Matt, I will pick up what you suggest for the wet cleaning. Just a matter of time before I need to do that as I tend to change lenses a lot.

Cheers, mates.

D

For wet cleaning, Eclipse fluids and pads work fine. Capture Integration sells some fancier pads, and maybe the Phase One 2 fluid kit. (I once had a car with two levels of windshield wiper fluid. One for ordinary dirt and one for road tar. The Phase One kit is like that. If you use the stronger stuff, you then have to use the weaker stuff a few times to get the stronger stuff off. I never needed the stronger stuff)

The sensor gel stick is by Eyelead. Make sure to get the orange one (sony/leica) and not the blue one (everyone else). https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick-for-sony Since using the gel stick for whatever won't blow off, I have not needed to do a wet cleaning.

Leica service uses the gel stick - there’s a YouTube video..

Enjoy!

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 3