steed

Need advice on heretic question: collapsible summicron vs canon 1.4 ltm

I have an early Collapsible Summicron with yellowish cast front element, very good for B&W, but not so for color.

19 minutes ago, ckuwajima said:

I have an early Collapsible Summicron with yellowish cast front element, very good for B&W, but not so for color.

Let it sit under a black (UV) light for a day and it will clear up.

7 hours ago, romanus53 said:

try the Chrome Version of the Elmar-M 50 and feel the Quality of the manufacturing

That is a different version and uses the body of the previous Elmar 50/2.8, with the improved optical cell, which I agree is all beautifully made (I have one). The final version (? from 2002 to 2007) was available in flimsy black only. 

Wilson

On 10/11/2018 at 8:17 PM, wlaidlaw said:

That is a different version and uses the body of the previous Elmar 50/2.8, with the improved optical cell, which I agree is all beautifully made (I have one). The final version (? from 2002 to 2007) was available in flimsy black only. 

Wilson

Are we talking about the chrome lens with code 11823, or the slightly different chrome version that came with the M6J, or both?

There were a number of special edition Elmars and as I have neither seen nor handled them, I don’t know what they were like. The one I was thinking of was made around the early 90’s and combined the earlier and very solid 2.8 Elmer chrome housing, with the later improved optics. All my reference books are packed away at the moment and the Wiki seems to have disappeared, so I cannot give you reference numbers. 

Wilson

vor einer Stunde schrieb M9reno:

I guess my question is:  is the silver version of the lens (made of brass) an improvement over the black version re. the sloppy focusing mount?

IMHO yes, at least the ones I could try, not only the Elmar-M, Summicron 90 too.

I have a collapsible chrome Elmar with my M6-J and the focusing etc is not sloppy at all. It's a great little lens.

Mark 

I had the silver one and while focusing was fine, image quality superb, when collapsed, the tube kept sliding in and out, which became an obsession with me and I eventually sold it.

There is some confusion going on here. The latest Elmar-M 50mm lens, now discontinued, was available in both chrome and black version, apart from the special edition lenses that came with e.g. the M6J. As ususal, the chrome version is entirely brass, using chromed brass parts on the outside, whereas the black version used a mix of brass and black anodized aluminum parts. Their mechanical construction, however, is the same.

I own one of each, and they are impeccable, both optically and mechanically. There is no sloppy focusing feel at all, the precision of that lens is the same as all other Leica lenses. In fact, I rate my two samples higher optically than my Summicron 50mm version 5 (the one with built-in sliding hood). I have heard that the extension tube may develop some play after extended use (so far, mine have not), and this is what may lead to the impression of sloppyness, but it may easily be adjusted. My samples are very tight, probably almost too tight, as it takes some force to extend the lens.

Optically, those lenses are bitingly sharp.

Cheers, Andy

1 hour ago, wizard said:

There is some confusion going on here. The latest Elmar-M 50mm lens, now discontinued, was available in both chrome and black version, apart from the special edition lenses that came with e.g. the M6J. As ususal, the chrome version is entirely brass, using chromed brass parts on the outside, whereas the black version used a mix of brass and black anodized aluminum parts. Their mechanical construction, however, is the same.

I own one of each, and they are impeccable, both optically and mechanically. There is no sloppy focusing feel at all, the precision of that lens is the same as all other Leica lenses. In fact, I rate my two samples higher optically than my Summicron 50mm version 5 (the one with built-in sliding hood). I have heard that the extension tube may develop some play after extended use (so far, mine have not), and this is what may lead to the impression of sloppyness, but it may easily be adjusted. My samples are very tight, probably almost too tight, as it takes some force to extend the lens.

Optically, those lenses are bitingly sharp.

Cheers, Andy

Andy, 

I don't know whether your lenses were from the final factory coded batch like my black 11831 was. It was less than a year old when I got it and showed zero signs of wear (I suspect it was a shop demo lens). It was just poorly made. Others who bought factory coded black Elmars complained of exactly the same issues. Barrel so loose that it would extend with gravity, non-rigid locking in place when extended and virtually no detents on a loose and sloppy feeling aperture ring. Compared with my earlier Elmars, it felt like it was made by a different company. Leica's QC during this 2006/2007 period seems to have gone through a very sticky patch, not just with the Elmars but also with the 28 ASPH Summicron with the whole lens fronts falling off and 35 APSH Summiluxes which would not focus properly at all. 

Wilson

vor 1 Stunde schrieb wlaidlaw:

Andy, 

I don't know whether your lenses were from the final factory coded batch like my black 11831 was....

Wilson

Wilson,

I bought both lenses new, but they are not factory coded. The black one I bought in 2001 I believe, and the chrome version some years later, but well before factory coding was available (I would have to check, but if memory serves me right both lenses have serial numbers below 4,000,000, starting with 389.... for the black one and 393.... for the chrome one). Perhaps I was just lucky, but I never had any problems with those two lenses. I also checked their optical performance, and was unable to detect any difference, they both perform extremely well.

Andy