Forum Update Coming October 8th – 10th

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

NOTIFICATIONS

While reading the Leica Forum, I received a notification (at the bottom of the web page) that I was quoted.  I clicked on the notice at the bottom of the page and was taken directly to the post.  However, at the top of the Leica Forum where the notifications are listed, the notification I already clicked on at the bottom of the page was still shown (in bolder red) as if I had not read it yet.       

13 minutes ago, LUF Admin said:

I had that with the old forum & classifieds.

Will come again but needs some work.

Andreas

Are you also still working on the date of the original start of a topic in the Unread Content?

In the old forum, when I clicked any of the notifications I have received of new posts in a particular thread, I was taken to the first unread post in that thread even if I clicked on a notification for a later post in that thread.

Now, clicking on a notification, brings me to the post to which that notification refers.

While this is logical it isn't very userfriendly since the forum insists on sometimes grouping posts together in one notification and sometimes providing notifications for single posts. The result is that one has to scroll among the notifications to find the one referring to the first unread post or, if clicking on a later notification, go back in the thread to look for the first unread post. This is a pain in long threads, such as the I like film thread.

Is this by design or has something gone wrong, and can it be restored to how it was (or is there a setting)?

Philip

My recollection is different, I think it is working the same as before.

What is a shame is that all the new notifications, which are highlighted in bold red, lose the highlighting as soon as you look at the first one. But that happened before too.

Edited by Gibbo

vor 20 Stunden schrieb andybarton:

Don’t forget that this is COMPLETELY different software. It’s not an upgrade from the old one.

Sorry, i have to correct you.

It was and upgrade from the old one but a big leap from version 3.4.9 to 4.3.6.

The preparation took several weeks, the „hot“ migration was 4 hours and the background processes took about 5 days to put everything in place again.

Andreas – from Greece, recovering from photokina and migration ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Nowhereman

Forgive me if this has been raised before, but I don't see anywhere a counter that shows the number of  views for threads — only a counter for the number of posts. It's a basic piece of useful information that I would assume a forum upgrade would not eliminate. Any strong reason to leave it out by choice?

I thought the English written articles in the update emails

were supposed to be on the left.  If not please disregard.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A request......

My starting screen for the forum is an activity stream for new content, filtered by selected forums and a number of other filters. All my filter selections are listed in a long text paragraph at the top of the page. On a tablet screen this is unnecessary and irritating but not (too) intrusive. On a phone screen this paragraph occupies the whole screen, so I always have to scroll down. Can this text paragraph be removed from the permanent page? It seems to serve no useful purpose, and just gets in the way. I can always dig into my filters for followed content if I want to see or change anything.

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 10/22/2018 at 1:36 AM, Nowhereman said:

Forgive me if this has been raised before, but I don't see anywhere a counter that shows the number of  views for threads 

Here

Guest Nowhereman

@andybarton - There must be a switch somewhere to bring up the view counter, but I can't find it: I only get the listing view below:

That's because you are looking at a condensed version of the forum, via the Activity tracker.

You need to look at the main forum, without all those filters, to see the view counter, or use the Expanded version of the Activity tracker

I miss the 'new' posts option from the old forum but I've made an 'activity' which does something similar.

A really annoying glitch with this new forum is that when I click on a thread I've already read or posted in, it takes me to the first post/page every time. In the old forum it would take me to the first unread post in that thread since my last visit.

Is this fixable?

8 hours ago, Gibbo said:

It isn't broken. If you click on the dot or asterisk to the left of the thread title it will take you to the first post since you last visited the thread. 

Is it possible to get to the first post not read from the Leica Forum email?  Another words, can there be a asterisk or dot provided in the email newsletters?