Forum Update Coming October 8th – 10th

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Big update ahead!

Next week I'll make a big update to the forum software. We are moving from IPBoard version 3.4.9 to 4.3.6 - everyone with some software knowledge will recognize that this is a big step.

The migration is necessary for several reasons:

• Software support: The old version is no longer supported and doesn't receive security updates.
  • PHP version: The current version is based on a PHP version which runs out.
  • Mobile version: The new version brings a much better mobile experience
  • Features and usability: The new version brings a modern interface and great features making contributions much easier

What to do…

Stay calm and carry on. You don't need to do anything until the move - if you are logging in automatically please look for your password.
I'll inform you when the migration process starts and what the time schedule is.
It will include
  • a short down time for backup (~ 1-2 hours)
  • a period in which new content will not move to the new version
  • some days in which the new forum works but will not look perfect: About 3 mio posts and 300,000 are recalculated.

Side effects

I already did this migration for my other communities, so I know that some things will not run perfectly:
  • Some passwords will not be recognized by the new software. This can be fixed either by the „forgot my password“ function or a quick support request to me.
  • During the first 3 days old posts look strange with some BBCode not rendered.
  • In the first week images are displayed as small thumbnails, a background process needs some time to create high quality display images
  • The „New content“ function and notifications work different and have much more options. This will lead to some confusion and sometimes to too many notification mails - but this can easily and individually be fixed.

The only thing I can NOT move over are classifieds ads: There will be a new Buy & Sell area but it's based on a different software.

The good news: Classifieds in the old forum are free now, classifieds in the new one for some weeks too.

Preview

Curious? Here is a small preview how the new start page will look like.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

If someone's password is not recognised are they able to send "a quick support request" to you without being logged in?

Good question. 

Yes, we have and will have a contact form which can be used without being logged in:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/index.php?app=nexus&module=support&section=new

Accessible via a link in the footer.

Andreas

• Like 1

Is it possible, that some posts got lost in transition?

I refer to the Leica SL Image thread, where my uploads seem to be the most actual ones on page 319. I am sure, that there have been a couple of posts after mine from at least 2 users and there definitely was a page 320.

Another problem, I got this little red notification sign at the top of the page, but when I click on the bell sign, no notifications show up.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks great, but it also seems that many things are gone. Things like my profile's content history and likes are zeroed. And pictures posted in forum threads have disappeared (except those hosted on other webpages). Will these things come back, or is it lost?

Edited by evikne

5 minutes ago, evikne said:

It looks great, but it also looks like many things are gone. Things like my profile's content history, likes and pictures posted in forum threads have disappeared (except those hosted on other webpages). Will these things come back, or is it lost?

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, LUF Admin said:

Big update ahead!

• some days in which the new forum works but will not look perfect: About 3 mio posts and 300,000 are recalculated.

Side effects

• In the first week images are displayed as small thumbnails, a background process needs some time to create high quality display images
  •  

(Just a test how to quote...)

vor 21 Minuten schrieb mich:

Is it possible, that some posts got lost in transition?

Yes. Posts and images posted between 9 am and 2 pm (CEST) were lost. As announced:

Am 1.10.2018 um 18:01 schrieb LUF Admin:

a period in which new content will not move to the new version

Sorry for that!

I could use a "How-to" locked instructions thread. I need to know "how to":

- turn off notifications

- get back the functionality previous available for getting a quick list of "My Content" in the user drop-down menu. Showed all the threads I have posted to, as single-line links (no verbiage) with those with unread responses flagged in bold.

Oh - and within the sub-Forums, the page numbers for long multi-page threads are very pale and hard to read. It's like trying to read and click on:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Same for the location header at the top of pages, e.g.

International User Forum > > Leica Forum Discussions > About the Leica Forum > Forum Update Coming October 8th – 10th

Not enough contrast with background gray

Edited by adan

11 minutes ago, adan said:

turn off notifications

This form is your first place to go:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/notifications/options/

In the upper part you can make general settings how for example automatic subscriptions are handled.

Further down you can set detailed preferences…

• … which events you want to informed about
  • … via which way channel (forum notification or email)
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, adan said:

functionality previous available for getting a quick list of "My Content"

I'm not sure if a 100% copy is available. I suggest to play around with creating individual „activity streams“:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/discover/?do=create

There are a lot of options how you can filter down interesting content...

And you can save your settings!

Andreas

"Breadcrumb?" ;) Yes, I noticed that just improved. Thanks,

And I noticed the page numbers I mentioned darken with a mouse-over. What I meant was, for example, "1,2,3,4" in:

Discussion: Essential M Lenses?  1  2  3  4
By bodchzak, Thursday at 11:26 a.m.

...and I did get a custom Activity Stream working, at least for new content since the upgrade, and filtered just for things that I've posted in. Pretty close, although it takes a bit more mousing around than the old built-in "My Content."

I won't jiggle your elbow any more, for the moment.