Forum Update Coming October 8th – 10th

LUF Admin

Guest Nowhereman

I've tried the updated forum some 5 or 6 times yesterday and today, and can't seem to get a hang of it at all. If I have to figure it on my own, looks like I would need to spend several hours — for which I have neither the time nor the inclination. Bottom line: I think there is a need to send an email to forum members explaining how to do some basic things: ideally, the email should include a suggested, basic setup showing how (1) to select the forums one wants to include and (2)  to get a list of unread threads of those forums. 

The other thing I would like to know, is how to get to the first unread message in a thread — in my failed attempts, even if I've read a thread in the updated forum, when I later click on the thread I am taken to the first message in the thread, rather to the first unread message. The other thing I would like to know is how to get a listing of the threads in which I've posted: in the old form, I did a search for my username and specified that I wanted a list of threads.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has the advanced editor and the code editor (I don't mean the <> button but the feature whereby you can edit the actual code of a post) been removed? I found this useful when editing a post with several quotes.

Also, would it be possible to add an empty line above quoted posts? I know it is possible to type under a quoted post and then drag the quoted post below, but if the quoted post is long then it becomes very difficult to do because the editing window does not scroll.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:25 PM, LUF Admin said:

Try out the little „document with magnifier“ symbol on the right side of the editor toolbar.

Guest Nowhereman

Further to my post #26 above: I found the post by LUF Admin in another thread — which I don't know how to find or link — that shows an example of how to set up a new stream. Following that example, I successfully set up a custom stream for listing all unread posts of the subforms that interest me. 

Next, I wanted edit my custom stream to show new posts in all threads that I've posted. I could only succeed in getting the edited stream to show this thread. Does that mean that, currently, streams will show only posts made since the Forum Update? (I also edited my custom stream to show all subjects for 300 days and all threads (rather than unread threads — but no success).

My conclusion is that the the new system is not intuitive and can only reiterate that a brief, simple guide with simple instructions on how to do simple things is necessary.

Some forum users have praised the flexibility and quality of the Update — I haven't, simply because I haven't been able to make enough progress in learning to use it. I realize that an enormous amount of work went into making the change but, it seems to me, the use of the Forum may have been, for the time being, drastically reduced — going by the fact that almost every time I have accessed LUF for the last few days I see myself as the only shown as "browsing" — or is that a glitch?

One comment: I cannot find a way to enter a line feed without creating a new paragraph — is that intentional?

Edited by Nowhereman

21 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

One comment: I cannot find a way to enter a line feed without creating a new paragraph — is that intentional?

Have you tried shift-return?

Test test test test <shift-return>
test test test

Test test test test <simple return key>

test test test test.

I'm on a Mac, BTW.

And yes, I'm on another forum with the same boardware, and it's the same there - seems double-space para-breaks are the default now.

While on the subject of keystrokes - I REALLY wish the Subcript/Superscript formatting options could be returned. Truly useful in some of the technical discussions. One can somewhat fake a subscript with a smaller font size, as in X2, but not superscripts for exponentials, as in X^3.

13 hours ago, philipus said:

Also, would it be possible to add an empty line above quoted posts?

Out of curiosity, why would you want to "reverse the flow of the conversation" by putting a response before the thing being responded to?

Reminds me a bit of Mrs. Cake when she forgets to turn off her precognition (Terry Pratchett reference ;) ).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adan said:

Out of curiosity, why would you want to "reverse the flow of the conversation" by putting a response before the thing being responded to?

Reminds me a bit of Mrs. Cake when she forgets to turn off her precognition (Terry Pratchett reference ;) ).

Haha this made me laugh Andy. I love Terry Pratchett.

I am mostly active in the I Like Film thread where we quote the pictures of others and I prefer to write the reply above the picture. It just becomes more orderly somehow when several pictures are commented on. 

It'd be good at least to have the option to add a line before a quote.

Br

Philip

PS. Thanks for the shift-return tip for normal line breaks.

Test test test

6 hours ago, philipus said:

It'd be good at least to have the option to add a line before a quote.

Appears it is possible to write (or simply start) your response and then add the quotation - I know in the old system "quoting" wiped out a response already typed, but not now.

Also - it is now possible to quote selectively. Select the words you want to quote from someone's post, and you'll immediately see a litttle black-bordered popup box that asks "Quote Selection?" Click on it to drop the quote into a response already in progress.

6 hours ago, philipus said:

this made me laugh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, adan said:

Give this one up. Email lost that fight a long time ago. Convenience trumps temporal coherency, even if it's only an "End" away.

s-a

Ah thanks Andy, that can be the work-around. It works great with multi-quotes. 

22 hours ago, adan said:

Appears it is possible to write (or simply start) your response and then add the quotation - I know in the old system "quoting" wiped out a response already typed, but not now.

I wonder why we can’t see anymore which date a topic started in for instance the list Unread Content. Is this still coming? It’s very usefull to know how old a topic is. Or do I miss something?

Finally it's about time!  Now when I receive the Leica Forum digest via email, I'm finally able to click on the first response and the browser opens to that very comment! 

On the old version; I'd click on the first response (listed in the email) and I'd always be directed to the first page of that thread forcing me to search the thread for the response I was trying to read.  

Edited by thebarnman