Leica S (Type 007) Firmware 5.0.0.0

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Didn't get much attention during photokina:

The Leica S (Typ 007) has a new firmware update:

» Firmware Version 5.0.0.0 Leica S (Typ 007) (Download)
Details and installation instructions

The improvements:

• New Feature: Improved Video Operation Start/Stop Video recording via Leica Cable Release S (order no. 16029) when Video Live View is active
  • New Feature: Additional Photo Mask (3:1) for better composing. Supported by Adobe Lightroom®.
    Photo Mask in Photo Live View Mode Photo Mask in Play Mode
  • New Feature: Maximum Exposure Time extended to 2min.
  • New Feature: Center Marking for Live View Autofocus field
  • New Feature: Customize Controls for Front Wheel Direction
  • Bug fix: GPS Tag was sometimes corrupt within a picture sequence
  • Bug fix: under some circumstances the mirror got stuck after a series of 200 to 400 exposures
  • Bug fix: under some circumstances the camera produced color patterns with the Leica Vario-Elmar-S 3.5-5.6 / 30-90mm ASPH.

Discussion is already running here

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, no issues after update.

Wondering if there are any FW updates for the lenses (can't see any but maybe I am not looking in the right places).

Especially for the Summicron-S 100, to make it focus faster and more decisively. I received this info in an email reply from Mr. George of Leica in October 2015 "We noticed that the 100 mm Summicron sometimes fails to find the contrast points that are necessary for the AF to focus at the right position, specially in lightly dark conditions. That will be fixed with a software update as well. We´re already working on this issue."  I have been looking for that software update ever since; the Summicron being my favourite lens. Have I missed it? Is the update built in the camera FW or are there separate FW update files for the lenses, like in the Fuji world? I guess I should ask Leica directly, since my Summicron performs exactly the same as it did 3 years ago. If anybody here knows, please chime in.

following the instructions, my camera stopped at the end of the firmware update with the screen going blank and no camera restart. Power off/on my only option. Two more attempts and report that the update failed, I have firmware 0.00 reported and no idea if the camera will fail with four shoots in next week planned. Next to try reloading an earlier firmware and then try again

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, hoppyman said:

following the instructions, my camera stopped at the end of the firmware update with the screen going blank and no camera restart. Power off/on my only option. Two more attempts and report that the update failed, I have firmware 0.00 reported and no idea if the camera will fail with four shoots in next week planned. Next to try reloading an earlier firmware and then try again

Please try and update WITHOUT the lens on the camera.  I had a similar issue and it worked without the lenses.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, david strachan said:

Bad luck Geoff...let us know when it's fixed.

We know how important your S is, and to us too...you super studio work.

All best...

Thank you David. I have been away a month (shooting with the little CL on holidays) and I expect to shoot 5000 exposures in the next week with the S. I have a functioning camera with an earlier FW right now. I shall not try any more fixes until after those shoots. I should charge up the batteries in my retired S2 as well plus have the SL.

it is frustrating to have issues with the most expensive Leica system (and my most used) two lens fails and an expensive body repair so far

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now cleared the fault by a successful attempt to install FW 5.0.0.0 with NO lens fitted as suggested.
This seems contrary to the warning dialog and installation instructions caution. I have reported to our liaison person to pass to the engineers if wanted.
. Thank you again Arif for the fix suggestion too.

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 1