Form, content and emotion: Sean Reid's interview with Ben Lifson

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mitch,

I apologize for not replying sooner.

Ewan:

On your first question, whether form can equal content: this question doesn't do much for me in terms of the discussion here,

The reason why I asked the question was to make sure your definition of form is purely visual and without meaning; otherwise your thesis that a good picture must feel the form would at some point would also mean "feel the content" if there is any possiblity that form can be equal to content.

Since I couldn't find your original post on form and content (disappeared due to server trouble?) I just wanted to make sure by asking. But after re-reading your initial post in this thread I think indeed your definition of form is purely something visual and cannot be expressed via semantics. Let me know if otherwise.

Regards,

p.s. Thank you to those who suggested books for learning more about form.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Mitch for the link, a breath of fresh air within an overwhelming electronic world.

I guess this could be a little subjective topic and a very interesting one too so I will add my cent from my humble point of view as photographer, advertiser, and art lover.

2 weeks ago I attend a conversation with the Colombian artist Fernando Botero, here in Monterrey in which he presented his last collection "Abu-Ghraib", a series of paintings depicting the torture of Iraqi prisoners by US soldiers at Abu Ghraib jail. A critic said: "He has demonstrated not only that such things can be represented in art but also that a figurative, cartoonish idiom may be the most powerful means of representing modern atrocity. It's no coincidence that one of the most profound and affecting works of Holocaust literature—Spiegelman's Maus—is a comic book."

When Botero was asked about what art means for him, he simply said: "Art is anything that gives pleasure..."

Photography is a wonderful medium that can be use just as a painter uses his brushes; to express a personal feeling, or to awake feelings in their spectators. Nachtwey, Salgado, and McCurry all use their medium to show us the word as it is, with a tremendous emphasis in content, but they manage to do it in a very cosmetic way. Are their images art? I guess each one of us have a valid opinion and a feeling about it.

if you allow me, I am posting here a few of my personal work just to share my love of this wonderful art who allows me to express what I see but also what I see within my mind.

Cheers!

Ricardo

Zenfolio | Ricardo Villagran

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest malland
...Photography is a wonderful medium that can be use just as a painter uses his brushes; to express a personal feeling, or to awake feelings in their spectators. Nachtwey, Salgado, and McCurry all use their medium to show us the word as it is, with a tremendous emphasis in content, but they manage to do it in a very cosmetic way. Are their images art? I guess each one of us have a valid opinion and a feeling about it...
Ricardo, In my view the best of the three is Nachtwey, and I consider Salgado too sentimental in his approach and somewhat of a "johnny one-note" in his tonality; McCurry, to me, is somewhat of a hack. In terms of being an artist, it is Nachwey who seems to be unable to make a trite composition — and he is self-taught. But I'll find out how he considers himself: he now lives in New York and Bangkok, although most of the time he's on the road. All put the question to him next week when he's should be back here: I don't think he'll speak of himslef as an artist, but I think he is.

Of the pictures you posted I like the last one.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Mitch Alland's slideshow on Flickr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All you've done is to have given an elucidation of form.

My response to Ricardo's pictures above -- except the last -- is not to form or rhythm or balance, but to content. Specifically, the intrigue of their meaning. I'm sure form influences my perception, but I'm also sure it is much less significant than their metaphorical implications.

But it's interesting to me that what I think is the strongest -- the last -- is also the one in which form seems most central to the picture. Maybe that's because it is visually the simplest and its form is most evident. But in that picture it seems obvious that any other geometry would have a very different impact. Of course, so would any other facial expression.

Thank you guys for your comments.

Mitch, I first found about Nachtwey in its "War Photographer" documental and I got deeply impressed by his work and his visual approach. I don't think is art in a literally meaning since he do not create anything in advance, but I would say he manage to portrait tremendously stressful moments in a very artistic way. I have his book "Inferno" which is more than a coffee table book a historical document who should have seen for the masses. I love when he calls himself an "Anti-war photograher" You know, one of the most memorable pictures I have seen is an street riot where to bands are shooting at each other, many photographers are hidden far away with their 500mm canon teles, and Nachtwey is right between the shooting doing his thing. At this moment I just felt the same emotion and chills I got the first time I saw that image. If you talk to him, please tell him we respect him dearly.

Stami, I am glad to hear that, please show the work to the girls and I will be more than glad to share with them my creative process if you are interested, just let me know. My gallery is this: ricardovillagran.zenfolio.com

John, yes, the first ones are about content, in that series I been trying to create little stories and metaphors even though I try to make them with a visual appeal, I found them appealing in their unique way. The funny thing is that Hiromi, the girl with the Geisha make-up didn't like her portrait because she said "I don't look beautiful..." :-) I am glad you guys like it.

Please now look at this other 2 exhibits in order for me to express how subjective photography can be. The first one is a shot of Hiromi that she really loves; for me it is nothing but an empty portrait, nothing new, the common place... only form. Exhibit number 2 is she again now dying of love. She said: "wow I love the idea, but in the other one I look wonderful, can I have that one in print?" :-)

Cheers!

R

Quite hard to put my sandstone about form, content and emotion, times are so far back I studied art and the memorable chapter on composition.

Let's say it quick :)

Find rythm and contrast, and life pops up. Organize them as you wish, then you will show your way for quality of life. If you put them not fighting each other, you may get harmony of a classical ballet. If you don't know how to, you may encounter disorder of free jazz. Don't fall in love with a glance of disturbance, love is already disturbance for harmony.

I remind these words of my teacher : "Men in the caverns didn't paint their anxiousness, they found happiness looking at creation and the results, it was also ways for eternity, even if only hands or animals. Be sure you avoid to look for any sense in postmodern paints. Leave it for few centuries, then come back and admire it".

Anyway, I feel inspired by Edward Hopper, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keth Harring, emotions come easily with contemporary young russians painters or stylish african artists. But : do they express their good moods or bad moods, and what are my emotions, if they are true ? Can I explain ? Hum...

what does this content say?

what does this form convey?

Photos go through a cultural reference/lens as well. I've lived for years in Asia so many of your shots seem more like random snapshots that have been turned into art through a bit of b&w and post processing style. But this is because I am used to seeing these scenes everyday.

I find the hardest skill to learn is be a good self-editor and pull out the photos that are more univeral. What helps is to wait a few years before culling.

Violent ? I don't feel it like that...