SL with M lens -- how is it different than an M with an M lens?

EddieCheddar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I am new to all of this, and I have an M10 with .35 lens.

The M10 has absolutely made me a better photographer (having to adjust all settings, and figure stuff out before you get the shot), which I enjoy.

I have never used an SL.

However, I am interested in the SL system due to the autofocus -- my older contact-wearing eyes would appreciate the auto focus, and it would be nice to get "action" shots at the dog-park, too.

The bulk of the SL lenses scares me, though.  I do enjoy taking the "small" M10 with me on regular outings.

Every now and then I'll read a post where someone mentions how great the SL is with an M lens.

Other than video, how is an SL with an M lens different than an M with an M lens?

Thanks in advance!

Having owned an M10 and owning an SL now and still having my M9 I can say this. Just as formerly an R could not replace an M and vice versa the SL is a different system camera than the M. I see an M as how it was conceived by Barnack, a street camera. The SL is more allround except that’s not ideal for the street. And indeed it focuses very fast for older contact-wearing eyes even with manual focus lenses with the focusing aid, but the M10 has the best rangefinder of all M’s thus far so in practice I don’t see so much difference in ease and speed of focusing. However, I just use M and R lenses on the SL thus far. My eyes are not that old that I need autofocus yet. The thing with autofocus is that you have to adapt to the way the system wor’thinks’, which is not the case with an M. I would stick to your M as long as you can, if I were you.

• Like 1

The M lenses on the SL work like a charm but the experience is totally different from the M. The highlight clipping makes a lot of sense in combination with the EVF (much more sense compared to the M). Add zoom focussing through the EVF and you have a really precise and easy way to manual focus. If you use zone focussing al lot alls this won't matter of course.

Smaller M lenses don’t balance as well on the SL and the manual focus experience doesn’t feel as good as the M.

It’s slower for me to shoot with M lenses on the SL because I don’t have the RF showing things “snap” into focus.

The SL is more accurate because of the availability of quick magnification and peaking in the EVF. You also have a much more accurate view of what type of exposure you’re getting.

I appreciate the ability to shoot M lenses on the SL but have basically reverted to M lenses on my MP240 and native lenses on the SL.

• Like 1

I was in the same boat as the OP until 2 days ago with a m9, then M246, and MP 240 with m lenses. I normally use the rather awful EVF on my M cameras but it’s not ideal. I decided to go for broke and bought a SL to use with my M lenses. Like you. I am wary of the SL lenses as the whole reason I moved away from my Nikon set up was to avoid lugging around huge lenses. The M lenses on the SL are wonderful. It’s so easy to focus and to be honest the SL fits my hands better than the M which I find a little bit small. My first impression is that the M might be relegated to the dry box. A time will tell but so far I think I should have bought the SL a long time ago.

• Like 1

The SL (and EVF focusing in general) is great with fast M lenses wide open.

The M is faster to focus when stopped down. Anything with a greater DOF than 35mm F2 the M is a better tool for manual focusing. When shooting really wide stopped down (ie 21mm F8) it's difficult to achieve critical focus with an EVF.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When shooting really wide stopped down (ie 21mm F8) it's difficult to achieve critical focus with an EVF.

That’s true if you use focus peaking, because the EVF shows the whole image sharp, the scene itself can hardly be seen anymore because of the red, blue or green dots of the focus peaking. With quick magnification however you have good control over the precise spot you want to focus, you can leave focus peaking off in that case.

Hello all,

I am new to all of this, and I have an M10 with .35 lens.

The M10 has absolutely made me a better photographer (having to adjust all settings, and figure stuff out before you get the shot), which I enjoy.

I have never used an SL.

However, I am interested in the SL system due to the autofocus -- my older contact-wearing eyes would appreciate the auto focus, and it would be nice to get "action" shots at the dog-park, too.

The bulk of the SL lenses scares me, though.  I do enjoy taking the "small" M10 with me on regular outings.

Every now and then I'll read a post where someone mentions how great the SL is with an M lens.

Other than video, how is an SL with an M lens different than an M with an M lens?

Thanks in advance!

If you like the M10 with a 35mm lens, want autofocus, but are afraid of heavy and bulky lenses, the best camera for you might actually be the Cl with the 23/2.0. 

• Like 3