stephengv

New Voigtlander 21mm 3.5 Color Skopar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very excited to hear that Voigtlander will have a new 21mm Color Skopar. https://leicarumors.com/2018/09/29/two-new-voigtlander-m-mount-lenses-ultron-35mm-f-2-and-color-skopar-21mm-f-3-5.aspx/ 

I hope the "purple" side issues are solve haha. 

Anyone here excited? 

Not sure how I feel about that 21/3.5. It isn't as compact as the CV 21/4, and with the hood on it seems to be approaching the 21 SEM in size. Unless it approaches the SEM in IQ as well I'm not sure what it provides in terms of options.

Very pleased to see it hasn't got a fixed hood like 15mm so could be used with Lee type filters.

Plus the hood seems to be screwable in e39 , could fit the 21 SA 4 !

I would have preferred a vented hood like that of the ZM 21/2.8 personally but being an E39 lens, third party screw-in hoods should be easy to find hopefully. Compared to the SEM 21/3.4 asph, this CV 21/3.5 looks indeed more compact and its MFD of 0.5m vs 0.7m is as interesting as that of the CV 21/4. Not sure how readable the DoF markings can be on the curious chrome bottom ring though.

The hood looks good.

There is a hood like that available for the old 21/4, I have one somewhere but don't generally use it. It clamps on with a screw at the side.

I wonder if its a new design, or the 3.5 is an 'imaginative' f/4 from the marketing dept.

Interesting that they seem to have gone back to imitation Zeiss Contarex design

Gerry

There is a hood like that available for the old 21/4, I have one somewhere but don't generally use it. It clamps on with a screw at the side.

I wonder if its a new design, or the 3.5 is an 'imaginative' f/4 from the marketing dept.

Interesting that they seem to have gone back to imitation Zeiss Contarex design

Gerry

Yes, the LH-1. It was made for the 21/4 and 25/4 (and the 28/3.5 LTM as well, IIRC). I have a couple somewhere too.

The new hood for the 35/2 also looks very nice - this one is back to old Voigtlander designs.

Likely no hood cap though, which will make accessing the lens cap a bit fiddly, especially if one has big fingers.

The hood looks very similar to the LH-1 that was sold as an option to match the original CV 21mm f4 ltm (and the CV 25mm).  The LH-1 hood was excellent but the 21mm f4 ltm lens was not.  In my experience it was one of CV's early dogs and I got rid of mine very quickly, although some people seem to like it. 

CV have a more recent history of producing an extensive range of consistently good lenses and this new 21mm f3.5 might be worth another look as a small backpacking and travel option.   Looking at the images linked to by the OP, it seems to be a leap ahead of the original ltm version in build quality.

Edited by Ouroboros

The hood looks very similar to the LH-1...

From the images it looks quite massive. Does it not get in the way of an external viewfinder?

From the images it looks quite massive. Does it not get in the way of an external viewfinder?

It is large but the original lens was very small and the hood didn't interfere with the external finder too much as I recall.  My real point is that the LH-1 hood didn't stop the ltm 21mm f4 from flaring badly at every opportunity, which, coupled with the fact that it was never very sharp was my main reason for offloading the original CV 21mm f4 ltm.

The 21 f4 was known for sample variation, yet my copy was very good. I’ve had a few 20-21mm lenses and the VM was my favorite. On my M9, with the right profile and low ISO the edge coloration was usually not noticeable, and the M10 is better. I use it more on the M10 where the 020 EVF gives a good preview. I doubt if I’ll replace it.

I bought the ltm 21mm and the 28mm color-skopars together and the differences between the two lenses extend from materials and build quality to image quality throughout the aperture and distance ranges.  It was difficult to believe they were both made by the same manufacturer, being so far apart in every way.

I still have the CV 28mm, at like-for-like apertures and subject distances, it's not far behind my 28mm summicron asph and is good enough to always convince me that 'upgrading' my backpacking 28mm to the 28mm elmarit-m asph simply isn't worthwhile.

To put some context into my experiences I use a Leica MP and not a digital Leica M camera.

Yes, the LH-1. It was made for the 21/4 and 25/4 (and the 28/3.5 LTM as well, IIRC). I have a couple somewhere too.

The new hood for the 35/2 also looks very nice - this one is back to old Voigtlander designs.

Likely no hood cap though, which will make accessing the lens cap a bit fiddly, especially if one has big fingers.

Yes the lack of a hood cap and the extra bulk is why I haven't used it much, I b8it whwn I had the 25 and kept it when I got the 21 later. Both were good on film, the 21 I still have not so good on non leica digital (although not TOO bad!)

Gerry

Gerry

According to specs, lenses' schema is different from the f4

Edited by luigi bertolotti