Using polarizer with lens hood?

Einst_Stein

Have I used a camera with lens hood? No.

Have I used lenses with lens hoods? Yes.

Have I used lenses with lens hoods and filters? Yes.

Seems you have never own a modern fixed lens camera. That OK, irrelevant.

But I am curious how do you use the polarizer on the lens that has a dedicated lens hood ( FYI, attached to the outer ring of the lens).

Edited by Einst_Stein

I use a polariser on the SL lenses. As the hoods are so large, and it is impossible to fit and adjust the polariser with the hood on, I adjust the polariser first (you have to have the hood off to attach the polariser). Often, the polariser is of most effect when a hood is also needed, so once the polariser has been adjusted how I want it, I put the hood back on. Not sure there’s another way of doing it.

• Like 1

I use a polariser on the SL lenses. As the hoods are so large, and it is impossible to fit and adjust the polariser with the hood on, I adjust the polariser first (you have to have the hood off to attach the polariser). Often, the polariser is of most effect when a hood is also needed, so once the polariser has been adjusted how I want it, I put the hood back on. Not sure there’s another way of doing it.

There is, some recent Pentax hoods have sliding slot to provide access to polarizing filter. I believe these are kind of wide- mormal prime/zooms.

Long fast lens with big front elements usually have filter drawer at the back. Polarisers are usually controlled via external wheel geared to filter inside.

Thanks a lot for the link. i think these requies a fit lens or fit hood.

The filter acceess window is a good idea. I am gonibg to ask a friend in China to make a sample with 3D printer to fit SL.

The 82mm B+W lens hood can be screwed onto a PL filter fitted to the 24-90 SL, and the whole filter hood combo rotated as required. I had one sitting around at home for years from an old video camera lens.

There is NO vignetting whatsoever with one filter under the hood (which is much more compact than the 24-90 hood). I’ll post a photo and the hood code number when I’m back home in the next day or so.

Edited by MarkP

Better pics to follow when I have time.

Can't find the PL (think it's in the car :rolleyes:) so I've attached a UV filter to demonstrate.

The B+W hood doesn't have a code stamped on it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Follwoing your previous message, I found these.

I would assume the round shape has less flare protection on 24-90mm?

The lotus shape may be closer to 24-90mm original shade, but requires two rotating actions, first to set the polarizer orientation, the second to adjust the rotus orientation. ... may not be more convenient than simply rmove the shade, the put it back.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well I've had no significant flare problems with this hood screwed into a PL filter on the 24-90 SL.

The lens is relatively flare resistant.

Everything is, of course, a trade-off but when I want to use a PL filter this is much easier than fiddling around the lens' original hood. 

Furthermore, it does make the 24-90 a much more compact package than with the original hood fitted, still affords protection to the lens, so I use it quite often even when not using a PL filter.

I thought it was long discontinued. Mine doesn't have a code number but I think is the same as this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11202-REG/B_W_65041222_82mm_Screw_In_Metal_Wide.html

@MarkP

Thanks for posting the photo and the additional information.

I've just  ordered the B+W screw-in hood. As soon as I have used the hood and the polarizer I might report on my experience with them.

krauklis

Edited by Krauklis
  • Like 2