S lens images on SL

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just acquired the S adapter L

S-35 lens on the SL 601

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

S35 on the SL601

What are your thoughts? Are the new SL or old S lenses better?

I'm not sure I can answer your question definitively. However, the S lenses are incredibly good on the SL. The autofocus is slower, but the images are superb. The S 120 definitely hunts a bit more. Perhaps, also attractive is there are some good buys on pre-owned S lenses at the moment. 

I'll post some more, but the ones below are taken with the S120.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

Now you've got something to play with :) They do look very nice on my screen. But no SL here, not even remotely.

Yes, just what is needed . . . more things to play with. :)

They are seriously good on the SL. I find it easier to nail focus on the SL with the superb EVF, and the joystick for focusing, coupled with the fact that the S lenses give me 3 new primes for the SL @ 35mm, 70mm, and 120mm w macro.

Rob

• Like 1

S-120 w SL601

• Like 1

Thank you for the image. I'm keen to compare side by side images of S120 on both the S and SL camera bodies with the subject at maximum reproduction ratio and the same distance between camera and subject. I'm wondering whether the smaller sensor size might introduce an apparent magnification by covering a larger proportion of the SLs smaller sensor (smaller pixel dimensions notwithstanding).

Bruce

Thank you for the image. I'm keen to compare side by side images of S120 on both the S and SL camera bodies with the subject at maximum reproduction ratio and the same distance between camera and subject. I'm wondering whether the smaller sensor size might introduce an apparent magnification by covering a larger proportion of the SLs smaller sensor (smaller pixel dimensions notwithstanding).

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

This is what I was suggesting. Since both the SL and S007 have a six micron pitch sensor, the math is easy. The gains from the smaller apparent sensor are offset by the loss of megapixels (37.5 to 24).

At minimum focus, the SL is a 24MP crop of the 37.5 S image. Differences in microlenses can change the picture and it is likely that the s006 has higher accutance than the 07/SL due to the smaller microlenses of Kodak CCDs versions nearly all modern CMOS sensors.

Ropo will be able to confirm the math empirically but in this case, they should be nearly identical when viewed 1:1. You get more surrounding Image with the S.

When comparing the TL2/CL the story is different because the APS C sensors have smaller pixel pitch. (Or if the Panasonic S1R supported the S to L Mount adapter, the S1R would have higher apparent magnification if viewed at 1:1)

Yes, just what is needed . . . more things to play with. :)

They are seriously good on the SL. I find it easier to nail focus on the SL with the superb EVF, and the joystick for focusing, coupled with the fact that the S lenses give me 3 new primes for the SL @ 35mm, 70mm, and 120mm w macro.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Congratulations on your excellent works with the S lens on SL.

I am intrigued by your experience using S lens on the SL601.

I would like to learn from you the latest FW required for S lens 35 Summarit (non CS) to work with SL through the S-L adaptor.

My SL is running FW 3.3 now.

I am offered a very attractively priced S 35 Summarit (US$2600) and S-L adaptor ($US$600).

The lens has not been upgraded since purchased but condition is mint.

I am aware of potential AF Motor problem of early S lens, so will need to take care of that.

Your kind advice is greatly treasured.

Cheers.

Benedict

Singapore.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Congratulations on your excellent works with the S lens on SL.

I am intrigued by your experience using S lens on the SL601.

I would like to learn from you the latest FW required for S lens 35 Summarit (non CS) to work with SL through the S-L adaptor.

My SL is running FW 3.3 now.

I am offered a very attractively priced S 35 Summarit (US$2600) and S-L adaptor ($US$600).

The lens has not been upgraded since purchased but condition is mint.

I am aware of potential AF Motor problem of early S lens, so will need to take care of that.

Your kind advice is greatly treasured.

Cheers.

Benedict

Singapore.

Hi Benedict,

The price for the S-L adapter is excellent!  Don't hesitate on it at that price as I am sure it would not take long to re-sell if you so chose.

My SL is using firmware 3.3 - recently downloaded - and I am not having any issues (nor did I when I first tested the adapter a couple of months ago). 

As far as AF failure on the S lenses, I can only relate that which I have heard, which is many do fail, not all, and the estimated cost to have Leica repair may now be in the range of $700 if the lens is more than 5 years old.

Notwithstanding, the lenses are really nice on the SL.  The one below was taken a few months ago outside of Leica Miami's store with the S 70 on the SL, and convinced me to buy the adapter.  

I will post more later this week.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Hi Benedict,

The price for the S-L adapter is excellent!  Don't hesitate on it at that price as I am sure it would not take long to re-sell if you so chose.

My SL is using firmware 3.3 - recently downloaded - and I am not having any issues (nor did I when I first tested the adapter a couple of months ago). 

As far as AF failure on the S lenses, I can only relate that which I have heard, which is many do fail, not all, and the estimated cost to have Leica repair may now be in the range of $700 if the lens is more than 5 years old.

Notwithstanding, the lenses are really nice on the SL.  The one below was taken a few months ago outside of Leica Miami's store with the S 70 on the SL, and convinced me to buy the adapter.  

I will post more later this week.

Dear Rob,

Appreciates your quick response.

I guess you are correct that the adaptor price is super to buyer, whilst i must factor in the possible repair bill of $700 for the S 35 lens in case the AF motor gives up. Then the kens is about average priced as pre-owned.

As i dont have the S camera, i would not be able to update the S lens FW.

Would you know the minimum FW the S lens must have as it is stared on the Adaptor it must be higher than xxx.46.xx or something like that.

Regards,

Benedict

Regards,

Rob

Dear Rob,

Appreciates your quick response.

I guess you are correct that the adaptor price is super to buyer, whilst i must factor in the possible repair bill of $700 for the S 35 lens in case the AF motor gives up. Then the kens is about average priced as pre-owned.

As i dont have the S camera, i would not be able to update the S lens FW.
Would you know the minimum FW the S lens must have as it is stared on the Adaptor it must be higher than xxx.46.xx or something like that.

Regards,

Benedict

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benedict,

If there is a way to check the lens firmware, I'd be happy to do so.  I purchased it pre-owned and it perhaps updated with the firmware on my S007, but I do not know.  Perhaps someone else on the forum can help with that answer? (Or, maybe give Leica a call?)

I would certainly buy the adapter for the price quoted.  As for the35mm lens price, I'm not sure what to tell you, other than the S lenses work quite nicely on the SL, and there are some great buys around. Not all of them fail, but it is a concern. 

Regards,

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

If there is a way to check the lens firmware, I'd be happy to do so.  I purchased it pre-owned and it perhaps updated with the firmware on my S007, but I do not know.  Perhaps someone else on the forum can help with that answer? (Or, maybe give Leica a call?)

I would certainly buy the adapter for the price quoted.  As for the35mm lens price, I'm not sure what to tell you, other than the S lenses work quite nicely on the SL, and there are some great buys around. Not all of them fail, but it is a concern. 

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

A 20 minutes drive to Leica Customer Care resolved all my doubts.

They updated the lens FW, tested out on the SL 601, and everything is working as it should be.

Indeed the adaptor is a good buy, whilst the lens price ok since AF works presently (if the AF can last for a year I will be satisfied).

Anyway it is always buyers beware.

Will try out the combo coming weekend.

Thanks again.

Benedict.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

A 20 minutes drive to Leica Customer Care resolved all my doubts.

They updated the lens FW, tested out on the SL 601, and everything is working as it should be.

Indeed the adaptor is a good buy, whilst the lens price ok since AF works presently (if the AF can last for a year I will be satisfied).

Anyway it is always buyers beware.

Will try out the combo coming weekend.

Thanks again.

Benedict.

That's great to hear, Benedict!  I suspect that you will be quite pleased seeing the results.  Please let me know your impressions.

Rob

Rob, indeed I am pleased with the IQ.

It is another option to get a Leica 35 lens that works well on the SL.

But  would not know if this is better than SL prime 35 Cron that is  to come.

• Like 1

Another photo cropped 40% still very decent IQ.

Same S 35 Summarit on SL

F2.5 1/10000 ISO200

Photo before this S 35 Summarit on SL

f2.5 1/3200 ISO200

Edited by bencychin
  • Like 1