M10-P & LR6 Missing Adobe Standard Profile

ELAN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Photos imported from my new M10-P into Lightroom 6.1.4 are missing the Abode Standard profile. Only the LEICA M10 profile is available. Does anyone know how I can recover the missing Adobe Standard profile??

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(Photos imported from the M10 correctly show both profiles.)

I have also noticed this.

I contacted Adobe and they came back to me to say the M10P isn't technically supported, hence the missing profiles. Even though it's the same as the M10.

If I look at photos made with my M10 the profiles are there. I suspect at some point there will be an update which will resolve this.

I mainly use Capture One and have noticed the files from the M10P are very saturated unlike from the M10. A similar answer I'm afraid from Capture One support.

I've created an ICC profile using Lumariver for Capture One

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit the exif data to rename the camera from M10-P to M10 to overcome this until there is an update.

[...] Does anyone know if it's possible to edit the exif data to rename the camera from M10-P to M10 to overcome this until there is an update.

„exiftool“ is a very powerful commandline utility to change exif data in batches and with a substantial amount of options. I use it on Mac and Linux, but I think (not sure) that there is a Windows CLI version available.

• Like 1

I doubt Adobe will release another LR6 update with new cameras support.

Since the M10-P is identical to the M10 from the image processing perspective I was hoping to use the M10 Adobe Standard profile. I extracted the M10 profile from the LR6 bundle, renamed it to M10-P and placed it in the appropriate ~Library/Application Support... folder but alas, that didn’t work. I also tried using a hex editor and added -P to the model inside the file itself but that too didn’t work. There’s probably a checksum somewhere I’m not seeing. Perhaps somebody knows?

I try to make due with the LEICA M10 profile but the colors are too staturated, especially skin tones that are too yellow/brown. I wonder why Leica never corrected that?

I’ve long resisted the LR7 subscription model and considered Capture One instead but looks like it doesn’t support the M10-P either. As much as I hate Adobe and their subscription-only model it looks like LR CC is the only viable option for now. Arrrr....

As I understand it LR 6.xx will no longer be up dated with camera profiles or anything else for that matter. It is no longer supported by Adobe. You'll have to go LR CC and their subscription model or find another company for processing your files. 

As for C1 it will take them a little while to update the M10-P profile to their list of available cameras. They are always slow with process. So being a C1 user you just have to have patiences for upgrade and up dates. :)

Some software developers take longer than others to add camera profiles to the mix....

• 1 month later...

I experience the same issue with Lightroom Classic CC newest Version from the Adobe Cloud.

The imported files from the M10-P receive a profile from the (regular) M10 and does show the Adobe standard profiles (not even after a reinstall).

Therefore, presets using the standard profiles are not working any more.

I already contacted Adobe support without success.

Does anybody have the same issue when importing the DNG from the M10-P? I tried in Lightroom on Mac an Win.

Regards

Tim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried renaming the camera with ExifTool. That didn't work. But with somet tweaking the M10 profile can be very useful as a starting point. I learned to like it. Skin tones are wonderful. Try these:

Play around with Orange Color depending on what is in the scene, vary Yellow Saturation from -20 to -30, and play around with Blue Luminance. I like them the way they are most of the time.

And don't forget to make adjustments to the Calibration panel.

Reduce the Magenta Tint a bit, too.

I'm a Capture One 10 user.  So far I've only worked on one M10-P file.  I was able to get it to work by editing the DNG file with a hex editor.  All I had to do was change two characters. The camera is identified a few "pages" down from the beginning of the file.  See the screen clip below.  I changed the "-P" in "Leica M10-P" to null characters, in other words, I changed 2D 50 hex to 00 00 hex. Apparently this is all that's needed to make Capture One think the file is a plain M10 file. The colors appeared correct.

For some reason, if the camera name says M10-P,  then even if I tell C-One to show all profiles and assign the Leica M10 Generic profile to the image, it's treated differently. As the original poster noted, I get a very yellowish and oversaturated image. It's a pain to have to edit with each DNG file, but some of these hex editors can be programmed to do the same thing to all files in a folder. In which case, it could be an easy fix until Phase One supports the M10-P officially.

Please, if anyone tries this, WORK ON COPIES of your DNG files.  Don't edit the original files on your memory card, or you could destroy your images if you mess up. Also please note that an ordinary word processor or text editor will not work unless it has a binary or hex editing mode. Also, typing spaces over the "-P" will not work, because spaces are not the same character as a null character, even though they may appear the same on the screen.  I make no guarantee that the above will work for you, I can only say that in one image, it worked for me, and I intend to explore it further.

--Peter

Edited by pklein

Running through this thread is a misconception -- Since Leica didn't say anything to suggest otherwise, we assume that the  raw image you get from an M10-P (or M10-D which is the same under the covers) is the same as the raw image you would have gotten with an M10.  It's not.  The experiment I did was to shoot some simple fruit and vegetable still lifes with lots of yellows, greens, and reds with both cameras, on a tripod, using the same exposures and fixed white balance.  I then processed each of them twice in Capture One 11, once with the "DNG neutral profile,"  and once with the "Leica M10 generic" profile, which you can select for the newer cameras.  The results with M10 images look OK both ways (I prefer the M10 profile), and the results for my M10-D look a little flat in the neutral DNG profile, and way too reddish in the M10 profile.  I've written to the COne team about this, and others should as well, since I am only repeating what is reported earlier in this thread.

Using a hex editor to fool COne into applying the Leica M10 profile to an M10-P file (a) doesn't  help. (as noted above) and (b) is much more work in Cone than just going to the profile dialog (lens icon) and selecting the M10 profile for that exposure.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 1

Scott, thanks for this info.  Things look different to me now than they did at 1:00am.  🙂  I did a bit more tweaking using an unaltered file and one with the "-P" edited out of the camera name, using both the DNG Neutral and Leica M10 Generic profiles. All the combinations look wrong, but some are more wrong than others.  So of course we need to get Capture One to support the camera. The question is, what do we do in the meantime?

What's also interesting is that the "as shot" white balance numbers are drastically changed when loading the altered file with "-P" removed.  I set the white balance here by clicking on the out-of-focus white lettering on the lens' outer ring. Using the reflection from the chrome lens release button gave similar results.

Here's something from the Phase One user forum.  Some folks mentioned rolling their own profile with a color checker and Lumariver. This gentleman, from Paris, France, suggests the following:

Re: Leica M10-P

Postby tenmangu81 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 am

When the M10 was launched, I got some RAW (DNG) pictures from friends and from the Leica website (especially from Maik Scharfscheer). At this time C1 didn't yet offer any ICC profile for this camera, and I used the Adobe DNG neutral with a linear curve, as suggested by Ian, to develop them. I got, to my view, much better results with this process using C1 than the oversaturated (to my mind) jpeg displayed on the Leica website from the RAW files, probably obtained using Lightroom.

Of course, a tailor-made profile is better, but the Adobe Neutral ICC profile/linear response combo, as suggested by Ian, is not that bad : you start from scratch (a dull, flat image) and can adjust anything you want to obtain the desired result.
Edited by pklein

• 4 weeks later...

That should have been coming down the pike.  Can someone see if it recognizes the M10-D as well as the -P?   Leica does talk to Adobe. 

Unfortunately, Capture One has to wait and hear from the users.  Release 12 just came out for COne, still with just the default DNG stored parameters available for M10-P and M10-D.  But that profile doesn't ruin anything and is easily post-processed.