Leica SL2- ? L Alliance

bozu_shutterbugger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is my issue, and I’m shooting the 35 Summicron-M with the Z7, the α7R III, and the M10-P as I’m writing this, it’s a huge mount. With the Novoflex adapter, which is therefore big, the tiny M lenses protrude to the front. Too far for me to get to them underneath the body. The Novoflex adapter for the Sony is smaller, flatter, the α7R III body a bit smaller. I can get to the M lenses. The Sony combo with M lenses feels somewhat more snugly. You’d say the SL has the same issue. Yes, if one wants to get to the small M lenses underneath the body, but the SL has a left side grip. I may post a picture to show how big the Novoflex adapter is.

Only time I found mismatched camera and lens to be arkward to use was when shooting handheld M240 with Leica R APO 180mm f2.8 lens, probably biggest contributor to this was external EVF. To add insult to injury EVF performance is just awful.

i regularly use M lenses on SL601, smallest being APO 50mm and biggest 75mm f1.4, fully aware that combination is compromise. Actually main reason I bought SL was to be able to use R lenses and also M lenses with full benefit of the excellent EVF, other benefits being extended exposure and ISO range especially 50 iso setting. 

Cameras like Z7 or SL are designed to work best with matching native lenses. In case of Nikon Z7 current primes seems to be similar size to Leica auto focus equivalents, any other non-native lens that works optically is conscious compromise.

i can see major benefit of Z7 apart from having extra resolution today is having user selectable LNER, I doubt Leica will ever tackle LNER issue (wish to be wrong in the future).