Leica SL2- ? L Alliance

bozu_shutterbugger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends:

I know this question might have been asked long time ago about SL2. I did not hear any SL2 announcement at Photokina instead heard about the L Alliance. So does that mean its a good time to buy into this system? if so, is it worth buying the SL now or wait on SL2? I feel SL2 wont be out until next years event for I think right now they want people to invest into this line. 

I have invested in the M10 line significantly and just dumped all my Canon gear which I used for landscape. I used Canon just so I can be a little careless with my equipment vs M10. If Sigma & Panasonic are going to make lenses for this mount, may be just a may be SL is what i should buy? 

What are your thoughts, opinions, feedback, gripes... ? 

Appreciate your response. 

Don

For landscape it will be interesting to see what Sigma has in the hat with the FFF and the L mount...

Based on the announcement, all 14 Art primes will be made to L Mount ! And if you already have a Art lens with EF or Nikon Mount, you can send it in and they will change the mount for you. May be for a fee. Imagine sigma 100-600 art lens ( recently launched I think ) made for an SL that can shoot at 11 FPS (when in focus ) it will be epic for wild life

• Like 1

I know this question might have been asked long time ago about SL2. I did not hear any SL2 announcement at Photokina instead heard about the L Alliance. So does that mean its a good time to buy into this system? if so, is it worth buying the SL now or wait on SL2? I feel SL2 wont be out until next years event for I think right now they want people to invest into this line. 

There will always be a better newer camera in the future. If you like the camera now is the moment to buy it. Since we just saw the launch of the L-mount collaboration I believe this system will be around for a while.

• Like 1

LUF owners need to start thinking what pictures should br acceptable for posting in the future, those produced with any equipment with L mount or restricted to Leica only?

L-Mount is a Leica product. In a broader sense ;)

Serious: I'll reorganize the forum structure a bit - with an L-Mount section, with subsections for other manufacturers.

Andreas

• Like 14

It seems almost certain that an SL2 will share at least, some of the S1R technology. We might even see an SL2 and SL2R... There will be some Leica DNA involved and you'll essentially be paying for that rather than any real world IQ differences.

I'd pay the extra to share batteries with my SL. For the Leica menus and interface. For the build quality and feel. For DNG files. I will get a Leica if I can because I enjoy shooting with them, regardless of the tech inside. I have several other brands and I almost always get a bit frustrated with them because they get in the way sometimes. Leicas get out of the way.

But hear me now Leica. I will not buy another Leica camera with mandatory LENR.

Gordon

• Like 4

It seems almost certain that an SL2 will share at least, some of the S1R technology. We might even see an SL2 and SL2R... There will be some Leica DNA involved and you'll essentially be paying for that rather than any real world IQ differences.

I'd pay the extra to share batteries with my SL. For the Leica menus and interface. For the build quality and feel. For DNG files. I will get a Leica if I can because I enjoy shooting with them, regardless of the tech inside. I have several other brands and I almost always get a bit frustrated with them because they get in the way sometimes. Leicas get out of the way.

But hear me now Leica. I will not buy another Leica camera with mandatory LENR.

Gordon

+1 (S3 included).

L-Mount is a Leica product. In a broader sense ;)

Serious: I'll reorganize the forum structure a bit - with an L-Mount section, with subsections for other manufacturers.

Andreas

Admin, much appreciated, looking at posts 14 and 15 I am in full agreement with the sentiment.

How do we convey to Leica that mandatory LENR or Long Exposure Noise Reduction feature is not desirable. I am aware some people would be happy if nothing changes but it is shortcoming which makes users rethink future purchase decisions.

• Like 4

I don't think LENR has anything to do with the L mount. The M has it as well. As  far as I am aware it has to do with heat management.

As long as Leica builds as compactly as possible their sensors will heat up fast, making LENR necessary.

Possibly a Sigma or Panasonic camera will fill your needs, if they are larger than future SL cameras. 

• Like 1

I don't think LENR has anything to do with the L mount. The M has it as well. As  far as I am aware it has to do with heat management.

As long as Leica builds as compactly as possible their sensors will heat up fast, making LENR necessary.

Possibly a Sigma or Panasonic camera will fill your needs, if they are larger than future SL cameras. 

Removal of video on M10 was attributed to heat dissipation issues however your argument doesn't stack up for still image on any hardware platform.

If you expose, say, for 1 minute and LENR is enabled it means camera is working for 2 minutes.  If LENR is disabled camera works only for the duration of exposure or 1 minute only.  So, which mode of shooting should generates less heat; I am really tempted to apply your favourite emoji of rolling eyes. 

• Like 1

There is misunderstanding here. I think what Jaap means is that because Leica builds so compactly, they know that the image sensors in their cameras are very prone to heating when taking long exposures. They may not want users to see how badly heat induced sensor electrons contaminate the photoelectrons of an image. Therefore, mandatory LENR. This logic shouldn’t apply to the S3, obviously.

• Like 2

There is misunderstanding here. I think what Jaap means is that because Leica builds so compactly, they know that the image sensors in their cameras are very prone to heating when taking long exposures. They may not want users to see how badly heat induced sensor electrons contaminate the photoelectrons of an image. Therefore, mandatory LENR. This logic shouldn’t apply to the S3, obviously.

Or SL601, body is substantial heat sink.

I think allowing heat induced noise to be present in the final RAW should be end user choice, the whole crux of LENR argument.

• Like 2