First digital Zeiss

lct

• 2 months later...

It looks like an interesting, innovative camera and I'm glad to see technology taking new directions that inevitably lead to new options for photographers, which can only be a good thing.  That said, I'm extremely surprised that Zeiss has put the big, red, 'reading data' LED on the front of the camera; it just seems counter-intuitive to me and will simply draw attention to the camera and photographer.

Since Lightroom CC comes pre-installed does this mean that there will be a monthly subscription payable to Adobe on top?

Not a camera for me at this stage.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I agree this is a real innovation - a camera designed for direct linking to the internet. Time will tell if this is the best design or if it actually works as well it is intended, but I'm glad to see someone trying.

Is that light a data reading light or a focus assist beam? (which I normally turn off)

Edited by LocalHero1953

14 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Is that light a data reading light or a focus assist beam? (which I normally turn off)

Oh, good point, Paul, and on second viewing I think you're right that it's a focus assist beam.  Similar to you I never have one on (I think only my SL has one anyway) so that possibility had completely passed me by.  I also note a conventional data reading light on the reverse side too so it must be a focus assist.  Apologies to all for my inadvertent misdirection.

Pete.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a focus assist beam. 1.45 in the Zeiss video with Sabrina Weniger shows it in action.

This camera is really intriguing, and represents a movement away from traditional cameras and into a market where smartphone usage is prime. With Lightroom CC built in, a huge harddrive and WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities, it will be very useful for people who want to shoot, edit and upload on the run, like travelers or journalists. The likely price will make it difficult for many journalists, though. There's no way this will be cheaper than a Leica Q.

Recently I have been using LR mobile app. My main use is to process iPhone pics and sync them to my desktop LR. I have grown to like the experience. Specially if the volume is less. You can do local processing etc just by finger gestures on smartphone. It also gets synced to LR desktop in the background via cloud. No extra effort needed.

Now if the same experience is available in camera itself (like in the case of Zeiss camera) then I will certainly welcome it. Only issue for me is the transient nature and relatively short obsolescence period of anything internet. I change smartphone and upgrade apps every three to four years. Not sure I would like to treat my camera that way. Specially a premium camera. 

I'm curious about Zeiss's intended market for this camera.

A high quality internet-connected camera would appeal to those who are already familiar and comfortable with the idea of smartphone photography: those who take it and post it, but want something better than a smartphone lens and sensor can provide. It would also appeal to photojournalists: those who need speed of distribution of professional quality images from a professionally sorted body. The first group, though, would be startled by the size of the Zeiss compared to a smartphone; after all you can already use LR CC on a smartphone screen. The second group might be more accepting, but I still wonder whether they need the bulk of a full-frame body for fast response photojournalism.

Leica appeared to attack the same markets with the T: a camera with a smartphone-like interface, and, with an APS-C format sensor, not massively bigger in the body than a large phone, and in similar styling. Being of its older generation, however, interconnectivity was poor, and is not much better with the Fotos app. If a TL3 has far faster and more seamless internet integration, the two will be interesting head-to-head competitors for similar markets. If there is big demand for such connectivity (and I suspect there will be), it will also be interesting to see how Sony, Fuji and Panasonic respond (Canon and Nikon are only just beginning to move away from traditional SLR dinosaurs, so are likely to be behind the curve for a while). I'm sure they already have similar products and technology not far from launch.

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 12/28/2018 at 6:50 AM, jmahto said:

Recently I have been using LR mobile app. My main use is to process iPhone pics and sync them to my desktop LR. I have grown to like the experience. Specially if the volume is less. You can do local processing etc just by finger gestures on smartphone. It also gets synced to LR desktop in the background via cloud. No extra effort needed.

Now if the same experience is available in camera itself (like in the case of Zeiss camera) then I will certainly welcome it. Only issue for me is the transient nature and relatively short obsolescence period of anything internet. I change smartphone and upgrade apps every three to four years. Not sure I would like to treat my camera that way. Specially a premium camera. 

If you are photographing for the Internet I doubt whether anything beyond an iPhone or Huawei, + Snapseed will gain much.

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

If you are photographing for the Internet I doubt whether anything beyond an iPhone or Huawei, + Snapseed will gain much.

Instant (or close to instant) sharing is for internet, however the same shot can be processed later in desktop for large prints. Right now I take two sets of pictures. One from phone and other from serious camera. If LR app is integrated with serious camera then there is no need for phone pic. Serious camera can do double duty. At least that is my thought.

But then again serious camera should have longer lifespan which is not possible if it relies on such software integration. 

• Like 1

Very interesting camera. Unfortunately fixed lens. So not my first camera, but may be my second camera if the price will not be high like a first camera 😉
But what i am curious about is the display. Can it be calibrated? If not, i won´t edit the RAWs in LR on it but do it on my EIZO as usual.
There are many things to know before i would go in a shop to try this camera by own hands.
Finally i wait what all the early adopter will report in their blogs...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 12:41 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Interesting - but still waiting to see how it plays Lightroom, and how quick internet upload speeds are.

I am guessing that the experience is same as LR mobile on phone. I like what I can do with phone pics (editing and uploading to my desktop LR). Very smooth workflow. My only issue is how soon the hardware (camera) is going to be obsolete with respect to the software that runs on it. Will you be able to sell in second hand market if LR is no longer compatible with camera in 5 years?