FOTOS App

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My comments interspersed, marked with ***

Back to the Fotos App.........

Downloaded and updated CL with f/w 2.1 (I wasn't asked to save and reload my profiles, unlike with the SL)

Updated the android app on my Huawei P10.

1-click WLAN switch on works well, though I haven't added it to the Fn button yet.

*** 1-click seems to require a front function button, which M10 has, SL has, CL doesn't have.  I have moved WLAN to the favorites menu on all cameras, and one click in the menu sets it on.  Is that what you are calling "1-click"?

App connects without problems and seems to work.

***yes, for M10 and CL

A big improvement is that the WLAN on the camera stays on under most scenarios:

- disconnecting the app

- putting the phone to sleep

- walking away from the camera with the phone to lose the connection

I haven't had any crashes to test this yet.

Switching the camera off does switch off WLAN, so you have to turn it on again after restart.

This is useful.

***Shouldn't there be a timeout, something like 10 minutes, if you walk away or turn the phone off?  In fact, there may be, because the wifi timeout and the camera timeout seem to be two parameters, separately set.  Let's test and see how they interact.  The Wifi, running on camera battery, is probably good for an hour or two before it runs the camera battery down completely.  This will depend on the camera used.

Another improvement is that the LCD goes blank once connected. You can now set up the camera on a tripod in a discreet location and NOT have the LCD illuminating the environment.

*** I guess that is the right thing to do, but there is information on the LCD (or on the liveview that you see with a VF20) like over/under exposure and histogram data that would be seen on the liveview feed but is not presently getting to the mobile app.  Let's ask for that.

It is still annoying that the app only works in portrait mode, and you can't zoom the display to help with focusing.

***agree.  How will this become a field editing tool without orientation choice and better scale-up?

I like the mode implementation with this app: no longer a choice of PASM, but you choose which parameters are set automatically: ISO, aperture or shutter - any combination you wish - plus manual EV. Simple.

*** that's how the Ms have always worked.  A mode = A shutter, A ISO, S mode  = A ISO, M = no A's...  P mode  was not possible.  I think M programmers wrote this thing.

I haven't tried, but it is not unlikely that the CL updates work the same as the M ones: After updating insert the card that has the last shot taken on it and the camera will pick up the numbers where it left off.

That seems to work for the Ms but not for the CL.  I always do firmware upgrades by simply adding the firmware to the currently active SD card.  If the card has a dense series of file folders (L100, L101, L102...) the new files on an L mount camera go into the last folder, even though the earlier folders are not full.  But If the current card has only folders starting at L105, say, after the upgrade, everything goes into the newly created L100.  You would think that saving the most recent shot number and its directory could be saved and used after an upgrade.

Installed firmware v2.1 and Fotos.app works like a charm on my iPhone X and iPad Pro.

Fw 2.1 on presumably the Leica CL body, right? :)

I'll be about to do the update on Friday when I get home.

Edited by ramarren

• 3 weeks later...

The basic functionality of the app on android with the CL seems to be fine with some niggles which I guess will eventually get sorted out.

The real problem in my eyes is simple app performance: downloading anything takes an age: a bit under a minute on the SL and about 45 secs on the CL for one DNG image. Downloading a full res jpg image to my surface pro from the SL (7Mb) using a web browser over my home wifi network takes just a few seconds (as Wilson Laidlaw has found out in a separate thread, this functionality has been disabled for the CL).

This just isn't fast enough.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The basic functionality of the app on android with the CL seems to be fine with some niggles which I guess will eventually get sorted out.

The real problem in my eyes is simple app performance: downloading anything takes an age: a bit under a minute on the SL and about 45 secs on the CL for one DNG image. Downloading a full res jpg image to my surface pro from the SL (7Mb) using a web browser over my home wifi network takes just a few seconds (as Wilson Laidlaw has found out in a separate thread, this functionality has been disabled for the CL).

This just isn't fast enough.

I fully agree. But I only intend to use the app for a remote release. I am also going to wait for the release later this month and download it from the iTunes store.

Got a note from the FOTOS support folks when I sent in a comment today that there will be no further releases until the public release end of next week.

So if there is something that irks you, get a good example in your log files and send it in with an explanation of why this must never happen again.

Paul A, I think your timings on downloads to FOTOS are slower than mine.  I'll do some more careful tests and write them up for this blog/forum.  But I agree that downloading to FOTOS only makes sense for selected DNGs or JPGs, not for blocks of shots.  This path isn't going to help an event shooter who has to be printing souvenir magnets in the back room during the party.

I'm also curious about what fraction of a battery it takes to keep the wifi link up for an hour, say, for each of the cameras currently supported.  Has anyone measured this?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

I ran my test over 17 images on the SL, and 10 images on the CL, using the time display on my phone: it was only to the nearest minute, but over the number of images I downloaded my figures should be reasonably accurate.

I guess download speeds will be affected by the phone's abilities (Huawei P10 in my case, so fairly new) and local interference.

I did some download timings just now.  It also depends on whether I use the iOS app (on an iPad mini), where downloading a full size DNG from CL or SL takes about 45 sec and a compressed DNG from the M10 about 20-25 sec.  Or the Android app, which is about 30% faster, taking 10-15 sec on my old Moto G4 from the M10.  I'm timing individual files with the second hand on my watch.

How do you get a group of files to download?  I haven't figured out how to select more than one at a time.

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I did some download timings just now.  It also depends on whether I use the iOS app (on an iPad mini), where downloading a full size DNG from CL or SL takes about 45 sec and a compressed DNG from the M10 about 20-25 sec.  Or the Android app, which is about 30% faster, taking 10-15 sec on my old Moto G4 from the M10.  I'm timing individual files with the second hand on my watch.

How do you get a group of files to download?  I haven't figured out how to select more than one at a time.

Tap Select, tap each of the files you want to download, then tap the download button. 

I tried it again in a cafe yesterday: android (Huawei P10) again and the CL, and it was a similar speed, around 45secs per image. There were a lot more wifi networks around, so wifi interference is probably not the problem, then. I will check how different file formats affect it (jpg, compressed/uncompressed etc).

Edited by LocalHero1953

I repeated the experiment by downloading 10 dng files (that's all I have on my cards) from the CL and from the M10, in the quiet of our house, with maybe 3-4 WLANs close by.  The files were not adjacent on the card.  10 files of roughly 45 MB each on the CL took 433 sec.  10 files of about 25 MB each from the M10 took115 sec.  So the downloads run about twice as fast on the M10, on a per-bit basis, at least with the cards I was using and the folder structures on each, which are not the same.  (I use faster cards in the CL, I think.) FOTOS on Android is still shaky on my SL.  I wasn't able to get the thumbnails to finish coming up.  The app shut down.

Also sometimes I have disconnected from a camera, using the "settings"/"disconnect" path, and been unable to reconnect without recapturing the QR code.  But not always.

edit:  I got the iOS 24.2 FOTOS connected to my SL, waited quite a while until most of the thumbnails for the 650 pictures on the disk were visible, and times a 10 picture download.  It completed in 9:40, 58 sec/DNG file.  I understand that TestFlight encapsulates a test app with extra overhead, so this may not be the performance to expect from the eventual public app.

This is still in flux.  Did anyone notice that the screen shots from FOTOS that Leica Rumors exhibits have stuff that we haven't seen in the semi-public beta?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1