FOTOS App

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indicative of nothing in particular, I decided to compare transfer speed between my CL using Leica FOTOS and the iPad Pro 12.1" vs the Leica CL card in my Mac mini (running macOS Mojave v10.14) SD card slot to the internal SSD drive. I chose the ten most recent files, DNG-only capture, from the CL in both cases. The card is a Lexar Pro 1000x 128G capacity with about 1800 exposures on it. I used the CL's native hotspot since I cannot make it connect via any WLAN at present. 

• CL via Leica FOTOS to iPad Pro: 6:06.51 
  • CL card via built-in reader and Finder to Mac mini: 0:07.51

The total data is 453 Mbytes. So that means the CL hotspot using FOTOS and the iPad is transferring files at about 1.24 Mbytes per second. The card reader is operating at 60.16 Mbytes per second, 48x faster. 

It's fun do to these measurements. They mean little, other than the obvious: It's much more sensible to move lots of big files around with faster connections. :D

Addendum: I also measured the speed of moving the same ten files to the iPad Pro 12.1" with the Lightning to SD Card Adapter. 

• CL card via Lightning to SD Card Adapter ito iPad Pro: 00:27.73

This transfer achieves 16.3 Mbytes per second, about 13x faster than FOTOS over WiFi. 

Edited by ramarren
add data

Is there a way to have the connection up between the CL and the FOTOS app and still shot with the camera in a normal fashion? This seems possible with the M10, but this one always asks be whether I want to turn-off the WiFi connection, when I touch any button on the camera (including the shutter release). I know remote is possible, but this would not be my use case ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Photon42 said:

Is there a way to have the connection up between the CL and the FOTOS app and still shot with the camera in a normal fashion? This seems possible with the M10, but this one always asks be whether I want to turn-off the WiFi connection, when I touch any button on the camera (including the shutter release). I know remote is possible, but this would not be my use case ...

The difference is that the M10 has mechanical controls, with software override for aperture mode and auto-ISO. (which are enabled by the A settings on the shutter speed and ISO wheels).  The CL seems to have a tight package of all-digital controls, so either the user's hands or the app are running things, and there doesn't seem to be a joint mode.  As you see, when you try to change a setting with the signals generated by the wheels and buttons on the camera, the CL goes "TILT."  On the M10, you can put it into a state which disagrees with what the mechanical controls say, which is confusing.  The last version of FOTOS might have done something about this, but I haven't checked.  

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Good.  I also think you should be able to exercise control locally while in "remote" mode.  There is information, such as the histogram, that doesn't come out on the same feed as the view out through the lens, and isn't presently being passed to the mobile.  So, I think we don't see the histogram from the CL except through the Visoflex.  This may have changed, but that's how it was last week.