FOTOS App

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does it mean that the new connection elements of the new firmware that we just got does works only together with the new Fotos App? I do not understand all of this too well. Up to now I never user this WLAN function.

Edited by Alex U.

I never used the old app, but the approach to setting up the WiFi link in the newest software for each of the enabled models (SL, CL, M10...) is to go straight to providing a network connection to the camera, and displaying a bar code that gives the netID and the PW on the camera's LCD for the phone to scan and pick up.  The second option, of having the camera be a fairly dumb system on your home network, has gone away.

I just downloaded it, installed and it looks pretty cool to me. I have the latest firmware and using an Apple 7+. I never really used the other one, it worked but never really used it and I am not sure if I would use this but its here in case I do. Looks more modern than the other and you can choose your camera in a scrolling list of cameras when setting it up. I seen no issues with it as I was using it this morning. Works as it should. How much use it will get - only time will tell. I mostly pull photos off the SD card into Lightroom and work photos on my computer but I guess if you're on top of a mountain and forgot your laptop and need to work the photos....well here ya go. 

• Like 1

Happy I am an iPhone Luddite then ;)

??

I'm running the iPhone 8 Plus on iOS 11.4.1, you're running the iPhone 7 on iOS 12.x. Which of us is a Luddite? :D

I doubt that makes any difference at all: The Leica CL app is unstable on both my iPhone and my iPads. I made connections with it, but it wouldn't work reliably or consistently. I don't work with stuff that doesn't work consistently ... It's too much of a waste of my time.

The early beta of Leica Fotos was limited in features but worked very consistently and reliably with the CL and my devices. I can't run the latest public beta, Leica FOTOs, until I can update the CL's firmware, which I can't do without a macOS or Windows system to write the firmware to the SD card (can't do it with an iPad or iPhone).

BTW: I submitted a feature request to Leica on this. They should support performing a firmware update on the cameras with the Leica FOTOs app since that's the only way someone who only has iOS devices can update their camera without going to a dealer to do it for them.

Does it mean that the new connection elements of the new firmware that we just got does works only together with the new Fotos App? I do not understand all of this too well. Up to now I never user this WLAN function.

The new beta version of LeicaFOTOs requires the camera to have a matching firmware revision, for example the CL needs to be at v2.1 firmware to complete the connection. I suspect this is not because of the WLAN connection itself, since the app actually does see the camera and make a connection. I suspect fw 2.1 has some control bits in it that allow the new LeicaFOTOs app to control it properly, which weren't there in the previous beta versions.

What I really dislike in updating firmwares is the whole picture numbering restarts all over again from zero and screws up my folders, order of shots, etc,.. I think I am going to pass this new firmware since I don't even use this feature. It has never worked for me with T and CL. Amazingly, it was working fine with my 109. I think Leica still has lots to learn from Panasonic.

I hope Leica would also take the continuity of photo numbers more seriously in future firmwares.

Leica is not the only manufacturer whose firmware updates change image numbering. I simply built my image management system to ignore the numbering ... My system treats the image file numbers purely as an identifier and appends other information that allows me to order the images in the file system as works best for me. If I need the image files to have a particular sequence for some reason, I rename the original raw files as apropos and that change propagates throughout the development of my rendered products.

Remember: You can never tell from the public information what else might have been improved with a firmware update. :)

The Leica SL app worked very well for me with the SL body, and has worked well for me with my Olympus and Nikon bodies in the past. I never got the Panasonic app to work correctly and the Sony app was similarly pretty flakey. The Leica CL app was, to me, a surprising poor regression compared to the Leica SL app. So I can't say that Leica is particularly off the mark, just that they had unresolved problems with the CL app that they are addressing with the new app.

What I really dislike in updating firmwares is the whole picture numbering restarts all over again from zero and screws up my folders, order of shots, etc,.. I think I am going to pass this new firmware since I don't even use this feature. It has never worked for me with T and CL. Amazingly, it was working fine with my 109. I think Leica still has lots to learn from Panasonic.

I hope Leica would also take the continuity of photo numbers more seriously in future firmwares.

I haven't tried, but it is not unlikely that the CL updates work the same as the M ones: After updating insert the card that has the last shot taken on it and the camera will pick up the numbers where it left off.

I haven't tried, but it is not unlikely that the CL updates work the same as the M ones: After updating insert the card that has the last shot taken on it and the camera will pick up the numbers where it left off.

I have been doing that with T, But unfortunately, it didn’t work with CL. The camera was creating another folder and ignoring my “older” folder with previous shots.

• Like 1

Back to the Fotos App.........

Downloaded and updated CL with f/w 2.1 (I wasn't asked to save and reload my profiles, unlike with the SL)

Updated the android app on my Huawei P10.

1-click WLAN switch on works well, though I haven't added it to the Fn button yet.

App connects without problems and seems to work.

A big improvement is that the WLAN on the camera stays on under most scenarios:

- disconnecting the app

- putting the phone to sleep

- walking away from the camera with the phone to lose the connection

I haven't had any crashes to test this yet.

Switching the camera off does switch off WLAN, so you have to turn it on again after restart.

This is useful.

Another improvement is that the LCD goes blank once connected. You can now set up the camera on a tripod in a discreet location and NOT have the LCD illuminating the environment.

It is still annoying that the app only works in portrait mode, and you can't zoom the display to help with focusing.

I like the mode implementation with this app: no longer a choice of PASM, but you choose which parameters are set automatically: ISO, aperture or shutter - any combination you wish - plus manual EV. Simple.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I have done firmware updates for M10, CL and SL.  It would be good to have one Fotos thread for all three models (and Q, X, etc...) since the point of the app is to create a common interface and ensure interoperability to the extent camera functions permit.  MODs?

For example.  I've also seen the SL immediate disconnect.  I'm puzzled that when I connect to my M10, I can see useful information on the LCD screen.  When I connect to CL, the screen goes dark and if I touch any CL camera controls on the camera, I get a message "do you want to close the wifi yes/no"  I guess the difference is that the M10 has manual controls, which are coordinated in firmware, while in the CL, all controls are done entirely through the firmware.  With the CL, the initial setting is remembered.  When I switch from remote to picture-viewing, some of the original settings return, but exposure offset does not.  The deeper settings, like touch AF instead of spot, stay the same as they were set during remote operation.

What else gets changed and doesn't change back.  Should it? 

When I try to send user feedback, on either IOS or Android phones, I can't.  It says "you can't do this because the device doesn't have email."  I review my gmail account on the Android device, but don't use the iPad for email.

Some of you have sent user feedback.  Could you describe your email setups?

thanks,

scott