Far better sensor replacement service

Krug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whilst accepting that the pressure of demand for sensor replacement must have reduced significantly I feel that credit should be given where due ... especially given the flack that has been handed out - generally quite fairly in this most unsatisfactory episode. 

I sent my MM in to Leica USA for sensor appraisal and replacement and it was acknowledged two days later on the 27th August with a message confirming that corrosion had 'just started' as I feared.  On the 21st of September - nineteen working days later - I received an email informing me that the work was completed and it arrived home today September the 26th ( an intervening weekend delaying shipping) .

Sensor has been replaced, new leather applied, rangefinder adjusted and CLA completed (with a new sealing ring fitted and a printed circuit adjusted) - it looks as it did when new !  And more importantly given brief testing is clearly performing better than before it was sent in ... as of course it should.

By any standards I would rate that a pretty slick turnaround. In addition the Customer Relations staff (especially Beth Hazlett) deserve warm thanks for several helpful conversations giving advice and help as I struggled with deciding whether to upgrade or stay faithful to my much loved MM - she was patient and tolerant and went out of her way to find answers to my questions where they were not 'standard'  ... she gave every impression of being 'on my side' in getting the best possible options.  In the end I opted to have my MM repaired rather than 'upgraded'  ... and I am glad that I did that.

So credit where due I could hardly be more pleased and satisfied.

• Like 4

Indeed, credit where credit's due! 

I've had a fairly similar turnaround time when sending my M9 to Wetzlar back in 2016. This the first positive comment I've heard about Leica USA for quite a while though. But good news is good news. 

Enjoy your "new-again" MM! (This would be my next "upgrade" instead of the M10, in fact :p

Sorry if that sounded at all like gloating - it was not meant to ... but reading it again it does sound a bit smug !

Clearly the pressure is much reduced from a year or so ago . But perhaps more significantly after all of the criticism that NJ has had maybe there has been some improvement in approach - certainly I was impressed by some aspects of my experience although getting to talk to the person one wanted to speak to was often not easy and the information that the work was finished was more peremptorily conveyed than I would have tolerated in my organization in the past.  Also they haven't learned that a message on an extension that is some days - or even weeks - out of date about returning from a statutory holiday is more than counterproductive !  However change in organisations takes time and praise for slight improvements is more likely to promote further improvement than just more criticism I believe.

Also I thought that the information might encourage others here not to be put off sending their camera in for 'treatment' rather than the initial information that I was given in July that  "I think we are down to only 10 to 12 weeks"  !

Sorry if that sounded at all like gloating - it was not meant to ... but reading it again it does sound a bit smug ! ... Also I thought that the information might encourage others here not to be put off sending their camera in for 'treatment' rather than the initial information that I was given in July that  "I think we are down to only 10 to 12 weeks"  !

Not at all. I took it as informational and an expression of relief. No need to worry.