Will there be an M10 mono?

Giulio Zanni

The M246 followed the M240 by about 2.5 years. Which would put an M10M about 9-10 months from now.

OTOH, there is less "pressure" for an M10M, since the improvements/changes over the M246 would be not as substantial as the M246 vs the CCD MM. Still 24 Mpixels, still CMOS, loses video (probably), slight ISO improvement.

And the - "oddities" - of the M10 sensitometry (what really is the base ISO, exactly? what are the other ISOs, exactly? why does it blow highlights a bit more easily, why is a strong contrast curve applied? - as discussed at length in the M10 forum), may or may not translate over to a Monochrom version, and may or may not be welcome, if they do.

I say all that as a happy M10 shooter, myself.

Unless and until the M(240) platform disappears, I expect the Monochrom will stay on that platform. It's its own animal.

(And, speaking of the longevity of the M240 platform....https://www.dpreview.com/news/9034303849/photokina-2018-hands-on-with-zenit-m)

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A year and a half ago, Stefan Daniel addressed the possibility of an M10 Monochrom in the last question of this discussion....

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/02/the-leica-m10-a-discussion-with-stefan-daniel-and-jesko-von-oeynhausen/

Excerpt....

“One last question. I feel the “no comment” coming, but here goes. Obviously the Monochrom 246 has been a huge hit. Everyone loves it. Any future consideration for making a Monochrom version of the M10?

Stefan: *laughs* Of course, yes, consideration. The point is, as we had for the M9 and the M Monochrom first version, which was sold in parallel to the M240 for a long time, this will be quite similar here. So, the M Monochrom second generation will be there for a while alongside the M10.”

Jeff

Sold the 246 a long ago due to several sensor problems in long exposures. You are welcome to take a look at my web-site with several added images.

. Sold my M246 as well. The M10 files convert to B&W so well and I shoot in Monochrom jpeg mode anyhow. Dreaming of an M-D monochrome M10. Just saying....
  • Like 2

There is always next photokina 2019 in May for an announcement or when they feel they are ready.

On the fence about a new M10M or buying used. I guess for me it all depend on the price point of a new M10M. As someone said above life is short buy now and enjoy or something close to that...  :)

I guess for me it all depend on the price point of a new M10M. 

If the past is any guide, it will be positioned as the most expensive variation on the underlying M body platform. Since the M10-P is $8K in the U.S., I predict the M10 Monochrom will be about $8.5K.

A year and a half ago, Stefan Daniel addressed the possibility of an M10 Monochrom in the last question of this discussion....

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/02/the-leica-m10-a-discussion-with-stefan-daniel-and-jesko-von-oeynhausen/

Excerpt....

“One last question. I feel the “no comment” coming, but here goes. Obviously the Monochrom 246 has been a huge hit. Everyone loves it. Any future consideration for making a Monochrom version of the M10?

Stefan: *laughs* Of course, yes, consideration. The point is, as we had for the M9 and the M Monochrom first version, which was sold in parallel to the M240 for a long time, this will be quite similar here. So, the M Monochrom second generation will be there for a while alongside the M10.”

Jeff

I read in this statement that after a while it’s a bit cumbersome to produce a M240 based monochrome if they just produce M10’s, so it will be more practical to bring out an M10M. But I agree with adan that the surplusvalue over the M246 is relatively limited. An M10PM would be more interesting for customers I think.

The M246 followed the M240 by about 2.5 years. Which would put an M10M about 9-10 months from now.

OTOH, there is less "pressure" for an M10M, since the improvements/changes over the M246 would be not as substantial as the M246 vs the CCD MM. Still 24 Mpixels, still CMOS, loses video (probably), slight ISO improvement.

And the - "oddities" - of the M10 sensitometry (what really is the base ISO, exactly? what are the other ISOs, exactly? why does it blow highlights a bit more easily, why is a strong contrast curve applied? - as discussed at length in the M10 forum), may or may not translate over to a Monochrom version, and may or may not be welcome, if they do.

I say all that as a happy M10 shooter, myself.

Unless and until the M(240) platform disappears, I expect the Monochrom will stay on that platform. It's its own animal.

(And, speaking of the longevity of the M240 platform....https://www.dpreview.com/news/9034303849/photokina-2018-hands-on-with-zenit-m)

I actually think the M246 exposes very similarly to the M10. (having owned both) They behave similarly with high contract lighting and similarly the way you need to protect the highlights.

• Like 1

I read in this statement that after a while it’s a bit cumbersome to produce a M240 based monochrome if they just produce M10’s, so it will be more practical to bring out an M10M.

I don’t know what you mean by ‘cumbersome’. Surely it’s simpler (provided the parts are still available and there’s still demand) to continue to produce the same M246 than to develop, produce and market a new M10M. It seems more likely that the decision to produce the latter will be based on a similar demand/profit assessment rather than the difficulty of continuing to produce the M246. But I might be missing the point or the considerations.

Jeff

Cumbersome is a lot of hustle. My thought is that it is not that practical to keep two production lines for two different base models. The M10 has a different physical setup. So I presume that Leica wants to finish off the M240 line when the parts are used up.

The first two Monochrom versions were each introduced late in the product cycle of their respective parent models (M9 and M240).  One imagines Leica has two goals in doing it that way... to minimize cannibalization of parent model (M9, M240, and, now, M10) sales; and to help provide a late-cycle revenue boost as parent model sales show their inevitable decline.

My guess is we'll see an M10-based Monochrom sometime in 2019.

Edited by Jager
  • Like 1

I was surprised to learn from the interview that the M-246 and the M10 have the same sensor. 

"The M246 has the same resolution sensor as the M10, but because of the lack of interpolation, the 246 is still the best quality for B&W photography."

Or does "same resolution sensor" simply refer to 24mp CMOS?

I think Jager has this right -- there will be a Monochrom, and next year.

Quick memory check:

M9 available September 24th 2009. 

Monochrom available September 12th 2012.

M-240 available March 1 2013.

M-246 available May 15th 2015.

So if memory serves, right there, they cut one year out of the cycle.

M10 available January 19th 2017.

If they follow the path of the M-246, an M10 platform Monochrom could be released as early as January 2019.  And my recollection of the release of both Monochroms is that they were released as a Leica-sponsored/hosted event, so no need to tied into a trade show.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 9:49 PM, johnbuckley said:

I was surprised to learn from the interview that the M-246 and the M10 have the same sensor. 

"The M246 has the same resolution sensor as the M10, but because of the lack of interpolation, the 246 is still the best quality for B&W photography."

Or does "same resolution sensor" simply refer to 24mp CMOS?

I think Jager has this right -- there will be a Monochrom, and next year.

Quick memory check:

M9 available September 24th 2009. 

Monochrom available September 12th 2012.

M-240 available March 1 2013.

M-246 available May 15th 2015.

So if memory serves, right there, they cut one year out of the cycle.

M10 available January 19th 2017.

If they follow the path of the M-246, an M10 platform Monochrom could be released as early as January 2019.  And my recollection of the release of both Monochroms is that they were released as a Leica-sponsored/hosted event, so no need to tied into a trade show.

In a couple of months, then ☺️

Would it be Monochrom M10 (with LCD) or M10-D Mono ?

The best is that Leica let us the choices of LCD-less or with LCD Monochrom 😂.