M Camera made by Zenit

Leon_B.

I bought a nice vintage Jupiter 3 (Sonnar based) lens in St Petersburg last April. I tested out a few examples in the store with my M10 and the young fellow who was there said that Russians could not afford Leicas. I had already noted that Leica Stores in Russia were charging an additional mark up of 20% for current Leica items. I would assume that the Krasnogorsk items will be sold for considerably less than their Wetzlar counterparts if they are to match the lower incomes in Russia. This will also provide some nice cameras and, particularly, lenses for Leica users outside of Russia. As for Dunk's point above about telephotos my recollection is that there were some nice rifle stock and mirror lenses available in the FSU days.

William

IF it is an M-mount camera (as the name suggests) it might be a nice way to pull in new M users, or a decent backup camera. Is it just me, or does it look more like a Digilux2 than like a M240?

Anyway, Leitski is here ;)

Thought: Could that 35 - 1.0 be  a Leica Noctilux design that didn't quite make it in the 12.000 Euro quality bracket?

• Like 4

Images are not mine, used here only for illustration for the benefit of all members

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Some more images

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Since there looks to be a microphone at the left hand end of the top deck and the M button on the top deck it seems likely that it will offer video.

The pictures show some clear similarities with the M240 ... including the lack of a frame selector lever.  I wonder what the rangefinder magnification is.

So it has an M-mount 35/1 Zenitar lens but it leaves me wondering how good it will be optically since many optical shortcomings in lenses these days can be corrected in-camera.  If the lens needs optical correction then its shortcomings will be emphasised when used on a Leica M-mount camera.  I wonder whether it supports 6-bit coded Leica lenses through a similar detection system.

Pete.

• Like 1

I sure hope my Zenit 12sd just got more expensive (like 20 bucks maybe?)  :D

The Zenit M is technically based on the Leica M Type 240 platform, but was modified both in terms of hardware and software.

Interesting to know more details though, is it really tad different or just rebadged M240?

Edit: Edges look a bit different and angular, so not 100% M240 shell for sure.

Edited by totocaster

Since there looks to be a microphone at the left hand end of the top deck and the M button on the top deck it seems likely that it will offer video.

The pictures show some clear similarities with the M240 ... including the lack of a frame selector lever.  I wonder what the rangefinder magnification is.

So it has an M-mount 35/1 Zenitar lens but it leaves me wondering how good it will be optically since many optical shortcomings in lenses these days can be corrected in-camera.  If the lens needs optical correction then its shortcomings will be emphasised when used on a Leica M-mount camera.  I wonder whether it supports 6-bit coded Leica lenses through a similar detection system.

Pete.

6 bit coding is for 'wusses'. I am sure that the Russian Rig will be for 'real men'. 

William

This seems silly, though presumably it appeals to some rich Russians. I'd rather have an M mount camera with a better resolution sensor in the 42-50MP range (or at least 36MP). When is Leica going to catch up with where Nikon and others have been for years in terms of sensors? I'm guessing never. 24MP is OK, but the good lenses cry out for more resolving power for landscape work or to reduce moire and color aliasing for photographing people and their clothing.