Leica M10 Firmware 2.6.5.0 released

indergaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's not "bugs". The app is unusable at all, so there is no way to "test it".

It's not beta for sure. But it should come with a huge warning:

YOUR CAMERA WILL FREEZE!!!

Camera?

No issue with camera or app freezing. Ive had a rare app crash...but never seen the app freeze, much less the camera.

Hi, I have no first hand experience with this version, but my understanding is that this FW is not compatible with the Leica M App:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/289827-leica-fotos-app-supports-android-finally/?p=3599818

Version 1.1.2 of IOS Leica M app compatible with M10 2.6.5.0 firmware was just released.

Not sure whether it supports previous firmware version though!

Edited by ckuwajima

So I updated the firmware of my M10 and installed the beta of the FOTOS Android app on my Pixel 2XL. 

It doesn't work.

I'm able to connect the camera with my phone wirelessly. But as soon as I try to use the app's remote function my M10 locks up completely. I can't even turn it off and have to remove the battery in order to restart it. Clearly Leica has a lot more work to do before FOTOS is ready for primetime.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is some surprising news:

Today the "old" "Leica M App" was updated for the camera's firmware 2.6.5.0 ! So the warning that you would not be able to use the old app any longer after updating to 2.6.5.0 is no longer valid (at least for iOS devices; I do not know whether the update for the "Leica M App" enables Android devices as well, I do not think so).  

Some ideas of pros and cons for the two different apps:

There is not much difference in connection times for both apps. With the "Leica M App" you have to tap two times on the App, with the "Leica Fotos App" only one time. With the old app you could connect the camera and the device to an existant WLAN. Since firmware 2.6.5.0 you cannot connect the camera to another WLAN anymore, the camera just creates it's own WLAN. It is not possible to connect both apps to your camera at the same time.

Even though there is a password for the camera's WLAN i could connct the "old" "Leica M App" without entering a password. I am not sure whether this is due to my settings for the camera, have to look at it.

The old "Leica M App" switches positon from horizontal to vertical on your device, according to the devices position. This is a big pro for the old app, since the fixed position of the new App does not allow you to use the long side of your device even if your camera is in horizontal position.  

Other than the "Fotos App" the old app allows you to zoom into the view and change the position of the focus point - a big pro expecially when you use a larger device like an iPad. 

Otherwise the old app is strictly bound to the settings of your camera, so you cannot change shutter time or Iso with the app, as long as you don't change the settings of your camera. The "fotos" app is more flexible in this respect, though I admit that different settings for ISO and/or shutter times in the app and in the camera are sometimes very confusing for me.

With the old app you can access more points in the menu and change their settings. With the "Fotos App" you can only access WB, file format, JPG size, and metering mode. Even though this seems to be more restricted, I think it's more realistic than having a long list.

So I updated the firmware of my M10 and installed the beta of the FOTOS Android app on my Pixel 2XL. 

It doesn't work.

I'm able to connect the camera with my phone wirelessly. But as soon as I try to use the app's remote function my M10 locks up completely. I can't even turn it off and have to remove the battery in order to restart it. Clearly Leica has a lot more work to do before FOTOS is ready for primetime.

Exactly the same experience with my iPhone, so the app is broken regardless the OS.

Really such a great job Leica, amazing... NOT :(

• Like 1

It's not "bugs". The app is unusable at all, so there is no way to "test it".

It's not beta for sure. But it should come with a huge warning:

YOUR CAMERA WILL FREEZE!!!

It's beta test! Come on unknown member!

There are so many factors that mean your specific app, operating system, camera, card, previous firmware etc could have made this happen. You are testing to provide them the feedback. Submit the error through test flight and keep testing it. If you have a combination of gear that isn't working, however frustrating for you, you are genuinely going to help the app be better. In future if you are not willing to go through this process don't accept to be a tester. 

• Like 2

I was able to update the M10 to 2.6.5.0 and run the old Leica M app v1.1.2 b794 on iPhone 10s. App connect process took some fiddling. But it does work and I am able to use the app settings and take photos. Need to make sure the iPhone doesn't fall asleep or you have to reconnect the app to the camera again.

Edited by LBJ2

I have updated my M10 with the 2.6.5.0 firmware and all appears to be OK.

I then installed the Leica FOTOS app from the Apple App Store on my iPhone 6, the strange thing is the app comes up as Leica Gallery Sao Paulo !!!!!!!!!!!

On launching the app it just sits there with three rotating red dots (Leica Red Dots ????) and the word  Carregando... underneath. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by EricC

I have updated my M10 with the 2.6.5.0 firmware and all appears to be OK.

I then installed the Leica FOTOS app from the Apple App Store on my iPhone 6, the strange thing is the app comes up as Leica Gallery Sao Paulo !!!!!!!!!!!

On launching the app it just sits there with three rotating red dots (Leica Red Dots ????) and the word  Carregando... underneath. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi EricC

I don't think that gallery app has anything to do with the new Leica Fotos App. I don't think the new Leica Fotos app is available on the App Store. Should be released end of October. Those using the current Fotos app are participating in a Beta test/Beta App.

http://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Fotos/Leica-Fotos

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

I've ordered a used M10 and I'm guessing when I get it, it won't have the latest firmware. I've updated firmware on my M9 and M8 but is there anything I should know here? Should I update to the latest here if it's not already there? Do I need to update previous updates in sequence if it's a few back? 

I assume it's going to work similarly to previous Ms -- make sure the M has a full battery so it doesn't run out of juice during update, copy the new firmware to a compatible card formatted for the camera, turn it off, plug in the card and then turn it on, or something along those lines?